diy solar

diy solar

New Growatt hybrid inverter SPH10000TL- HU-US split phase

There's some weird pricing on ebay for the ARO. ARO 19.8kWh listed
Another thing to be careful of, the early ARO cabinets did not have 2 RJ-45 plugs so you could connect 2 in parallel to the inverter. With those (I have 2 being used as expansion cabinets so it does not matter) you would have to manually wire the RS-485 and CAN wires to connect two in parallel to a version 2 or version 3 inverter. That would trip up a lot of folks.

I wish Growatt would be upfront about all these changes. Its confusing having different products essentially being sold under the same name.
Actually it’s the sellers. For example, the V1, V2 and V3 MIN-US inverters have different part numbers. The sellers do not list the part numbers. Te only sellers who seemed to understand the difference when I asked them was Renvu and SanTan.

A little bird just told me that these are on the way to retailers and should/could be available next month

Let's go!

Yes, my understanding is that GrowattUSA has one in their facility in CA and are testing it.
They should post vids!
What’s the current deal with the batteries? Ie price point and form factor. I’m looking for weather proof exterior batteries
They can use the lead acid batteries so let much any battery you want to use should be compatible in open loop. The manual lists a couple of batteries that are compatible in closed loop

They should post vids!

They can use the lead acid batteries so let much any battery you want to use should be compatible in open loop. The manual lists a couple of batteries that are compatible in closed loop
That’s where I’m different than most. Batteries are easy to really mess up and that’s expensive and dangerous. I was once a submariner and I am very familiar with the catastrophic things that can occur with careless and haphazard use of batteries of any type. I want nothing but closed loop and I want that loop to be rock solid and very little if anything the user can change to mess stuff up - especially if that battery is in the basement of my home.

That’s where I’m different than most. Batteries are easy to really mess up and that’s expensive and dangerous. I was once a submariner and I am very familiar with the catastrophic things that can occur with careless and haphazard use of batteries of any type. I want nothing but closed loop and I want that loop to be rock solid and very little if anything the user can change to mess stuff up - especially if that battery is in the basement of my home.
Thousands of people are using batteries in open loop with no issues- not being careless or haphazard is the key.

Last edited:
I couldn't find much standalone documentation on UL9540 combos (not as cleanly as some other vendors). I thought I found something but it was for another inverter of theirs.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but do these inverters have any kind of AC pass thru for grid power? Say the PV isn't making enough power during the day, does it just pull from the grid (assuming you have it connected in such a way).

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but do these inverters have any kind of AC pass thru for grid power? Say the PV isn't making enough power during the day, does it just pull from the grid (assuming you have it connected in such a way).
These inverters are primarily intended for grid tie and hybrid. So certainly they work this way.

I would hazard that these inverters are a poor choice as an off-grid AIO since it's not the primary design target.

Thousands of people are using batteries in open loop with no issues- not being careless or haphazard is the key.
I'll take open loop over closed loop any day of the week.
My BMS's are programmed with safety margins factored and the charger is set appropriately so I should never hit the BMS setpoints.

Yes. But it'll pull from battery first if pv isn't enough

I would hazard that these inverters are a poor choice as an off-grid AIO since it's not the primary design target.
I’m not sure what your reasoning is for this statement? It seems to me it’s very suitable for both off grid and gridtied or a combination of both. Only thing l don’t like ( if I was interested in actually buying one or more I’d look a lot harder though) is it’s not able to use high voltage battery.

1. It’s able to do 10kW, gridtied output or backup output. You can stack up to 3. That’s a lot of PV and battery input capability.

2. It is intended to be used with a generator if that is desired. There is a separate document on using a generator. First link:
blob:https://community.growatt.com/e854c938-4eb9-431f-8c8b-5b51b8d7962e
Edit: link not working, it’s the attached PDF below.
3. It can be ac coupled with another inverter of a different type, as many people are doing and most inverters like this are capable of.

4. It does split phase. I don’t like that because that makes it heavy. I prefer a separate auto transformer. That’s one reason I went with the MIN-US inverters in the first place.

5. If you read pages 49-51, you will see you can make it do pretty much whatever you want with respect to where PV, battery and grid power goes, just as is the case with the MIN-US.

The datasheet is here:

Attachments

• SPH_10000TL-HU-US_Generator_Application_Note.pdf
    935.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I’m not sure what your reasoning is for this statement? It seems to me it’s very suitable for both off grid and gridtied or a combination of both. Only thing l don’t like ( if I was interested in actually buying one or more I’d look a lot harder though) is it’s not able to use high voltage battery.

Overconfidence after 20 years as an engineer in my product spider sense/ability to guess stuff after skimming some shady documentation. Their documentation feels very grid tie oriented and they sell through Renvu etc which is also more biased to grid tie.

EDIT: Also what level of off-grid are folks on this forum putting it through? My overconfident spider sense says that I'm willing to be a guinea pig for what I perceive to be the target market / what I would surmise gets the most internal & external testing etc.

Overconfidence after 20 years as an engineer in my product spider sense/ability to guess stuff after skimming some shady documentation. Their documentation feels very grid tie oriented and they sell through Renvu etc which is also more biased to grid tie.

EDIT: Also what level of off-grid are folks on this forum putting it through? My overconfident spider sense says that I'm willing to be a guinea pig for what I perceive to be the target market / what I would surmise gets the most internal & external testing etc.
You have a gridtied or off grid system?

You have a gridtied or off grid system?
Gridtie and I live in dense inner suburbs with insufficient area for me to live off-grid / not allowed to run generator for off-grid unlike the homesteading folks here.

So as I said, supreme overconfidence since I'll never put money where my mouth is about off-grid. But I do like to mentally engineer stuff for fun, and am happy to be told I'm wrong as a learning experience.

Back