diy solar

diy solar

New Growatt hybrid inverter SPH10000TL- HU-US split phase

I don't know about breaker sizing. Why would it be too small? I know the luxpower and solark have 90a gen terminals and they are 12kw inverters
I would think you would not want to try to use an 80 amp breaker for something that is expected to be 80 amps.

Had not thought about that….. I feel even better about my decision to stay away from ATS products and make sure my system is sized to not need to go back and forth unless something significant occurs.
Maybe someone with more real-world experience would think otherwise, but my problem what that specific version of ATS-US is that it is kind of "dumb" for what it tries to do. If the transfer is implemented inside the hybrid itself, the hybrid is obligated by UL1741 to sync / debounce transient power spikes when reconnecting.

So there's a hybrid inverter on one side of the system with modern smarts, and a cringe ATS relay on the other part of the system. Granted, this implementation of ATS is cheap.

The more I look into this, the more I’m tempted to use this inverter. Just wish we could get some sort of actual expected availability date and price structure.

The more I look into this, the more I’m tempted to use this inverter. Just wish we could get some sort of actual expected availability date and price structure.
I’d say call the Growatt sales number and/or ping both Renvu and Self2solar and see if they will investigate when they will become available. I say that because those are only two companies I know of selling the higher end Growatt stuff and have been responsive when I have reached out to them on other things in the past. And SanTan was selling Growatt stuff last year, not sure if they still are.

Good!

This inverter could be a serious competitor.

Hang in there. I think we will see some this month.
Paging @SignatureSolarJames

I am a bit suspect of PV arc fault protection. AFCI breakers have been a combative discussion for residential electricians. Some say its worthless.
You need it to get a permit for on-building installations. One of the big problems with overseas listed equipment like Victron SCCs and those heat pumps with direct solar. If you look at the details of their spec sheet they don't have arc fault detection.

There's a thread here about how PITA it is to debug arc fault errors when you add extra things into the mix like optimizers (which tend to be cross-vendor). Lots of fingers pointed in all directions when stuff errors out.

And when I say overseas listed equipment, I mean stuff that’s mostly for overseas use, gets a minor redesign to pass the minimum bar for UL. But it doesn’t get redesigned to the extent needed to pass enough for a lot of use cases.

UL isn’t really a binary thing for solar, there are details with which supplement, optional feature, etc are present.

So don’t buy anything until you get a permit and interconnect locked 😂

I’d say call the Growatt sales number and/or ping both Renvu and Self2solar and see if they will investigate when they will become available. I say that because those are only two companies I know of selling the higher end Growatt stuff and have been responsive when I have reached out to them on other things in the past. And SanTan was selling Growatt stuff last year, not sure if they still are.

We talked about this at one point, but when I emailed Renvu about it a few weeks back, they had never even heard of the thing. Maybe Self2Solar has…

After exchanging a few emails with different retailers, one says they expect to get these in stock, sometime in May... No price quoted, yet...

Anyone see one of these in the wild yet? The feature set looks quite attractive and am designing a system to use it. Would like to have some idea of the quality and implementation of the features before I proceed too much further.

I am limited to ONLY inverters on this list - and the other Growatt units share the same communications - so I would think/hope approval would be fairly rapid.

My understanding is that they should be out somewhat soon, like in the next 2 months or so at most. I've got my permit pulled using this inverter, 2 of them paralleled, to be specific. I'll probably order them as soon as I see them available somewhere, but my DIY install is going to take some time to get done.

My understanding is that they should be out somewhat soon, like in the next 2 months or so at most. I've got my permit pulled using this inverter, 2 of them paralleled, to be specific. I'll probably order them as soon as I see them available somewhere, but my DIY install is going to take some time to get done.
My plan is similar, two units paralleled. Looking at Sinclair ground mount, south facing, about 50 panels, approx 20kw. Still checking fit on property and string design. I’d be very grateful to hear about your experiences. My install is likely summer 2025.
What panels/kw you feeding each inverter?

My plan is similar, two units paralleled. Looking at Sinclair ground mount, south facing, about 50 panels, approx 20kw. Still checking fit on property and string design. I’d be very grateful to hear about your experiences. My install is likely summer 2025.
What panels/kw you feeding each inverter?

I'm planning 56 370W panels. I'm planning on using 2 MPPTs on each inverter, one with 8 panels in series, and one with 2 strings of 10 paralleled panels. Leaves me room for adding panels easily down the road, should I choose to. So each inverter is going to have 10.36kW on it, undersized a bit, I know.

I like the Sinclair mount, just don't have any way to drive the posts. I ended up going with APA Ready Rack, picked it up today actually.

My understanding is that they should be out somewhat soon, like in the next 2 months or so at most.
Self2Solar has them listed for preorder, website says arriving mid May. See link below.

Back