diy solar

diy solar

New Tariffs in the States

I'm trying to read through the thread and understand if we would be impacted. If you have batteries already shipped, they will still be subject to the 100% tariff?

I'm trying to read through the thread and understand if we would be impacted. If you have batteries already shipped, they will still be subject to the 100% tariff?
I believe if they have not gotten through customs at the port of entry before the tariffs then yes.

As for EVs from China, I understand that the BYD's have quite a bad safety record for battery fires if those are the EVs that are being taxed. So one reason not to worry too much about this particular issue, if it is as bad as I heard.
REALLY ? That's news to me, and we have as much BDDY as TSLA and of course I keep an eagle eye on those shares & companies. Sorry to say but BYD has a good safety record with batteries and their Raod Safety Testing surpasses even European standards.

Reactions: Bop
I was really hoping the new Eve 560ah would be available before this.

As always, if you ask a question of the Internet, it will respond with yes and no and maybe.

First of all the hundred percent tariff is for electric vehicles, as far as we know batteries will not have 100% tariff.

Second of all while the announcement is due on Tuesday, we don’t know when the actual Tariff schedule will be implemented. It could be next week it could be next year, we will know more on Tuesday.

Third of all, if your batteries arrive and clear customs before the new tariff schedule goes into effect, then you will not pay the extra tariff.

#WeDemandRigidlyDefinedAreasOfDoubtAndUncertainty

As always, if you ask a question of the Internet, it will respond with yes and no and maybe.
Truth!
First of all the hundred percent tariff is for electric vehicles, as far as we know batteries will not have 100% tariff.
Oh good.
Second of all while the announcement is due on Tuesday, we don’t know when the actual Tariff schedule will be implemented. It could be next week it could be next year, we will know more on Tuesday.
I hate waiting.
Third of all, if your batteries arrive and clear customs before the new tariff schedule goes into effect, then you will not pay the extra tariff.
Right.
#WeDemandRigidlyDefinedAreasOfDoubtAndUncertainty
:ROFLMAO: Love it, so true!

makes me glad all the hardware I need is sitting in my house/garage or already online.

picked up 2 eg4 indoor batteries (28.6kw total) a few weeks ago, and 20 Aptos bifacial panels, I'm set for at least a decade I think :)

REALLY ? That's news to me, and we have as much BDDY as TSLA and of course I keep an eagle eye on those shares & companies. Sorry to say but BYD has a good safety record with batteries and their Raod Safety Testing surpasses even European standards.

Maybe it is because they have more EVs than we do ?

I do know that BYD is certainly not 100% perfect in this respect.

Here is the video where I heard about the BYD Blade batteries. Maybe it is only these particular batteries that had trouble ?
And maybe they have fixed the problem ?

BTW, this guy and his friend lived and worked in China for about 10 years.

One of the comments said;
2 months ago
That's strange I was told blade batteries was one of the safest batteries made

boB

Last edited:

Here is the video where I heard about the BYD Blade batteries. Maybe it is only these particular batteries that had trouble ?

2 months ago

boB
BYD Blade batteries are considered safe from what I’ve seen. Tesla uses them in their German made vehicles BYD nail test

I’m also confused by China EV tariffs. I’m not aware of any Chinese auto company selling EVs in the US currently.
BYD just said they have no plans BYD US statement

2 months ago

boB
You REALLY need to vet your sources more carefully- I didn't even need to watch it to know immediately that was a video by a utuber named Sepentza- a notorious antiChina (and rabid anti EV) utuber with a long history of 'distorting the truth' aka lying... (he is a far rightwing supporter, born in South Africa, and has a VERY dubious past indeed)

Responsible for the 'ghost cities' nonsense, and also literally the starter of the 'fields of abandoned EVs left to rot' nonsense... (and the spread of the 'EVs catch fire' garbage against BYD- he seems to have a particular hatred of BYD for some reason)

BYD's blade batteries are indeed safe (and yes, Tesla does indeed use them in both the EU made Model 3, and also now the Chinese manufactured Model 3 as well)- BYD manufacture their own batteries, and have done since the first release of the E6, back in 2009... they manufacture more GWh of batteries per year than Tesla, and are one of the biggest manufacturers in the world...

They also outsell Tesla worldwide- and have been selling cars since 2009, and trucks and buses since 2012 (actual trucks- not US 'utes')- here in Australia BYD outsells Tesla (indeed my next car is going to be a Atto 3, later this year), NSW has been using their buses (nicknamed 'ElectricBlu) since 2016, and EV buses now make up almost a third of the inner city fleet in Sydney
2009 E6 was first released
1715483969637.png
2012, first BYD commercial vehicles went on sale
1715484040927.png
2016 Australia bought the first 6 BYD electric buses used in Australia (they bought another 40 in 2017, and by 2023, there were over 250 of them running around Sydney, with almost the entire diesel fleet being replaced by electric buses by 2028...)
1715484341886.png
1715484389279.png
In 2020, BYD released a shot of their 100th electric 'semi' sold in the US...
1715484503021.png

Like I said, I am looking at getting the Atto 3 later this year, a mid sized 'SUV', with a 450km range per charge (20% to 80% in under half an hour), has a 1200kg towing capacity, and is in Australia, $20000 cheaper for the LR version than the cheapest Tesla 3...
1715484985196.png
BYD do actually know what they are doing....

Last edited:
You REALLY need to vet your sources more carefully- I didn't even need to watch it to know immediately that was a video by a utuber named Sepentza- a notorious antiChina (and rabid anti EV) utuber with a long history of 'distorting the truth' aka lying... (he is a far rightwing supporter, born in South Africa, and has a VERY dubious past indeed)

Responsible for the 'ghost cities' nonsense, and also literally the starter of the 'fields of abandoned EVs left to rot' nonsense... (and the spread of the 'EVs catch fire' garbage against BYD- he seems to have a particular hatred of BYD for some reason)

BYD's blade batteries are indeed safe (and yes, Tesla does indeed use them in both the EU made Model 3, and also now the Chinese manufactured Model 3 as well)- BYD manufacture their own batteries, and have done since the first release of the E6, back in 2009... they manufacture more GWh of batteries per year than Tesla, and are one of the biggest manufacturers in the world...

They also outsell Tesla worldwide- and have been selling cars since 2009, and trucks and buses since 2012 (actual trucks- not US 'utes')- here in Australia BYD outsells Tesla (indeed my next car is going to be a Atto 3, later this year), NSW has been using their buses (nicknamed 'ElectricBlu) since 2016, and EV buses now make up almost a third of the inner city fleet in Sydney
2009 E6 was first released
View attachment 214848
2012, first BYD commercial vehicles went on sale
View attachment 214849
2016 Australia bought the first 6 BYD electric buses used in Australia (they bought another 40 in 2017, and by 2023, there were over 250 of them running around Sydney, with almost the entire diesel fleet being replaced by electric buses by 2028...)
View attachment 214850
View attachment 214851
In 2020, BYD released a shot of their 100th electric 'semi' sold in the US...
View attachment 214852

Like I said, I am looking at getting the Atto 3 later this year, a mid sized 'SUV', with a 450km range per charge (20% to 80% in under half an hour), has a 1200kg towing capacity, and is in Australia, $20000 cheaper for the LR version than the cheapest Tesla 3...
View attachment 214853
BYD do actually know what they are doing....
The "Blade" prismatic cells are solid, but that's not the only type of cells BYD use. They are moving away from their pouch cells in their hybrids to "short blade" prismatics due to concerns about leakage.

From Jan:

"BYD unveiled in 2021 its self-developed hybrid technologies including a blade-shaped battery pack containing pouch cells which it said could achieve a higher charge and discharge efficiency specifically required by plug-in hybrid (PHEV) cars.

It uses such batteries in all of its PHEV models, which made up 48% of its total car sales of 3 million units in 2023 and are almost all sold in China. BYD does not source batteries externally, and the batteries it makes are mostly for its own use.
The automaker plans to replace the pouch batteries in its PHEVs with a type of prismatic battery known as "Short Blade", which is similar in structure to the Blade battery it uses in pure electric vehicles with stacked foils but is shorter in length, one of the sources said."

There are a couple of Genuine FUDster's on Youtube Ohh Lorrdie the krud they spew forth. Some are pretty darn slick, well funded by externals to push such messages too.

Reactions: Bop
The "Blade" prismatic cells are solid, but that's not the only type of cells BYD use. They are moving away from their pouch cells in their hybrids to "short blade" prismatics due to concerns about leakage.

From Jan:

"BYD unveiled in 2021 its self-developed hybrid technologies including a blade-shaped battery pack containing pouch cells which it said could achieve a higher charge and discharge efficiency specifically required by plug-in hybrid (PHEV) cars.

It uses such batteries in all of its PHEV models, which made up 48% of its total car sales of 3 million units in 2023 and are almost all sold in China. BYD does not source batteries externally, and the batteries it makes are mostly for its own use.
The automaker plans to replace the pouch batteries in its PHEVs with a type of prismatic battery known as "Short Blade", which is similar in structure to the Blade battery it uses in pure electric vehicles with stacked foils but is shorter in length, one of the sources said."
BYD doesn't currently sell ANY hybrid in Australia, or indeed anywhere else but China AFAIK, although that is about to change this year with them bringing out the 'ute' to Australia

The BYD Shark, the first BYD ute, is supposed to be on sale in early 2025, there are at least one and maybe two already in Australia that have been spotted doing test driving in either BEV or hybrid form
1715511728669.png
https://www.drive.com.au/news/2025-byd-shark-first-official-images/
At least it looks better than that stupid Tesla lol

It isn't the first electric ute in Australia, with LDV already having theirs available. but the BYD is a far better contender (the LDV in pure EV configuration is both quite expensive, and has a limited 330km range...)

1715512727957.png
https://www.drive.com.au/news/2023-ldv-et60-price-and-specs/

BYD doesn't currently sell ANY hybrid in Australia, or indeed anywhere else but China AFAIK, although that is about to change this year with them bringing out the 'ute' to Australia

The BYD Shark, the first BYD ute, is supposed to be on sale in early 2025, there are at least one and maybe two already in Australia that have been spotted doing test driving in either BEV or hybrid form
View attachment 214870
https://www.drive.com.au/news/2025-byd-shark-first-official-images/
At least it looks better than that stupid Tesla lol

It isn't the first electric ute in Australia, with LDV already having theirs available. but the BYD is a far better contender (the LDV in pure EV configuration is both quite expensive, and has a limited 330km range...)

View attachment 214874
https://www.drive.com.au/news/2023-ldv-et60-price-and-specs/
Yes the article mentioned that I think 98% of their hybrids are sold domestically.

I think they'll watch the US based manufacturers fight it out into a race to the bottom price war before contemplating entering the market. No need to enter market now and become the punching bag for the domestics.

The industry will just move products to other locations for shipping. BYD is already discussing building in Mexico to avoid US tariffs.

What happened to the good old US of A and free markets ….. Let companies fail if they can’t compete, it’s really that simple. I’m all for letting BYD sell cars in the US, if it puts Elon out of business tuff sh…t.

Back