diy solar

diy solar

Non combustible backing board

Santa Fe Big Sky

I have seen plenty of builds where the entire charger, shunt, breakers, inverters, etc are laid out on a piece of plywood. Probably ok but I really would rather attach everything to a non combustible non conducting backer board. Any suggestions on what to use? I’ve seen some of the pros using a black plastic looking board but can’t find anything describing.

thanks

Most installers I know just paint the plywood black. This might be the plastic look you are referring to. Latex paints are not very flammable and therefore give you some fire resistance. The plastics are very expensive. You could also use a fire retardant intumescent paint but the paint is expensive.

I would personally choose laminating a piece of aluminum to a piece of plywood before using plastics. Just don't forget to ground the aluminum.

I just use plywood or OSB on my garage walls because it is easier to attach sub panels and small devices to it. I do give it a coat of grey latex paint to give it an industrial look. Most electrical boxes do a pretty good job of containing sparks. I usually put shunts and buss bars in an electrical box or metal cabinet so no wires or conductors are exposed.

My first van I used an old speed limit street sign. Hard aluminum difficult to cut to dimension, but it drilled and hole saw was easy enough.

You can get sheets of G10 it isn't cheap. I used 1/4" as my backboard when I was using a mobile setup. I'm a knifemaker so I have G10 in abundance.?

grey PVC is often used for such panel, but it is flammable.
Cement board is cool, but hard to find a flat one, difficult to cut and drill, but that's really the best.

That one goes over my head. What are school zone solar panels?

Hardibacker board is certainly fire proof. But it's a b1tch to work with. No matter what you do, it's going to create dust, forever. It sucks to drill in and sucks to cut. But it's the greatest thing in the world for under my tile!

Consider using Glasliner FRP Class A fire-retardant wall liner panels. I haven't used the Class A panels, only the Class C panels that you can get at Home Depot. The Class C panels are what you see in bathrooms and kitchens. I cut the FRP material with a circular saw, drill into it easily and it adheres with an FRP specific glue.

You forgot to use the sarcasm font. :)
It is amazing the variety of things I have learned on this forum that will not only improve my technical knowledge but my every day communication with family and friends. (y) (I couldn't find the serious emoticon or font)

Did you happen to use school zone solar panels with that?
Sorry my wife says my sense of humor is lost on most people, especially her. I always thought a funny gag cover for Mother Earth Mews would be “How to build an off grid backwoods solar cabin for free using school zone solar powered signs”.

anyway back to the subject at hand. I bought a HDPE cutting board to use as a mounting board. Though it would look nice, easy to cut and drill, very strong and only $7. But then after researching it a bit I found out while the plastic is fairly heat resistant it will burn and if so will continue to burn on its own. So now I’ve ordered some PVC sheet with similar workability but will not burn. More like the stuff electrical boxes are made of. We will see.

It is amazing the variety of things I have learned on this forum that will not only improve my technical knowledge but my every day communication with family and friends. (y) (I couldn't find the serious emoticon or font)

Ah, for actual talking you need the finger quotes.

tenor.gif

Oh good one. I didn't even think about solar lighted signs. I have seen them but not many around me. But, nope just a common 45 MPH from the state road, so it is 24 inch square.

Back