diy solar

diy solar

Off Grid EG4 6800EX with LifePower4 Batteries unexpected shut down

VanDu

Last night I turned off my Telsa charger using my phone app. My EG4 6500EX-48 and LifePower4 batteries all faulted out. I have been using my system to charge my Tesla for the past year with no problems. I tried turning the system back on and the batteries make a clicking sound and then fault out. I can turn on my inverters using my solar array but cannot turn on any loads. I read on the forum similar problems happening to others with a similar set up but now posts showing how things were resolved. I tried updating my firmware on my batteries but when I click on the Get Boot Information button it shows Boot Failed in the status on the bottom of the screen. I have 2 questions: 1) what would cause my system to shut down and now allow me to restart it; 2) what would be causing the issue with the error when attempting to update the firmware. I put the dip switches on 0 (all down) and disconnected the positive and negative power cables and RS485 connectors. Please let me know if there is a resolution. Also, I contacted SS to get the new preloaded EG4 LifePower4 firmware gadget and they told me they were not currently available but would let me know when I could get one. Crickets!

Are you using the correct cable between your computer and each battery? The battery requires you to use pins 1&2 connected to the computer via an RS485 to USB converter. Pins7&8 are reserved for battery to battery communications. The baud rate needs to be 9600. The BMS_Tool will talk to the batteries on the pins 7&8 RS485 bus but will not allow you to update the firmware. The cable needs to use pins 1&2. In addition if you in the past upgraded the battery firmware the baud rate on the pins 7&8 RS485 bus was increased to 19200.

Sometimes it is easier to upgrade firmware if you do not have a "master" battery in the stack as it causes extra communications and "activity" within each BMS. Temporarily set the battery with address 0 to the next address after the highest address in use. You need to open and then close the battery breaker in order for the address change to take effect.

On the "BatInfo" tab select the "Pack number" for the number of batteries in the stack and the "Start adr" to the lowest address in the stack (probably 1 if you changed the master)

On the "BatInfo" tab can you view the battery status of any of the batteries?

The battery addresses do not need to be set to 0 to update firmware. Just make sure you have the correct "Device address" selected in the "Upgrade operation" box on the "ProgramUpdate" tab.

Are you using the correct cable between your computer and each battery? The battery requires you to use pins 1&2 connected to the computer via an RS485 to USB converter. Pins7&8 are reserved for battery to battery communications. The baud rate needs to be 9600. The BMS_Tool will talk to the batteries on the pins 7&8 RS485 bus but will not allow you to update the firmware. The cable needs to use pins 1&2. In addition if you in the past upgraded the battery firmware the baud rate on the pins 7&8 RS485 bus was increased to 19200.

Sometimes it is easier to upgrade firmware if you do not have a "master" battery in the stack as it causes extra communications and "activity" within each BMS. Temporarily set the battery with address 0 to the next address after the highest address in use. You need to open and then close the battery breaker in order for the address change to take effect.

On the "BatInfo" tab select the "Pack number" for the number of batteries in the stack and the "Start adr" to the lowest address in the stack (probably 1 if you changed the master)

On the "BatInfo" tab can you view the battery status of any of the batteries?

The battery addresses do not need to be set to 0 to update firmware. Just make sure you have the correct "Device address" selected in the "Upgrade operation" box on the "ProgramUpdate" tab.
I am using the correct cable. I checked the SS and EG4 website and video to make sure I had the right one. I do think the baud rate was higher than 9600 so I will try with a slower baud rate. I did set the battery switch to 0 (all down) and disconnected ALL the cables and connections except the cable for the update. I also turned the battery off and back on using the battery breaker switch. Also tried using the reset button.

Thank you for the suggestions. I will try the slower baud rate and see what happens.

Your setup has been working for a year and has now faulted with what sounds like an AC output or battery input short. Unfortunately no amount of firmware upgrades or settings changes are going to help you out, you're going to have to replace those inverters.

Your setup has been working for a year and has now faulted with what sounds like an AC output or battery input short. Unfortunately no amount of firmware upgrades or settings changes are going to help you out, you're going to have to replace those inverters.
I still would like to update the firmware on the batteries. I ordered the new EG4 6000 through the exchange program 2 weeks ago but won't receive until May. I thought getting the firmware updated in my batteries may fix this problem and also make the transition to the new inverters smoother. I was thinking they issue may be connected since I cannot complete the update.

The inverters are still turning on (from PV array) but will not connect to the batteries. What is the best way to check for a short?

I am using the correct cable. I checked the SS and EG4 website and video to make sure I had the right one. I do think the baud rate was higher than 9600 so I will try with a slower baud rate. I did set the battery switch to 0 (all down) and disconnected ALL the cables and connections except the cable for the update. I also turned the battery off and back on using the battery breaker switch. Also tried using the reset button.

Thank you for the suggestions. I will try the slower baud rate and see what happens.
Tried the slower baud rate. Same problem. I am able to get the BatInfo to show up so the batteries are communicating.

A cable using pins 7&8 will be able to "read" the battery. A a cable using pins 1&2 is required to "write/update" the battery.

I still would like to update the firmware on the batteries. I ordered the new EG4 6000 through the exchange program 2 weeks ago but won't receive until May. I thought getting the firmware updated in my batteries may fix this problem and also make the transition to the new inverters smoother. I was thinking they issue may be connected since I cannot complete the update.

The inverters are still turning on (from PV array) but will not connect to the batteries. What is the best way to check for a short?

Removing the battery cables from the inverter and testing for ohms while the inverter is powered down. OL or a reading with kΩ should indicate that the terminal is good.

Back