diy solar

diy solar

Off grid Tesla Vehicle Solar charging no batteries

hello,

I am an owner of a Model S, a Model X and have a Renault Twizzy (big family).
I am charging my electric cars off grid thanks to my 'Solax Power' inverter (model X3), this is an inverter who can start up without the grid!!! The electric vehikels that I've got can handle fluctuating amperage!!! I did test this first with my model S and actually they charge all 3 in the same off-grid way. No need for battery to store your energy!!! I've got 16 kw solar panels on my roofs, to charge from april till september it is enough (I live in Belgium...) but for the rest of the months it is not enough, It may be enough if I triple or more my solar panels put at my current home it is not possible.
As I am always charging at low amperages my battery's wear less, my Model S (end 2014) has 450 000 km's on the odometer for your information.

If you need more information don't hesitate to get in contact with me. For your information, I am not a professional electrician and have nothing to do with the Solax company...

Kind regards

Thanks for the comments. I presently have 9 panels and am trying to build an L1 charging station for my Model 3 without batteries. The trick is to have an inverter that powers up on the panels and then the charge rate is set through the J1772 EVSE by the amount of sunshine. I'll keep reading this forum and see if I can figure out how to do that. Anyone already doing this? Here is my setup so far https://egpreston.com/solarpanels2.pdf

Thanks for the comments. I presently have 9 panels and am trying to build an L1 charging station for my Model 3 without batteries. The trick is to have an inverter that powers up on the panels and then the charge rate is set through the J1772 EVSE by the amount of sunshine. I'll keep reading this forum and see if I can figure out how to do that. Anyone already doing this? Here is my setup so far https://egpreston.com/solarpanels2.pdf
look for the solex power inverter and you don't need anything else, like me...https://www.solaxpower.com/homeowners/

Today I mowed my grass using the MPP Solar water pump batteryless inverter. It works fine for running motors. The AC waveform is terrible and after running it through a 220 to 110 transformer the Tesla Model 3 will not accept the AC signal. So what I have decided to do is add a 3 phase motor from this source https://www.automationdirect.com/selectors/motors and get a car alternator belt driven which charges a 12 volt battery. Then use a pure sine wave inverter to generate up to 1500 watts power at 120 VAC. It sounds like a lot of junk connected together but it does get the power into the battery for $250 for solar inverter + $186 for the motor + $100 for car alternator + $150 12 VC battery + $200 pure sine wave inverter = $900 total which is not a bad price. I will use a voltage sensitive switch monitoring the 12 volt battery voltage so that when it charges to 13.8 volts the inverter switches on and when it drops to 12 volts it switches the car off. By messing with the Model 3 charge amps setting it at 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 or 5 amps I can find a compromise on minimizing the amount of work the 12 volt battery does. I.e. the sunlight should go straight from panels to car with not that much charging. Maybe I can add the computer control to the J1772 plug so that the battery remains essentially floating nearly fully charged while the energy goes straight into the car. So I will start working on that plan. Of course all this should be possible with a single electronic box that has yet to be invented (engineered).

hello losses my old friend.
Yes you are absolutely right about the losses. Looking at the details it looks terribly inefficient. Also the 12 VDC car alternator isn't designed for continuous duty at a high amperage charge rate. So scratch the motor driving a generator idea. The pure sine wave inverter going from 12 VDC to 120 VAC is also inefficient.

So what Im looking for is how to turn the very bad AC waveform of the MPP solar water pump PWM 240 VAC output into a pure sine wave at 120 VAC to fool the Tesla 120 L1 charger into accepting the circuit. I have an idea. Right now I have a 220 to 110 VAC iron core transformer stepping the 220 volts down. That transformer has a lot of inductance in the iron. If on the 220 side I add a parallel capacitor making the transformer resonant on 60 Hz, then under no load, the secondary should be a pure sine wave simply by the ringing of the transformer winding. Its possible that the voltage might be too high if the MPP solar is hitting it with pulses. But the voltage pulses are not going to be seen through the windings because the output is only going to be seeing the ringing at 60 hz. If this idea works it could be a simple way to convert PWM into pure sine wave on about any circuit. I'll need to measure the transformer inductance and add a small capacitor to get it to resonate. If this works the cost is very small. The 1500 watt transformer cost $80. I'll post the results when I get some tests done.

The Tesla has an option on the main screen to turn down the charge rate. So rather then trying to draw 10KW, you can just turn it down to say 2KW, etc.

Without the variable rate charging, you cant use up the extra energy produced. So with 5kw of solar, if you set the car at the lowest setting, your only using 1200w. The rest either goes nowhere or stored in whatever batteries you have.

That Rduno and other developments are pretty cool.

You can start, stop, change charge rate with Tesla's via the API.
That is pretty sweet. I'd still say its probably a good idea to have a battery bank that can take up the time delay between switching settings. Doesn't have to be huge capacity but certainly able to handle the full inverter load for 5-10 min.

I am curious if @Gene Preston made any progress? I have had difficulty charging off grid with my Outback Skybox. It works fine on the grid powered by the Skybox. I don't get any diagnostic information from my L2 charging stations but I have several that I can try to see if some are more sensitive than others. As far as I can tell the Skybox produces a pretty good sine wave.

I should add waking the Tesla if your off-grid can be a bit of a trick. Wake commands are sent via cell connection. If the car sleeps it wont rewake for api commands if you have no cell service. Its best to control on/off only via the charger. Still some little problems to work out. Tesla's kind of suck in the off-grid world or even just dirt roads. Fight dust ingress right now.

Back