diy solar

diy solar

Off topic, EV vehicle opinions…

I believe the folks who had their temperatures limited via smart thermostat were the ones who signed up for a load shedding program in exchange for a lower power bill. I'd never sign up for such a thing. My very modern heat pump has the dumbest non-internet-connected thermostat that it could function with. I will also not be getting rid of my wood stove.

OMG! The house reached 88F inside!

The utility still has another option - grid collapse because load exceeds generation/transmission capacity. Optionally with failure of distribution equipment, delaying return of power.

Then your fridge and fan won't work either.

My girlfriend and I both have different health issues that make us not handle heat at all. 88F with no escape would legit be dangerous for us.

Heat wave a few years ago, grid stayed up and power stayed on, but the grid took damage that's still being repaired. Being able to run a window AC unit and keep a room livable as a lifeboat was reason 9,012 we're thankful to have solar.

OMG! The house reached 88F inside!

The utility still has another option - grid collapse because load exceeds generation/transmission capacity. Optionally with failure of distribution equipment, delaying return of power.

Then your fridge and fan won't work either.

The only problem is that utility would never have the issue if it was not so badly mismanaged (by abandoning traditional power generation methods and replacing them with unreliable solar and wind).

Oh, and maybe not plugging in the EV? I think that was the ENTIRE POINT! A single EV charging @ 240v40A (most charges) is a cool 9.6KW! Thats enough to power several homes!

I have one of those limiters on my A/C unit outside, not on my thermostat. While the thermostat is programmable it does not communicate with anything other than the furnace and A/C. I can't say that I've ever noticed that the A/C wasn't pumping out cool air. I didn't do it to "save the Polar Bears". I did it for the credit at the end of the summer.

My girlfriend and I both have different health issues that make us not handle heat at all. 88F with no escape would legit be dangerous for us.

So you are a candidate for not opting in to the program.

For those who can survive at a balmy 88F (with fan and a cold beer from the fridge), there is a modest cash credit to sign up.
And because they do, utility is able to shed some load when necessary, not have a blackout.
Therefore your A/C can keep operating.

Without load-shed, or sufficiently overbuilt power generation and transmission to support highest loads ever, the grid collapses. Their beer is warm, in a house without a fan, and you keel over due to excessive temperature.

I think load-shedding is a good thing. Exactly the same approach for my house when grid is down; on a sunny day I do have excess PV production, but battery capacity limited so at night minimal loads.

I have one of those limiters on my A/C unit outside, not on my thermostat. While the thermostat is programmable it does not communicate with anything other than the furnace and A/C. I can't say that I've ever noticed that the A/C wasn't pumping out cool air. I didn't do it to "save the Polar Bears". I did it for the credit at the end of the summer.

Anything that gives you "credit" is by default programmable and SMART (that by the way stands for self monitoring and REPORTING). All of these devices communicate over cellular network and you have zero control over it.

Attached is the PDF manual of a smart meter. Take a look at the features. (Rationing mode, remote disconnect mode, etc)

BTW, "credit" is exactly the carrot that they are using to get people onto this train (internet connected monitoring for meters, limiters, etc). The stick will come once enough are in the cage and will in the form of rationing or straight out disconnect (because your social credit score is low for saying things that the government and those that control it do not like, for example you object to trans ideology or you refuse to take your vaccine booster)

Attachments

• meter_og.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 1
So you are a candidate for not opting in to the program.

I don't know if it's even available where I live.

I believe participation in the program is voluntary(for now.......), which removes my entire objection. The person is responsible for their own actions. If it's going to be a problem for you, don't join the program.

Why dealerships don't like EVs​

EV doesn't need enough maintenance to be profitable, he says.

But apparently a moderately large investment is needed to be able to not do maintenance on EVs:

"Late last year, Buick said it would be asking dealers to commit a minimum investment of $300,000 to $400,000 to prepare their stores to sell and service EVs."

It is recorded we went from horse and buggy to cars in period of about ~10 years. When things change they change. Horses are as GREEN as it gets. Most things were measured in horse power afterwords.

We spent ~$30 million dollars developing moon buggy…. About $200+ million now. We spent tax payer money bailing gm out over and over they are reported owned by china now. GM reported built EV in 1990s that cost ~$100,000 each for their price….GM was $350 million into the EV for research. Walked away.

We are doing the extended field r&d with their battery developments now… I personally think we are over reaching the limits and some companies are now recommending lower charge rates for Lifepo cells. Ultra fast charging is a problem. Or that is what I am seeing for opinion. Just because you can doesn’t mean we should and think that applies to charging batteries. Throwing 3.65 volts at my battery cells has resulted in what I think is a runner now. I can and was managing them all fairly well with 3.45 volts. Which btw have read and heard is a current new recommendation 3.45vdc. Slightly less capacity but not real concern. I feel it is Less damage potential to cells.

On locomotive we played with all kinds of charging schemes with our 64 vdc lead acid battery systems ….we charge ran them 72-75 volts. They are still playing with charging. Always trying find best solution to dealing with charging lead acid batteries with more demand on them. You’d think it would be nailed down to an exact science by now - right? News:
It is not.
Ever smelled a big bank of lead acid batteries that has boiled themselves dry due to over charging?

I helped work on setup of EV freight locomotives…. The plan was around ~1000 batteries 12vdc. Lead acid. 🤡🤣 It flopped. Now they have ev locomotive reporting ~ 350 miles to charge. Hmmmmm…. I bet they are not using lead acid.

Things take time and have to be sorted. Things get rushed too. Most ppl don’t like change. Most ppl want value McDonalds warp speed. To get ppl to change we often get Piped Pipers…aka liars….. ppl that push current tech to hard….beyond limitations. Anybody want to dive in home made sub to see the titanic?

I think we are pushing to hard with current tech and exploring what it can or can’t do. We are blaming the tech vs the pushers…greedy ppl.

Bugatti Veyron usually run out of gas at speed before the expensive tires come apart.

“‘’’
All of this tech is necessary in order to cope with the incredible forces that the Veyron's tires have to endure at high speed. As the velocities increase, there's more friction, which results in the air inside the tire heating up, thereby increasing the pressure. At top speed, the tires are fighting against 5,442 Gs of force, and they can only withstand this for 15 minutes before failing.

The $42,000 tire change is just the start of the crazy prices for maintaining a Veyron. Changing out all the fluids runs owners $25,000. If you ever need to replace the fuel tank that costs $20,000 and an additional $22,000 in labor to put it in.
“‘’’

When you spend that much money on just a car than you can’t bitch about cost for anything.

IMG_6283.jpeg
BARGAIN $12 million dollar car:
IMG_6282.jpeg

Company recycling EV and other batteries. It's like an ore mine, but all the raw materials have already been pulled out of the ground, we just need to reclaim them.

Hertz Increases The Number Of Electric Cars It Wants To Get Rid Off To 30,000 From 20,000​

Hertz raised the number of electric vehicles it plans to sell this year as it is cutting its EV fleet to reduce losses that have weighed on the car rental giant’s earnings.

In the first quarter, Hertz upsized its EV disposition plan by 10,000 vehicles, for a total of 30,000 EVs intended for sale in 2024. Most of these EVs will be Teslas.

The company incurred a $195 million charge to vehicle depreciation to write down the EVs held for sale which were remaining in inventory at quarter-end to fair value and recognize the disposition losses on EVs sold in the period, Hertz said in a statement on Thursday

Vehicle depreciation in the first quarter of 2024 increased by $588 million, or $339 on a per unit basis. Of the $339 per unit increase, $119 was related to EVs held for sale, the company said. [if !supportLineBreakNewLine] [endif]

Hertz reported a much larger loss for the first quarter than analysts had forecast. Adjusted net loss stood at $392 million, or $1.28 loss per diluted share.

This compares with an analyst consensus estimate of a loss of $0.45 per share.

Following the earnings release on Thursday, Hertz’s stock crashed by 21% on the NASDAQ but ended off the lows, still down 19%...

Hertz was an early mover in buying EVs to rent to customers, but it and other car rental companies have recently started to sell the EVs they had previously purchased due to weaker customer demand for EV rentals.

Hertz, unlike other rental firms, has a more risky approach because it fully owns all the EVs it has bought and is losing money if the resale value slumps.

As it did.

Earlier this year, Hertz said in a regulatory filing to the SEC it is selling roughly one-third of its electric vehicle fleet, highlighting the risk of its first-mover strategy when it comes to EVs.

Can you imagine the amount of horse farts in the air causing climate change if we were all still on horse back?

“‘;’’’’’
This became known as the ‘Great Horse Manure Crisis of 1894’.
The terrible situation was debated in 1898 at the world’s first international urban planning conference in New York, but no solution could be found. It seemed urban civilization was doomed.
However, necessity is the mother of invention, and the invention in this case was that of motor transport. Henry Ford came up with a process of building motor cars at affordable prices. Electric trams and motor buses appeared on the streets, replacing the horse-drawn buses.
By 1912, this seemingly insurmountable problem had been resolved; in cities all around the globe, horses had been replaced and now motorised vehicles were the main source of transport and carriage.
Even today, in the face of a problem with no apparent solution, people often quote ‘The Great Horse Manure Crisis of 1894’, urging people not to despair, something will turn up!
‘’’’’’’
Source your own link.
Notice anything?

Enjoy your future EV. Called SIMPLE cookie cutter approach to solving problems by using same old tried true methods,…. They play ppl every time. Ppl enjoy it.
We had electric cars way back then too.

Due to over-supply, price supports would have been needed.
The government should have bought up manure so prices were high enough to keep businesses operating.
(It worked for milk!)

Electric cars are not new…... ppl get all moist over ev….as if new.

“‘’’’
We start in the 1830s, with Scotland’s Robert Anderson, whose motorized carriage was built sometime between 1832 and ’39. Batteries (galvanic cells) were not yet rechargeable, so it was more parlor trick (“Look! No horse nor ox, yet it moves!”) than a transportation device. Another Scot, Robert Davidson of Aberdeen, built a prototype electric locomotive in 1837. A bigger, better version, demonstrated in 1841, could go 1.5 miles at 4 mph towing six tons. Then it needed new batteries. This impressive performance so alarmed railway workers (who saw it as a threat to their jobs tending steam engines) that they destroyed Davidson’s devil machine, which he’d named Galvani.
Batteries that could be recharged came along in 1859, making the electric-car idea more viable. Around 1884, inventor Thomas Parker helped deploy electric-powered trams and built prototype electric cars in England. By 1890, a Scotland-born chemist living in Des Moines, Iowa, William Morrison, applied for a patent on the electric carriage he’d built perhaps as early as 1887. It appeared in a city parade in 1888, according to the Des Moines Register. With front-wheel drive, 4 horsepower, and a reported top speed of 20 mph, it had 24 battery cells that needed recharging every 50 miles. Morrison’s self-propelled carriage was a sensation at the 1893 Chicago World’s Fair, also known as the famed World’s Columbian Exhibition. Morrison himself was more interested in the batteries than in mobility, but he’d sparked the imagination of other inventors.

EVs from Electrobat to Columbia​

electrobat ev motor vehicle
CREATIVE COMMONS, CC VIA GILMORE CAR MUSEUM, MUSEUM OF THE CITY OF NEW YORK
Electrobat! Is that not a great name? It belongs to the first commercially viable EV effort. Philadelphians Pedro Salom and Henry G. Morris adapted technology from battery-electric street cars and boats and got a patent in 1894. At first very heavy and slow (like a trolley car, with steel “tires” and 1600 pounds of batteries onboard), their Electrobat [at left] evolved to employ pneumatic tires and lighter materials so that, by 1896, their rear-steer carriages used two 1.1-kW motors to move 25 miles at a top speed of 20 mph. Electrobats and another electric by Riker won a series of five-mile sprint races against gasoline Duryea automobiles in 1896.
Morris and Salom incorporated that year and moved on to the “cash-in” phase of a successful startup. Having built a few electric Hansom cabs [upper right] to compete with the horse-drawn vehicles then serving New York, they sold that idea to Issac L. Rice who incorporated the Electric Vehicle Company (EVC) in New Jersey. He in turn attracted big-money investors and partners and by the early 1900s, they had more than 600 electric cabs operating in New York with smaller fleets in Boston, Baltimore, and other eastern cities. In New York, the downtime it took to recharge batteries was addressed by converting an ice arena into a battery-swapping station where a cab could drive in, have its spent batteries replaced with a recharged set, and move on out. Brilliant, but like many a startup, it expanded too quickly and ran into unforeseen conflicts among investors and partners, and the whole taxi venture had collapsed by 1907.
EVC’s battery supplier (which was an investor and partner) became what we know today as Exide. Its manufacturing partner, Pope (also a gasoline-car pioneer), took the technology and applied a name from its thriving bicycle business, Columbia, to a run of cars for public sale. Columbia [bottom right] reached the 1000-units-built milestone well before those visionary mass-manufacturers in Detroit, Ransom Olds and Henry Ford, got up to speed.
“‘’’’’

Exide sold batteries to railroads and locomotive manufacturers. The original 8 volt batteries were arranged 8 in series….lasted around 10 years or more. Later they changed them then combined made 2 each 32 volt battery packs. The 32 volt packs were lucky make it 4-5 years. They were once again back to steam engine locomotive days of 32 volt battery pack though. Wheel goes round and round … hamster is having a ball.

They had EV for a long long time. 🤡🤣 Every time see a lefty talking like ev are new - cracks me up.

You guys and gurls need to be happy …. Standard Oil saved us from a World of horse shit. Diesel electric killed steam locomotives. Steam was way more horsepower but the problem was tractive hp to wheel slip ratio…track killers for freight locos. Steam locomotives made helluva explosion too. Things learned … Little bit of sand turned to sticky glass added traction on rails still used today. Riddles of steel on steel broken up. 🤣 snicker. Again wheel reinvented. Without Rockefellers than we would not have licensed modern medicines with all side effects or controlled news media. Be grateful. 👀🥸🫣

EMD locomotive was made by GM ….this fella named, Bill Gates sold Windows XP Lite as system operation software …… they went belly up and sold out. Can you imagine controls on locomotive being managed by Windows. Snicker. 15 minutes to reboot that shit. Time is money. DL Update reboot DL update reboot. Snicker. Sabotage - GM more tax payer bail out money gone. Some day ppl might figure it out. Probably not…… Corporate Welfare…… Human welfare is nickel - dime. We have been rodeo’ed so much we wouldn’t know what to do if really free.

Back