diy solar

diy solar

PV Disconnect for 600W Array ( 60 V @ 10 A )

RV8R

Solar Enthusiast
For my remote cabin, I am considering a “Combiner Box” or a “Breaker” for the “Primary” function as a PV Array “Disconnect”.

Currently I have 6 100W panels 3S2P so roughly 600W ( 60 volts @ 10 amps ). I have a Victron 100 | 50 MPPT

I consider the combiner box a choice for future upgrades, but think I would go with just a breaker for now.

So if you recommend a breaker similar to this;

IMG_1231.jpeg

I am seeking product recommendations.

I am assuming one advantage of going this route would be to satisfy Victron’s fine wire seated into their screw terminals ( PV side ). For clarity, I am assuming a breaker like this will take PV solar wire on the PV side & fine wire on the MPPT side, so a disconnect switch & wire connection swap point ,,, If you have knowledge in this area I am all ears / eyes.

IMG_6835.jpeg

I tend to get lost in internet rabbit holes when shopping for such items.

TIA

Last edited:
Maybe we can help him find some specific options for what he is trying to do ?

I know that they sell both breakers of a wide variety of configurations and even pre built panels and breaker boxes.
I can look for some specifics later.
I'd probably spend the money and go with the 600VDC version to allow future expansion.

I use 8 of these breakers as mechanical disconnect switches (never used as over current devices) for my 8 strings to isolate the PV+ and PV- from the (floating AIO) inverters BUT ONLY IF THE PV panels are already shut downed via PVRSS (Tigo). I've placed a big warning label on the PV breaker box that these breakers MUST NEVER be switched while under current/load and before switching them, the Tigo PVRSS must be activated and double checked that they already shutdown!

I would never use/switch these (or other) breakers under load because DC arcs are very problematic!

See this video, minute 8:54!

Even if I found a Y**T*** video which specifically showing this type (Chtaixi DC Disconnect Switch) of breaker and that it's able to switch under load without burning (at 0:51 you can see at least the spark from outside)... I would not use this breaker as a regular switch under load.
Anyway, it looks like this Chtaixi DC Disconnect Switch is of higher quality even on the budget side.

Here is an example of a "combiner" designed for 4 strings in case you would like to have some room to grow from 2 strings.

The protection is based on standard solar fuses available off the shelf.

The fuse holders are designed to be finger safe, so that the cover can be off and the system can be live without significant danger if used with common sense.

It is not considered a "disconnect" because the fuse holders are not rated to be a "disconnect". If you try to remove them when live, it will arc.

I can turn off my Victron Smart Solar via Bluetooth. That removes the load and current.

The old TT had ground mounted panels, about 48v. Just throw a towel over it before removing extension cord.

They seem to be encouraging breakers called out as "PV breakers" on their site.

Here is an example:

Personally I like ring lugs vs the lugs that are torqued down but I am mostly into mobile stuff.

I still have a long way to go with what is required for home / stationary solar vs mobile setups.

Some of this is code driven so of course being able to pass an inspection matters a lot for those.

This is kind of an enlightening video in terms of an example of how things can go wrong with an install.

- Some one spent a lot of money buying components that on their own, each is UL listed and seems ok, but as a system it isn't.
- Wasted a lot of space both on a wall and coming out from the in front of it
- More or less now has to remove it and start over.
- Ended up with a system that is not weather resistant.

The comment about the requirement to have a disconnect with a handle that is very visible and not inside of the other boxes was particularly interesting to me toward the end.

Again, the codes are constantly shifting and getting more painful to follow, and sometimes small changes in layout can have a big impact on something looking nice vs looking like it was a hack.

Anyway - it makes the "combiner disconnect" in post #10 kind of interesting, in spite of the price.

Back