diy solar

diy solar

Question: serializing parallel panels

RJW

Hi, I have growatt all in one inverters. I hooked up all my panels in parallel (couldn't serialize them due to max open circuit limit on growatt boxes). (3000TL LVM)

One of my growatt boxes came DOA and another just broke so i'm down to using 4 in split phase. I'm planning to upgrade to the eg4 inverter boxes that's sealed and has a 10 year warrantee.(EG4 18KPV)

All my solar panel strings are grouped in parallel with 5 panels each. I was wondering if there is anything wrong with serializing the 5 panel strings together to hook into the eg4 inverter boxes? Having my panels parallel before a serialize since I already have the wiring down, it would just be less effort for me.

As you know, panels in series add voltage together so you can only do this up to the voltage limit of your controller.
In parallel the amps add up.

Hi, I have growatt all in one inverters. I hooked up all my panels in parallel (couldn't serialize them due to max open circuit limit on growatt boxes). (3000TL LVM)

One of my growatt boxes came DOA and another just broke so i'm down to using 4 in split phase. I'm planning to upgrade to the eg4 inverter boxes that's sealed and has a 10 year warrantee.(EG4 18KPV)

All my solar panel strings are grouped in parallel with 5 panels each. I was wondering if there is anything wrong with serializing the 5 panel strings together to hook into the eg4 inverter boxes? Having my panels parallel before a serialize since I already have the wiring down, it would just be less effort for me.
Try to make clear question, excluding everything else. What you have and what you want to know?
Connect unknown quantity of 5-panel series/parallel? stings to some "boxes"....

Reactions: RJW
Perhaps some standardization of definitions would help.

Each SCC with MPPT your AIO has connects to its own PV array. Each Array has panels that are wired in series and parallel. A group of panels that are series connected form a string which is wired to a combiner box or Y connector. You can have pairs of panels wired in parallel with several connected in series to that combiner box and still be 1 string that at the combiner box parallels with other similar voltage strings. From the combiner box you have the Array.

Typical shorthand is to use 3S2P to denote 3 series connected panels, forming a string, wired in parallel to another 3 series connected panels.

Double check that your AIO can handle the amps from the array. Some AIO’s can’t handle a lot of amps (some can so check your specs).

That inverter has 3 MPPT:s 600V (15A) each. For me it shouldn't leave doubts how to arrange strings.

Try to make clear question, excluding everything else. What you have and what you want to know?
Connect unknown quantity of 5-panel series/parallel? stings to some "boxes"....
Cool thanks, I'll try the question again excluding everything else

Back