diy solar

diy solar

Questions on Wiring 2 Midnite 200 charge controllers

Alpine_Junky

In the process of adding a 2nd midnight 200 charge controller to a pre-wired Schneider sw4048 currently running a single midnight 200 purchased from a reputable on-line seller.

My question - when they sent me the 2nd charge controller, I also asked for 2 more breakers. Instead of sending me 2 single poles, they sent me 2 double poles (single switch, double pole midnight midmnedc-80-300 breakers). The midnight box only has room for 4 breakers total - and the current charge controller is taking up 2 of these slots. The problem - I can't fit the breakers they sent plus the existing ones & would have thought that each charge controller should have its own separate breaker set.

I am questioning - 1) Did they send me the wrong breakers? Should I have simply received a duplicate set of single poles? (Plenty of room, no questions) 2) Did they send me the right breakers and am I overlooking that I should be wiring both charge controllers on the same set of breakers?

I don't think this matters but I have 2 arrays: one with 6 panels (2280 watts, 2 strings of 3 making 120V in and around 21amps short circuit), the other with 9 panels (3420 watts, 3 strings of 3 making 120V in and around 31.5 amps short circuit). All 15 panels matched 380w silfab. Combined, these would not exceed the 80 amp breakers sent.

I'll bet the person in sales just clicked the 300 volt breakers thinking they were doing you a solid because 300 is better than 150, right? Well, not when the 300 volt breakers are twice as wide and don't fit.
Plus, if you have 200 volt charge controllers, I'll bet the sales person figured the 150s weren't rated high enough.

What are the model numbers on the smaller breakers? I'm sorry of just guessing they are rated at 150 volts DC

Figured out what happened in my above scenario and caught the calculations to correct:

1) With the switch from the 150 to the 200 controller, the input breaker was undersized. IE: Hypervoc state would exceed 150v rating on breaker that came with. Each charge controller needs its own circuit as thought. I needed to add an aux panel to account for the extra wiring.
2) Input breakers need to be sized appropriately to account for input voltage from controller -- not just amps, but also volts taking into account hypervoc calcs. Using the 300 vdc 80 amp breakers for each input line and using the single pole 150vdc breakers for the output.
2 a) I was able to repurpose the 150v 80 amp breaker for charge controller #2 output as the output side does not have this consideration.

Conclusion - I have 2 separate arrays wired for charging - each with their own 300vdc 80 amp input breaker & their own 150vdc output breaker.

Back