diy solar

diy solar

Quietest Set-And-Forget Off Grid System For A Few Lights, TV and Internet.

Our Victron 24 volt 1200 VA Phoenix inverter fires up a fan when under significant load. No one would describe that fan as near-silent. Morningstar does not use fans.

What OP is describing isn’t anything I’d consider a “significant load”.

Our Victron Phoenix 12/1200 inverter only fires up the fan when the fridge comes on, which is about 800W for 2-6 seconds, then the fridge drops down to 60-80W and the Victron’s fan turns off.

If OP sizes their inverter properly, they will never hear the fan power on. Those Morningstar inverters are expensive for that fanless luxury.

A Victron 12/500 or 24/500 would probably be more than enough for OP. If not, then the /800 model would do the trick. Most likely the fan would never come on, since there are no surge loads in this setup.

Even when we were camping in 85-95F heat (inside of trailer would reach in excess of 105-110F), our Victron inverter would still rarely run the fan and no longer than 15-60 seconds. 99.9% of the rest of the time, the fan only ran for 2-3 seconds as the fridge powered up. Since modern fridges tend to run for longer periods of time, the number of cycles per day is pretty low, leading to the startup surge fan blowing for 2-3s cycles to be few per day.

Last edited:
I would go all Victron with the Cerbo and touch for two main reason.

1. Anyone can look at the touch screen and understand what is going on with the system - battery full - or about dead - how much power are we using vs produces. My wife looks at and understands our CCGX (older GX device than Cerbo).

2. With remote monitoring you or anyone else can look at the system when there is a problem. (Hopefully never, but…).

Overpanel the solar a bit - it will help in the winter and bad weather.

Also consider adding a Victron BP65 for the DC non-inverter loads (going to the DC fuse box) - it will shut down non-essentials when batteries are low - before the bms kicks off. It makes restarting much easier because the bms’s never trip.

Good Luck

I've been using it for a couple of months and there's no noise, I'd estimate around 60 decibels, and they're on sale on Pecron website for $859 on Black Friday, use a coupon ALLCPMOR can get $816, which is a crazy discount.
That's rather loud. Delta 2 loud. I would suggest an Ecoflow Delta 2 Max which is 45dB at its loudest (charging from grid/gen at 1600W). 2400W/2kWh, $1399.

That's rather loud. Delta 2 loud. I would suggest an Ecoflow Delta 2 Max which is 45dB at its loudest (charging from grid/gen at 1600W). 2400W/2kWh, $1399.
If the sound is only 45db then that's great indeed, it's just that ecoflow is really overpriced, and during the Great Depression I became more and more focused on value for money

In a quiet room the activated Victron Phoenix 24 1200 makes an electronic sound. Our over 25 year old Morningstar 300W is essentially silent unless working hard, then it is just a slight hum. Wondering if the more powerful Morningstar inverters are as gloriously quiet as the classic.

Modern TV sips watts. From memory, 44 watts for my 32”. Fan is also very low for small personal fan. Little 12 volt leds don’t use much either (5 watts?).

Victron all the way with a SOK or battle born battery is pretty robust.

The only glitch can think of is if you run one dead accidentally, you need to jump start it with another battery or a jump pack. And you need to do it asap or there will be battery damage. Battle Born says 5 days max (double check this).

Dang it. Thanks k490. I missed that.

I’ve had one in my cabin for a couple of years. Will place it on a more fire proof area.

I hate it when companies lie and bail. I guess they can’t stand up to the cheap competition. Glad my SOK are serviceable.

Back