diy solar

diy solar

Seplos BMS to SunSynk Inverter Cable

Thanks for posting the configuration. I am about to have a Sunsynk 5.5 ECCO commissioned and noticed that the yellow Comms cable to the battery (also a Seplos) is not marked at either end as shown in the manual, so I was a little confused as to its orientation. I will make up an additional Comms cable exactly as you have and hopefully it will connect correctly

Best wishes and thanks again
Some models ( 8k ) use a regular utp cable, so test that first before you cut the connector off

Some models ( 8k ) use a regular utp cable, so test that first before you cut the connector off
Thanks, mines a 5.5kw Ecco model. I will make up an entirely new lead rather than cut the yellow one up.

Just to clarify please, if I did try to connect via the yellow cable to see if it was working ok and found that it wasn't communicating, and I did need to make up a new cable, would it damage anything?

i did try the yellow comms cable and it does work !! connected it to the Can bus on the inverter and the RS485 connection on the Seplos battery

i did try the yellow comms cable and it does work !! connected it to the Can bus on the inverter and the RS485 connection on the Seplos battery
Well that means you're running rs485, I would recommend canbus.
But when it works, it works

thanks, would it make any difference if i dd change it over (and it still worked of course!)?
Canbus is a little better supported by the inverter..

Otherwise not sure..
What would be interesting...
Can you see your battery statistics under battery in the app ?

Canbus is a little better supported by the inverter..

Otherwise not sure..
What would be interesting...
Can you see your battery statistics under battery in the app ?
yes, they show up. will take a couple of photos tomorrow, spent quite a while today trying to get the inverter to accept solar input from the existing PV system to charge the battery. i think i may have sorted it but need to confirm (again tomorrow!) i did it via the aux setting. using the setting of a micro inverter - i will attach photos tomorrow and hopefully someone can point me in the right direction if im doing something wrong ...

the dissapointing thing to me is that Sunsynk have yet to do a video showing how to integrate their inverters into an existing PV system with separate inverter. there are prob thousands of PV systems installed under the FiT scheme with owners probably having reached payback are looking for battery storage. The Sofar ME3000 worked really well in achieving that but i needed an inverter that could charge my batteries to almost full within the four hour reduced rate time slot

Last edited:
Screenshot_2023-10-15-11-12-17-499_com.elinter.app.sunsynk.jpg

its a shame that the figures are not shown accurately in terms of power coming from the 'micro inverter' and going into the batteries via the sunsynk. if you look at the figures on the screenshot, it shows 7w from the micro inverter (which is the AC coupled PV yet 183w going into the batteries (my AC inverter shows around 700W being produced!) yet no other power from another source i.e. grid!, so unless its a miracle and im getting free energy from the air its an issue woth the sunsynk being able to display the info, which from what i have read its a known issue.

the next two photos show the battery readings - which shows that the comms cable must be working. i dont seem to be able to access other screens that i have seen, but it might be an issue of a newer/later model of inverter. Anyway, i am happy that it seems to be working as i hoped it would. I will leave it as it is for the next couple of weeks and just monitor it.

IMG_20231015_110411.jpg

IMG_20231015_110340.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 172367

its a shame that the figures are not shown accurately in terms of power coming from the 'micro inverter' and going into the batteries via the sunsynk. if you look at the figures on the screenshot, it shows 7w from the micro inverter (which is the AC coupled PV yet 183w going into the batteries (my AC inverter shows around 700W being produced!) yet no other power from another source i.e. grid!, so unless its a miracle and im getting free energy from the air its an issue woth the sunsynk being able to display the info, which from what i have read its a known issue.

the next two photos show the battery readings - which shows that the comms cable must be working. i dont seem to be able to access other screens that i have seen, but it might be an issue of a newer/later model of inverter. Anyway, i am happy that it seems to be working as i hoped it would. I will leave it as it is for the next couple of weeks and just monitor it.

View attachment 172369

View attachment 172368
At you got this by connecting the seplos to the first rs485 port ?
Did you select a specific BMS protocol ?
Looks good btw, and this might even solve my issue with solar assistant not seeing my first battery when using CANBUS..
interesting !

IMG_20231015_131729.jpg

Here's the photo ... hope it helps? I didn't select any protocol, i just entered that its a lithium battery and it figured the rest out by itself !

At you got this by connecting the seplos to the first rs485 port ?
Did you select a specific BMS protocol ?
Looks good btw, and this might even solve my issue with solar assistant not seeing my first battery when using CANBUS..
interesting !
I've read this and I'm not sure what is happening here is that. For the Sunsynk to talk to SA through the BMS485 port the inverter has to be set to CAN BMS. Setting the the inverter to RS485 for BMS instead of CAN halts comms to SA as a BMS protocol has to be set. I'd like to know the settings MisterB1959 has on the inverter. As far as I can work out there isn't a way of having both SA and Seplos BMS both run on RS485 with the Sunsynk, I've tried everything myself I can think of. I see the battery case in the picture is labelled RS485 but that's the BMS port and if that's a V2 or V3 Seplos then that can be a CAN connection with auto config as the dip switch won't need to be set. Anyway, I think this is probably a CAN connection with the battery plugged into the dual RS485/CAN port the 5kw Sunsynk. Disappointing as it would be good if this would indeed solve the first battery pack problem in SA.

I've read this and I'm not sure what is happening here is that. For the Sunsynk to talk to SA through the BMS485 port the inverter has to be set to CAN BMS. Setting the the inverter to RS485 for BMS instead of CAN halts comms to SA as a BMS protocol has to be set. I'd like to know the settings MisterB1959 has on the inverter. As far as I can work out there isn't a way of having both SA and Seplos BMS both run on RS485 with the Sunsynk, I've tried everything myself I can think of. I see the battery case in the picture is labelled RS485 but that's the BMS port and if that's a V2 or V3 Seplos then that can be a CAN connection with auto config as the dip switch won't need to be set. Anyway, I think this is probably a CAN connection with the battery plugged into the dual RS485/CAN port the 5kw Sunsynk. Disappointing as it would be good if this would indeed solve the first battery pack problem in SA.
@TonyPee - if you tell me what you want a photo of, screenshots etc I'm happy to provide them, so all the techo's can work out whats happening. when i set the inverter to lithium battery i didnt alter any other setting (from memory), but as i said, i am more than happy to provide screen shots of the settings on the inverter?

@TonyPee - if you tell me what you want a photo of, screenshots etc I'm happy to provide them, so all the techo's can work out whats happening. when i set the inverter to lithium battery i didnt alter any other setting (from memory), but as i said, i am more than happy to provide screen shots of the settings on the
That would be great. If you go into the Sunsynk settings menu by clicking on the screen and then click on 'battery' it will show the screen that gives the info we crave! It's the one with the battery type selection, lithium, agm etc. It will put my mind at rest anyway. Thanks

That's it. That does confirm my suspicion that you're actually communicating with a CAN link and not RS485. It's the labelling on the front of the battery that set the red herring all along. It's a dual rs485 OR CAN port for inverter comms. Thanks for confirming this. It's a shame in a way it may have solved a little problem with multiple battery packs if it was rs485.

Is there any other configuration you would like me to try? Are you suggesting that I couldn't add another battery and be able to access it's settings/information?
I understood that when adding an additional battery it just became one much bigger battery with a higher capacity and not two separate batteries?

i am at the moment, Seplos 14.3kw in a 280L upright case, but unsure as to whether to add another or whether it would be more cost effective to add more PV

Back