diy solar

diy solar

Solar suitcase

Excellent post! Thanks for taking the time to show us how it was done. I'm doing something very similar and wondering why you chose to have the panels facing out when folded up. I've done mock-ups in both directions and it seems like the business side of the panels are more protected when facing each other folded up. The frames keep the panels from touching each other (unless there is pressure in the middle that could flex them in towards each other and that seems unlikely b/c the legs would help prevent that from happening). Can you share your thoughts on how you decided which way to go?
Thanks!
Bob

I cannot comment on the OP's reason, but I did the glass out so all the "wires, legs & leg struts" were encapsulated while transporting. Having all those things hanging out when packing it away for the evening or while it stays on it shelf is asking for something to hook on anything and everything and potentially pulling the suitcase out of my hands, dropping on my toes.. ;) Its is much easier to move around with the glass out, I just wish it was 10 lbs instead of 40. I will be making my next setup from Flexible Panels as said in a prior post here, just to get rid of the weight! I am watching the Renogy 160w flex panels to see when they get back down to $159.99 and pick up two for my replacement "lightweight" suitcase! I picked up 4 over the Black Friday sales, and if I had been really thinking I would have bought 6. I added 4 more to my roof, basically maxing out the top of the RV with 1280w of solar. They are all flat mounted, so the suitcase can really add to the solar output on short low in the sky sun January days when the north side panels on the RV are getting shaded from the A/C's and other roof mounted things. (they are fine once we hit the middle of March) What was really interesting this year we were in Havasu for 10 days and a lot of folks were hanging flexible s on the south sides of their motorhomes. I even saw Chris from Technomadia doing it.

thanks for sharing your reasoning! I have a seamstress friend who is going to make a padded travel case for me. I totally agree about the weight of this beast, but I worry about the durability of flex panels. BTW, I also used a lift-off piano hinge so that I (or my wife, really) can separate the panels if there aren't any good looking pool boy types around to help move them. Where should I be watching for 160w flex for $160? That might put me over the edge. My 200w solar panel suitcase is only about $180 all in (panels, hinge, latches, handle, legs, etc).

I bought mine on Amazon over Black Friday. I use camelcamelcamel.com to setup alerts for prices of things on Amazon. Its not perfect, but it works most of the time. I love the feature where you can see what a particular item has sold for over the last 8-10 years. From Amazon, Third Parties and used listings. Makes me wonder if there is something like that for eBay? Anyway, I have probably $350 invested in my suitcase including 70 feet of wiring and all the connectors to allow it to be short or long depending on where the sun is. Also included the $125 MPPT controller and breakers etc. The panels and those small parts were were a little more as I paid $89 for each Grape Solar panel. My 1280w of panels on the roof are glued down flex 160w. The first 640w worked so well that after a year I bought 4 more of them. I had read all the problems with the original solar panels so I went in small, but realized the newer stuff is nothing like those old panels. My first ones still look like new almost 18 months later. -Bill

Hello, I hope I'm posting in the right spot (new member) - please let me know if not. I see the question asked above but I don't see the answer.
I'm looking to build a 200 watt solar suitcase (2 - 100 watt panels in series, I think) with an MPPT controller and 25 feet 10g solar wire back to the 2-6 volt batteries on my trailer (which is "pre-wired" for solar but I may have to beef up the wiring). I would like to attach the controller directly to the solar panels to keep it all simple and together as a unit. From my readings, the controller should be close to, not far from, the batteries.
Any rough estimate of % loss I might get by not putting the controller near the battery (with proper wiring)? If it's 10%, I can live with that. But if I'm wasting 50% of the potential charging energy, I won't be so lazy. Lord knows there aren't many sunny days in Vancouver, BC.

Thanks, Dave
Cool I am looking from something similar and also wondering about solar on the BC coast. Hi from the Okanagan

thanks for sharing your reasoning! I have a seamstress friend who is going to make a padded travel case for me. I totally agree about the weight of this beast, but I worry about the durability of flex panels. BTW, I also used a lift-off piano hinge so that I (or my wife, really) can separate the panels if there aren't any good looking pool boy types around to help move them. Where should I be watching for 160w flex for $160? That might put me over the edge. My 200w solar panel suitcase is only about $180 all in (panels, hinge, latches, handle, legs, etc).
I'm curious to know more about your set up and what batteries and mppt or not you are using. Do you explain that in another post and if so please link. I am looking to make a portable 200w/12v solar suitcase like those explained in this thread. It's a great idea when rving with a pet. I can park in the shade and move the solar to the sun.

my system is all cobbled together from scraps in the garage and various good deals. Lion energy UT1200 & UT1300 12v LiFePo batteries in parallel (about 2500 Wh), Renogy 40A pos ground MPPT, 20' 10awg to 2x100W Rich Solar panels (in series)(considering another 20' extension), novopal 2kW pure sine inverter, manual transfer switch spliced into existing WFCO power controller (AC, AC/DC, DC/DC). Like Bill mentioned above, 2x100W hard panels are VERY heavy, but also pretty stable. We tend to camp for multiple days in one location so that's not a big deal for me. SCC and panels are awesome. I'm usually getting about 150 watts by 930am partially because I can better orient movable panels. Hope that helps.
Bob

Back