diy solar

diy solar

SRNE 12kW IP65 HES and 10kW ASP

I think I found the specs for the Lelon caps used in the HESP unit. https://www.micros.com.pl/en/product/ke-47050035x50lt,90341.html

It is rated for 2000 hours operation under 105C
That appears to be made by leaguer. I wonder if the specs are identical to the lelon.
So what defines a capacitor in operation? 83 days seems like a rather short time span. 105C is pretty darn warm...

I'm really interested in what other OEMs are using.

@Warpspeed what do you know about capacitor brands / capacitors in general?

There are a very wide range of high voltage electrolytics out there that you can probably find something to fulfill your needs.
But what exactly are you looking for, what are your needs and requirements ? What are your limitations in regard to size and cost ?

Only once you can nail all that down, can you start looking at manufacturers published specifications.
Capacitor quoted lifetimes are only applicable if you run the capacitor below max ratings.

The two critical ones are surface temperature and rated ripple current. Keep both of those low and you will be sweet.
Like Hedges, I usually start by looking at capacitors offered by the major component houses.
They are always from suppliers with a long history of quality control and reliability.

Cheap Chinese off e-bay is not usually a good bet.

Last edited:
I think I found the specs for the Lelon caps used in the HESP unit. https://www.micros.com.pl/en/product/ke-47050035x50lt,90341.html

It is rated for 2000 hours operation under 105C

Typical capacitor spec.

2000 hours is a man-year. After we stopped have 12 hour days and 7 day workweeks.
At reduced temperature of course life increases exponentially, can reach decades.

But parts do run at elevated temperature. And environment inside an enclosure is hotter than ambient.
Assume 85C air and PCB, determine rise above that. Plan direction of airflow so they get air before not after power transistors and inductors.

The cynical answer is, the cheapest capacitors available that will last through the warranty period.
Its the only way to stay profitable and remain in business these days.
Thank you for following up.
Unfortunately that makes sense.

But what exactly are you looking for
I was mainly curious if you had any feedback on the lelon caps in @bigbrovar 's AIO / if SRNE is using crap components.

I'll do some learning on ripple currents.

I was mainly curious if you had any feedback on the lelon caps

I'll do some learning on ripple currents.
To be honest I have never heard of Felon capacitors.
Must be a small company, or a new company, or both ?

Ripple current is the ac current that surges in and out of the capacitor. The internal foil and connections have electrical resistance and that always causes some internal heating. High internal temperature is not just because its sitting in a hot environment, some of the heat comes from inside.

If its in a cool environment, you can be a bit more bold with ripple current.
If its in a hot place and ripple current is high as well, its not going to be a very happy capacitor.
As Hedges suggests, the electrolytics should always get the coolest air, and don't overlook a fan upgrade if you plan to push the inverter a bit from time to time.

Thank you both @Hedges and @Warpspeed
I always learn new things from both of you (and countless other members).

So an electric dryer cycling on an off would create high ripple current as would a well pump or miter saw, induction cooktop, etc?

I'll definitely look into fan upgrades / additional ventilation, I have a tendency to push things every now and then...

Not "cycling on and off", simply drawing high AC current. But the ripple current in capacitor is more likely higher frequency switching, which it filters.

Single phase inverter has rectified 60 Hz drawn from capacitor and battery. Except capacitors can't supply anywhere near the energy needed without voltage swinging much more than battery allows. I measured significant ripple in battery current.

An HF inverter would probably draw ripple current to create 60 Hz. I measured PV input of GT PV inverter, saw about 3.5V ripple on 350V. PV current is relatively constant (sawtooth with MPPT switching), while current drawn by inverter is rectified sine wave.

I'll share it when I get it.

The 12kW has me interested but I don't need the fancy features some do.

I'll probably be the test dummy for parallel ASF's, under $3k for 20kW AC output, 22kW solar with four 500V 22A MPPTs and 400A charging. Seems like an easy decision.
Waiting for this 👌🏻

Some good news.
I found specs for 1 of the capacitors used (I think for the battery / DC side of things given it is rated 63v)
It has a lifespan of 10,000 hours which seems to be the industry standard for quality caps.
It is made by "Samyoung" a Korean company with close relationships to Nippon.
Specs is here https://jlcpcb.com/partdetail/2975108-NXA_63V_2200UF_1840/C2827938
Just now reading this thread. I thought someone was trouble shooting an ASF. I see now we’re component investigating. I’d have to open it back up and look at caps

Not "cycling on and off", simply drawing high AC current. But the ripple current in capacitor is more likely higher frequency switching, which it filters.

Single phase inverter has rectified 60 Hz drawn from capacitor and battery. Except capacitors can't supply anywhere near the energy needed without voltage swinging much more than battery allows. I measured significant ripple in battery current.

An HF inverter would probably draw ripple current to create 60 Hz. I measured PV input of GT PV inverter, saw about 3.5V ripple on 350V. PV current is relatively constant (sawtooth with MPPT switching), while current drawn by inverter is rectified sine wave.
I read a document that stated APPLIANCE MODE for the HF inverter being discussed would/could help to extend the devices life as opposed to running in UPS MODE, could this have any truth in regards to factors mentioned?

Not something I'm familiar with, but have seen the words.

Speed of switching when grid is dropped, and voltage tolerance.

For my Sunny Island, offgrid settings tolerate wider voltage (generator) vs. grid (UL-1741 rules.)
As for switching speed, our power went out for several seconds last night, then inverter picked up the load. I think it is fast when grid drops fast (I throw a switch), but for some reason it can let power completely go away for a while.

So Xi' an Borick Intelligent Technology is claiming to have stock of the ASP and HES split phase.
I'm skeptical because the SRNE "official" store says not in stock yet.
HES 12k $1679 plus shipping. (I'm guessing around $250). The HES has generator and grid input. Spec shared was already posted once or twice.
Waiting on UL status since it's not called out in spec.
Screenshot_20240407-221715.jpg

Back