diy solar

diy solar

The new 24V Victron MP-II 2x120v is in stock at Inverters R Us

Hello Rick! I'm new to this forum and am trying to decide what I want to build. I have been looking at Victron myself and liked both the MultiPlus and the Quatro. What made you decide on the MultiPlus II over some of Victron's other units?

The Multiplus II are ideal for RV that have a 50amp connections. I bought my “regular” Multiplus before the II’s came out. Oh well…

I am sure there are more applications - but that one is the big one.

Rocketman I'm looking for something I can setup with limited knowledge that can power 120 & 240 loads. Something that's cheap and simple!
Know what I mean! This Multiplus II seems to fit the bill....

Buzz, the real question is what loads do you want to run?

Victron makes very good equipment (I have way too many expensive blue boxes in my MotorHome), and I highly recommend them.

Go with the highest battery voltage you can - 24v is better than 12v for the 3000’s - 48v would be even better.

The unit you get depends on what loads you want to power (although if you later decide on more loads you can put two units together and double the output).

Hello Rick! I'm new to this forum and am trying to decide what I want to build. I have been looking at Victron myself and liked both the MultiPlus and the Quatro. What made you decide on the MultiPlus II over some of Victron's other units?
Hi Buzz, #1 reason is the ability of the 24v MP-II to be safer than a 12v system. With a 3k inverter and a 12v system, the amps are at a risky, high heat level even with 4/0 cables. 2x panel wattage allows for saving $$ on the Solar Charge Controller. I also like that I can run a short wire under my truck’s hood where my DCB2B charger is and then make an efficient, cost saving longer run at 24v to my RV’s battery bank.

@Buzz the multiplus 2 doesn't actually power 240VAC@60hz loads.
Most 50A RV's don't actually have any 240VAC@60hz loads.
Do you actually have an 240VAC@60hz loads?

@Buzz the multiplus 2 doesn't actually power 240VAC@60hz loads.
Most 50A RV's don't actually have any 240VAC@60hz loads.
Do you actually have an 240VAC@60hz loads?
EDITed again: I'm always confused about this 2x120V inverter and think it actually does split phase--but it's only passes it through!

Last edited:
There is a 12V Multiplus II that does split phase 2x120... That's what we call 240V here right? I was told recently there are some newer RVs with split phase panels but I've never seen it myself.

My 48V Multiplus II though does not do split phase, you're correct when it comes to the one I own, it's only a single 120V output, not split phase.

EDIT: from the link,
"The PMP122305100 Victron MultiPlus-II 24V 2 x120V is the perfect one-box mobile solution for standard North American 50A 120/240VAC split-phase applications. "

Yeah it says 240V split phase right here.
The inverter does not generate 120/240VAC split phase only 120VAC.
"Output when in inverter modeOutput voltage: 120 VAC ± 2%Frequency: 60 Hz ± 0,1% (1)"
Please consult the power flow diagrams in this link https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-MultiPlus-II-3kVA-2x120V-EN-.pdf

Last edited:
The inverter does not generate 120/240VAC split phase on 120VAC.
"Output when in inverter modeOutput voltage: 120 VAC ± 2%Frequency: 60 Hz ± 0,1% (1)"
Please consult the power flow diagrams in this link https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-MultiPlus-II-3kVA-2x120V-EN-.pdf
The real datasheet immediately explains it only inverts 1 x 120V--thank you. I would replace all my 240V split phase stuff (same as with my 48V Multiplus II), so you can actually run those loads when there is excess solar.

Back