diy solar

diy solar

The next thing? Inverter or Battery? All in 1?

Markus_EG4

I am from Germany. Don't mean to come off rude
I want to get anyone’s thoughts on what they think the next thing is. Or what’s missing, what could be better. Please feel free to share your thoughts.

Smart panel like SPAN but without the required preferred vendor install. 40 spots instead of 32. Built in EMP/Surge. Talks to EG4 inverters, Ethernet/wifi, app works on local network if internet down.
Take that one step further. Inverter/breaker panel all in one! It can take the breaker panels place and use less space!

- A module with a bunch of relays that will open / close at programmable battery voltages
- An inverter with the same functions that solar assistant has, with an app for your self phone or tablet
I like the idea of stronger Monitoring!!!

Higher voltages x3.

Modular battery system that can be put in series on site to keep shipping costs down and maneuverability easy.

Make an AIO that is user serviceable with easily replaceable components, make sure the components are available for purchase after x years.

More info on equipment, such as: the MTBF on critical components, testing procedures done, life expectancy under various operating and environmental conditions.

Open source local monitoring solutions.

More beta testing, less firmware updates.

Tough question. We have a plethora of NEC and other restrictions to navigate so I fear that some desires may be unrealistic.

Can’t make wall mounts within a certain distance, can’t over stack the rack mounts (if code enforced)
I believe this would also implicate some of the HV PV input desires as well.

I used to strive for a 16kw or larger single inverter but have realized that simply makes wiring potentially unbearable due to amperage demands.

High voltage in general could be big on the horizon and if one were to sort of “pioneer” this segment as a household name vs the Uber pricey stuff that could become far more than a niche?

I think a more modular or serviceable competition to ecoflow and anker could be interesting. Certain design aspects could be implemented to assist the more diy or permit averse crowd as well.
Ie a prepackaged 6kxp with married 10kwh battery (maybe back to back for form factor) on wheels.

A lot of people seem to be fans of “smart” technology. Maybe bring that with panels and load centers, but secure US based server infrastructure FIRST so that when advertising out of the gate, the concerns of data going overseas may be of comfort to some

Shoot even more trivial things like test different mounting orientation of existing equipment. Such as a flat mounted 6kxp vs a vertical orientation.

Lots of good ideas so far.

Would like to see some HV equipment.

I like the idea of an AIO with batteries but it seems like it would be too heavy.

The AIO with built in breakers/panel would really simplify installation for a lot of people.

Open source would be really sweet. Would allow people to build in additional integrations or custom monitoring.

I’m all for user serviceable hardware. Saves a lot of time if something goes down.

An official solar assistant/home assistant plugin for local monitoring.
That exist on the 18kpv either one of these ports they as in SA or HA just need to configure their software

Attachments

• bde7c20341870fd6a9dc99c7000cdcc7.jpeg
    bde7c20341870fd6a9dc99c7000cdcc7.jpeg
    167.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 4dc0da352d34adb277d5753ffce5dc43.jpeg
    4dc0da352d34adb277d5753ffce5dc43.jpeg
    103.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
My specific desire would be cases of 280-315 or whatever cells with welded bus bars so that I could build on that.

I would feel more confident in the welded bus, and more confident that you have the supply chain leverage to actually exert some QA.

Maybe doesn't line up with the actual business though, because that's already half way to just making a packaged battery like those already for sale.

Back