diy solar

diy solar

UK Using 3 Fogstar 5.12kWh Energy Server Rack Batteries, cant keep them in sync

Above my pay grade, I expected it to work coming from the supplier. I was told it would be configured to work with my inverter. Too old to be tech savvy but can configure settings if talked through the procedure. How would I obtain information of what the correct settings are?

Above my pay grade, I expected it to work coming from the supplier. I was told it would be configured to work with my inverter. Too old to be tech savvy but can configure settings if talked through the procedure. How would I obtain information of what the correct settings are?
See this topic

Can I assume the settings on @Oldman2 post #49 to be what I am aiming for. Can I make the changes to the battery whilst it is connected to the inverter or do I need to isolate battery and remove Comms lead.
Will watch the video posted by @houseofancients and with a faint heart delve into my battery tomorrow.
Thank you all for helping will let you know how I get on.

Can I assume the settings on @Oldman2 post #49 to be what I am aiming for. Can I make the changes to the battery whilst it is connected to the inverter or do I need to isolate battery and remove Comms lead.
Will watch the video posted by @houseofancients and with a faint heart delve into my battery tomorrow.
Thank you all for helping will let you know how I get on.
Yep, those should get you there..
Don't forget if you change settings in your BMS, you need to do that for each of your batteries..
Please report back , if you notice a positive or negative change !

Yep, those should get you there..
Don't forget if you change settings in your BMS, you need to do that for each of your batteries..
Please report back , if you notice a positive or negative change !
Do I need to disconnect it from the inverter

It is a fogstar rack battery the battery has shown the same warning as @Oldman2 above and also cell overvoltage warning. It had already shown the fully warning and was continuing to charge, it was 55.8+ but by the time I had grabbed my camera it was starting to come down. I have contacted Solis and installed a data logger next week I will ask them to update the software and alert them to the alarms, but my gut feeling is it is the battery.
Starting from the beginning, can I assume you installed the battery?

Did you select a battery name like Fox or Pylontech in the Solis menu? or go for user defined settings?

With the battery did you download the tools from Fogstar, install Pbmstools software and using the rs232 battery port lead to pc/laptop USB port supplied set the BMS to operate as a Pylontech clone?

Did you select a battery name like Fox or Pylontech in the Solis menu? or go for user defined settings?

With the battery did you download the tools from Fogstar, install Pbmstools software and using the rs232 battery port lead to pc/laptop USB port supplied set the BMS to operate as a Pylontech clone?
Yes both those were set up by fogstar before delivery, though both battery and inverter selection are pylon I was going to change inverter to Solis but it is not listed. One of the selection was Chinese writing? And I selected pylon on my inverter.

When I start to make changes to the parameters, will they stay or do I need to click write all for them to stay?

Well that was a waste of half an hour. Made the changes but the pbmsTools write all and reset settings are locked anyone know what fogstars password is? These are the parameters it will not let me change.
Screenshot (1).png

Last edited:
Well that was a waste of half an hour. Made the changes but the pbmsTools write all and reset settings are locked anyone know what fogstars password is? These are the parameters it will not let me change.
View attachment 167789
It may be Pz#168178
I use version V2.5FN for everyday stuff and thats password is 123456 (no protocol section in this software)
I would read all then edit just what you need to change and then write all to save it.
hth

It may be Pz#168178
I use version V2.5FN for everyday stuff and thats password is 123456 (no protocol section in this software)
I would read all then edit just what you need to change and then write all to save it.
hth
Thank you for your help but no joy.
Note attached to download is same password, typed this in and enter. Still not allowed to make changes. Deleted and reinstalled program, same.
Two options next to password change and clear. Tried to change, original password error. Will have to try and contact Fogstar on Monday.

I use this one for daily checks and any adjustments, its very user friendly and stays open on my desktop most days, I think I downloaded from Jakiper batteries site PbmsTools_V2.5EN.zip password is 123456
It may be worth you getting it for future use, maybe someone here can link you to it.

Thank you for your help but no joy.
Note attached to download is same password, typed this in and enter. Still not allowed to make changes. Deleted and reinstalled program, same.
Two options next to password change and clear. Tried to change, original password error. Will have to try and contact Fogstar on Monday.

I use this one for daily checks and any adjustments, its very user friendly and stays open on my desktop most days, I think I downloaded from Jakiper batteries site PbmsTools_V2.5EN.zip password is 123456
It may be worth you getting it for future use, maybe someone here can link you to it.
Thanks for that downloaded from the Jakiper site and able to change the parameters to mirror post# 49. Battery charging, cell 16 never reached balance and a couple of other cells over voltage. Delving into battery not as scary as I feared.
Screenshot (4).png

You need to knock your charge voltage down to allow #16 to catch up and let the balance run for longer.
I suggest 55.5-55.8v.
Thanks but you need to tell me where to find the setting, is it on the actual inverter? If yes I will find it.

Thanks but you need to tell me where to find the setting, is it on the actual inverter? If yes I will find it.
In the inverter charge settings. You will only be able to change it if you are NOT using comms between battery and inverter.

I have a Solis RAI-3K-48ES-5G AC Coupled Inverter and 3 Fogstar 5.12kWh rack batteries, the Pace BMS in these is set to mimic Pylontec as Fogstar isnt on the Solis list and that seems to be working out just fine.
My problem is 2 of the rack batteries will charge and discharge in sync with each other in percentage terms read from either the batteries screen or from the BMS via PbmsTools V2.5FN. The current discharge and charge remain pretty close to the same on these 2 batteries too when viewed via PbmsTols.
Battery 3 though seems to have a mind of its own, generally lagging behind the other 2 by up to 5% in charging and not taking the same charge current as the other 2.
Even if I charge all 3 together to 100% via solar during the day, by next morning they will be 71%, 71% & 67% As you can see B1 & 2 are still in sync 12hrs later but B3 is way off at 67%.
View attachment 160978
The 3 batteries are in parallel with pos/neg supply cables to opposite ends as in photo. I have tried various other combinations starting with red to battery 3 and black to battery 1, both supply leads to battery 2 and also both to battery 3 with pretty much the same results. Battery 3 always goes out of sync with the other 2 remaining in sync.
This lead me to the conclusion that B3 had a problem so I swopped it for another battery, within 24hrs the replacement B3 is again out of sync.
I tried a constant 39A charge from the Solis.
B1 registered 12.01A 54.10v 70% on PbmsTools
B2 registered 11.64A 54.08v 69%
B3 registered 15.16A 54.03v 71%

Why would B3 get the lions share of charge current? I thought they should be balanced at around 13A each.
So does anyone have any ideas as to how I get the 3 batteries to act as one or close to same?
Anyone here also using multiple Fogstar 5.12kWh server rack batteries? Your experiences may help.

I hope you figure it but I"m just wondering why people just don't go to a single 14.3 KW battery and instead go with 3 small 5 KW batteries seems like a headache.

EEL and Seplos both have a case that fits the 280AH cells.

I hope you figure it but I"m just wondering why people just don't go to a single 14.3 KW battery and instead go with 3 small 5 KW batteries seems like a headache.

EEL and Seplos both have a case that fits the 280AH cells.
Because it was a "just to market" new battery and being unsure if I wanted or needed more than 5kWh of storage I bought just 1 battery. It soon became obvious that 2 packs were needed to cover my use and it was much easier to purchase 2 more than to loose the money on the first purchase by moving over to another type/brand.

Back