diy solar

diy solar

VICTRON MULTI 2 48/5000 compatible with "No brand" server-rack batteries?

MrSteve

Hi all.
I am helping a friend with building an ESS system using the following components:

- Victron Multiplus2 48/5000
- Cerbo GX
- Smart MPPT 150/60
- 8 400W solar panels (2 panels in serries - with 4 of these serries in parallel)
- EM24 KWH meter at the main breaker panel.

(We might go for the all-in 48V Victron Easy Solar unit in stead of the loose components)

ESS SETUP.png

And of course the 48V batteries..
We were looking at the Pylontech US3000 3.3kwh because we know it's a very good match,
gets used a lot with the Multi and communication between the Pylon and Multi should be working without any problems from what i heard.

But we are also looking at other "budget friendly" server-rack batteries.. with a bit more KWH's for the money.
Only problem i see with some other brands (apart from there unknown durrabilty) is that in don't know for sure they can communicate with the Multi.
Most have the same Seplos BMS from what i understand.

Would it be an good option if we find a sweet No Brand server-rack battery but it does not communicate with the Multi
that we simply use a Smart Shunt between the battery and Multi? Or are we missing something?
I figure the BMS takes care of the batteries itself and if we supply the correct charge and cutt-off settings in the Multi
this should work out fine.

What is your thought about that option.
Thanks much!

Steve

Schermafbeelding 2022-07-09 om 18.52.04.png

Last edited:
I have a 24V 2000VA MultiPlus combined with simple drop-in LiFePO₄ batteries. There is no communication at all between the batteries and the MultiPlus. Everything works just fine. I have a BMV-712 (basically the SmartShunt plus a display) that I use to monitor the batteries.

Direct communication between an inverter/charger and the batteries really isn't needed to have a working system.

I setup the MultiPlus with proper charging settings and a safe LVD.

I have a 24V 2000VA MultiPlus combined with simple drop-in LiFePO₄ batteries. There is no communication at all between the batteries and the MultiPlus. Everything works just fine. I have a BMV-712 (basically the SmartShunt plus a display) that I use to monitor the batteries.

Direct communication between an inverter/charger and the batteries really isn't needed to have a working system.

I setup the MultiPlus with proper charging settings and a safe LVD.

Yes, i thought this would be the case as old school AGM and such also work perfectly fine for many years without direct communication.
I guess it's a question of personal prefarance and or the willingness to pay a bit extra for the communication option.

Thanks for your response.

Back