diy solar

diy solar

Washer/Dryer, Dishwasher, and A/C!?

Which battery setup should I keep? Remember, the site for these is relatively inaccessible...

• Total voters
I did order battery balancers for the BB I already have. That should eliminate the balancing right? But yes with the 48v batteries it seems like not worth something going wrong by running in series.

Is EG4 the way to go?
It's a good option.

One item you may to consider adding is a busbar for the batteries - it looks like you kinda have one…

The Victron PowerIn is a big bus bar that will make connecting and disconnecting batteries easy (for maintenance), also you can put several together. And it would be easier to add the power from a rack mount right to that spot.

You probably want to make one BIG battery (w/16 Battleborns and a ___rack mounts).

Be sure and read the owners manual for the Victron Multiplus that you have. Some of your questions are answered in it. Also read Victron’s “Wiring Unlimited”. Yes some stuff will go over your (and my and most people’s) head - but you will learn LOTS!
The system does have the individual bank disconnect switches as seen directly to the right of the batteries in the image. So I can disconnect parts as needed. I already have 4 battery balancers on order so the 12v in series stay balanced.

I have my eye on some EG4 V1 48v 100ah batteries. I probably don't need them really until next season, but tempted to buy now to start planning the system upgrade.

Do we think prices will drop substantially by the spring?

So if I got 5x EG4 48v packs and wired them in series, then I can put them through a bus bar along with the Battleborn connection all going to the inverter right?

So if I got 5x EG4 48v packs and wired them in series, then I can put them through a bus bar along with the Battleborn connection all going to the inverter right?
You have the right idea - except those 48v packs will be connected in Parallel with your 48v Battleborns.

Who knows if the batteries in the spring will be cheaper or more expensive- a lot depends on the lithium supply.

But because the batteries are a technology product, they should be a bit better. So I would wait until you need them to get them. (But that’s just me).

You have the right idea - except those 48v packs will be connected in Parallel with your 48v Battleborns.

Who knows if the batteries in the spring will be cheaper or more expensive- a lot depends on the lithium supply.

But because the batteries are a technology product, they should be a bit better. So I would wait until you need them to get them. (But that’s just me).
Have a line on someone selling new in box EG4 48v 100ah V1s for $1200 per. He bought them but didn't use them for a project. Have been sitting for a year or so. Can get 5 of them. Would save almost $1500 between shipping and tax over ordering online.

And yes, my mistake, have them in parallel as they are already 48v.

Have a line on someone selling new in box EG4 48v 100ah V1s for $1200 per. He bought them but didn't use them for a project. Have been sitting for a year or so. Can get 5 of them. Would save almost $1500 between shipping and tax over ordering online.
Test them. Sitting for long periods can be bad.

I'd want to run them through a full charge/discharge/charge cycle, using a shunt or calibrated battery tester to measure actual input and output.

Any recs as far as a machine to do the testing?
Not me, but I've seen battery threads here and videos with people who do it right. And Will does a lot of battery testing, or course. Most here like the Victron Smart Shunt, they hook up a resistance heater or something to drain the battery and take readings from the shunt.

I have a smart shunt but it's hooked up to my system currently. Would be nice to have a simple portable tester that I could bring with me, anyone have a rec??

Could bring a high wattage portable heater. But that's going to take a while to test five batteries isn't it?

Could 5x 48v EG4 packs and my 16x Battleborns wired in 48v all run through the same charger and inveter?

They could but they might not share well.
I had mixed bms's on 6 different batteries and 2 of them stopped sharing the load as the garage heated up. Then they would finally kick in when the others were flat and pass high current to "charge" the flat ones. Not a great situation.

They could but they might not share well.
I had mixed bms's on 6 different batteries and 2 of them stopped sharing the load as the garage heated up. Then they would finally kick in when the others were flat and pass high current to "charge" the flat ones. Not a great situation.
I'd rather not lug 48v cells out there only to have issues mixing the BB and EG4. Guess then my only option is more BB or sell the BB or more EG4 48v? Would def be easier to mix and match!

Last edited:
It seems like your Battleborn batteries are worth good money to people that want them, so I would investigate that angle and hopefully go with a standard single battery type if you can.
Like I said before, seeing an almost fully charged battery hitting an almost empty battery with way over 150 amps is kind of frightening.

It seems like your Battleborn batteries are worth good money to people that want them, so I would investigate that angle and hopefully go with a standard single battery type if you can.
Like I said before, seeing an almost fully charged battery hitting an almost empty battery with way over 150 amps is kind of frightening.
So either sell the 16x BBs for around $650-700 each, so $10,500 approximately, and then buy 8x EG4 48v batteries for around $1500 each so $12k. Will have to spend a couple thousand but alot of work to get out the BB, schlep down and on boat, and install new EG4s.

OR buy 16 more BBs for approximately $14k and have a similar capacity. Much easier to do but over $10k more spend.

What would you guys do?

Last edited:
Back