diy solar

diy solar

What size wire for series connection on 4P16S?

I want to make some 4P16S batteries using headway cells. I don't plan on drawing more than 1C.

In order to make wiring the bms easier, all positive ends will be facing up. What size wire should I aim for when making the serial connections? The thinking is I would rather have the wires act as fuses and melt first before sending a giant current to the rest of the system in a fault event. I have fuses for the main positive terminal.

Headway can output, what, 25C? What amperage output and input are you planning to feed the loads?

I am building a solar generator cart. My mppt can only do 20a. I have a 2000w inverter. I don't plan on pushing 25C, ever. I might be able to find a better deal per AH but space isn't a factor for this project and I already have the headway cells and BMSes.

Ok, you are planning on one bms or two? 4p 16s implies a single bms.
I would guess the headways are paralleled with bussbars?
Max current is going to be 42A so if you want the wires to act as fuses, you would use a pretty small conductor that can pop above that, but doing that will cause voltage drop in the bank.
If you are not using bussbars between the 4cell paralleled, you could make the parallel conductors act as fuses, size each to handle 10A… I don’t think I would build this size with these cells using conductors as fuses.

Yes I have busbars for the parallel connections. I have the 8ah Headways so 1C would be 32a. Am I looking at a wire that can handle 2 amps * 1.25 between each series connection?

And a single BMS per 4p16s pack.

Back