diy solar

diy solar

Which inverter to choose.

TheMetalSmith

So I have done a fair amount of looking and it just leads me to more confusion. So I am hoping someone can help guide me in the right direction.

I am looking for a inverter / parallel inverters. I do not currently know my watt usage as we are building our house so it will grow as it becomes more and more of a finished full time house. The house is fully off grid.

I would Ideally like to power a standard 200amp electrical panel like a normal house.

In terms of batteries and solar panels I figured they will build up over time as I believe it would be extremely costly to fet everything all at once. So I would like to get the proper inverter now that will handle all future loads. I also have a 5kw wind turbine to add to the system.

I have been looking at the sungold 18000 and the EG4 18pv, Amongst others.

Part of my problem is I am in canada and most of the inverters seems to be shipping out of the US. I am worried about being hit with large custom fees and tax.

TL:DR - Where is a good spot to buy inverters in canada and what inverter setup would be good to supply a 200amp panel like a normal house.

Both the Sol-Ark 15K and the EG4 18pv offer some features that the sungold doesn't.

They have direct pass through for 200a, allow generator or AC coupling along with DC and grid
Both have better warrantees, and fairly extensive knowledge of users on this board.
Not sure with the sungold, but I believe both the 15k and 18k allow the generator port to be used for a critical load panel.

Multiple solar sites in Canada list both inverters, the EG4 18K is also luxpower

Last edited:
I'm off-grid w/grid assist.

I use 2 x 12,000w 'independent' AIMS and SGP (dumb) inverters -> ATSs -> home circuits. This gives me 24,000w = 100a @ 240v. I did this because buying a 24,000w or larger inverter just wasn't available 6 years ago when I did this at a reasonable price. At 240v@100a it's possible to overload with dryer + cooktop + heat-pump (heat + water) + oven + regular and then some larger shop tools.... such as a stone saw, table saw, maybe both in practice it works and we've not overloaded.
1714062220108.png

So I'd say look over you're overall 'critical circuit list' and get a handle on what you need. For us, we left out the hot-tub and about 30% of secondary 120v circuits (dishwasher for example) from the 'critical list' and found that 24,000w works. In a dire emergency, I can wire in the 30% circuits at the main panel and we could serialize use. I also use an MTS at the main panel that let's me alter the overall load on the inverters just by flipping switches - e.g. I can take the dryer (4500w) off the critical circuits list by flipping a switch to give breathing room for a heavy shop tools for a while.

But to apply 24,000w I had to 1) I had to separate circuits between the 2 x 12,000w dumb inverters to balance things out and 2) wire in several ATSs.

If you can get a single unit like Sol-Ark or EG4 and it can handle 'most of you're regular needs' then I'd consider that as simpler than multiple inverters. Some units let you parallel them to reach 24,000w+ levels such as Schneider or even cheaper MPP Solar etc.... For example, for 240v/120v US split-phase you can do this kind of thing - https://www.mppsolar.com/v3/lvx6048/ - to get closer to 48,000w. Not pushing MPP Solar, just sharing the concept....
1714062545691.png

Last edited:
Do you mean "Load Control"? The critical loads subpanel would be connected to the inverter load terminals.
Yeah, I said it backward, but the general idea is that you can use the gen port for output instead of input.

Smart Load
A. This mode uses the “GEN” input as a load output that delivers power when the battery exceeds a user programmable threshold or
when the Sol-Ark is connected to the grid.
B. When “🗹 Use gen input as load output” is enabled, the “GEN” input terminal turns into an output to power high-power loads such
as a water heater, irrigation pump, AC unit, pool pump, or any other loads.

Last edited:
So I have done a fair amount of looking and it just leads me to more confusion. So I am hoping someone can help guide me in the right direction.

I am looking for a inverter / parallel inverters. I do not currently know my watt usage as we are building our house so it will grow as it becomes more and more of a finished full time house. The house is fully off grid.

I would Ideally like to power a standard 200amp electrical panel like a normal house.

In terms of batteries and solar panels I figured they will build up over time as I believe it would be extremely costly to fet everything all at once. So I would like to get the proper inverter now that will handle all future loads. I also have a 5kw wind turbine to add to the system.

Part of my problem is I am in canada and most of the inverters seems to be shipping out of the US. I am worried about being hit with large custom fees and tax.

TL:DR - Where is a good spot to buy inverters in canada and what inverter setup would be good to supply a 200amp panel like a normal house.
Hello- I'm new to this forum as of today- I read your post and you mention you are in Canada as am I. I have been researching inverters and batteries for my grid tied new project and I have been learning you have to careful what you purchase. I will need to pass an electrical inspection for my project and I have learned all my components must be CSA & UL approved to start with. There are other certifications also. That goes right down to the racks that hold your solar panels, wiring etc.

I have been researching inverters and I have found so far the Sol-Ark 15K does meet Canadian requirements. The EG4 18KPV is made by Luxpower and there are different versions of essentially the same inverter with different badging. The Luxpower LXP-LB-12K is CSA & UL certified & has almost the same specs as the EG4 18KPV. I am currently researching to see if the EG4 18KPV is CSA approved. I think it is between the Sol-Ark and the Luxpower for me at this stage.

So far in my travels the best deal I have come across is https://solarpowerstore.ca/ They have sent me a 3% discount code on my first order and offer free shipping in Canada for orders over $5000. I am not associated with them nor do I have any idea how they are to work with as I am waiting for my research to conclude before I order.

Also note if you're adding batteries to your system they cannot be stored in your house. You can store batteries in your garage up to 20Kwh. Any more and then you need a separate shed/building so many feet away from your house as per the Canadian fire code.

Battery Canadian electrical code rule:

64-918 Location and separation requirements for energy storage systems

4) Energy storage systems with a storage capacity greater than 1kWh or utilizing lithium-ion batteries shall not be installed in
a) dwelling units; and
b)any living space of a residential occupancy including clothes closets, storage rooms.

5) Energy storage systems installed outside of a dwelling unit shall not be installed within 1m of any window, door, or ventilation opening.

6) Notwithstanding subrule 4), residential use energy storage systems shall be permitted to be installed in garages of dwelling units, provided that the
a) storage capacity of any single energy storage system does not exceed 20 kWh; or
b) aggregate storage capacity of multiple energy storage systems does not exceed 40 kWh and the energy storage systems are spaced not less than 1m apart.

7) Energy storage systems
a) directly mounted to a building surface shall have
i) for a single energy storage system, a storage capacity not exceeding 20 kWh; and
ii) for multiple energy storage systems, a spacing of not less than 1m apart and an aggregate storage capacity not exceeding 40 kWh; or

b) installed in or on a detached garage, storage building, or free standing structure, shall have
i) for a single energy storage system, a storage capacity not exceeding 20 kWh; and
ii) for multiple energy storage systems, a spacing of not less than 1m from a dwelling unit and an aggregated storage capacity not exceeding 80 kWh.

Last edited:
Both the Sol-Ark 15K and the EG4 18pv offer some features that the sungold doesn't.

They have direct pass through for 200a, allow generator or AC coupling along with DC and grid
Both have better warrantees, and fairly extensive knowledge of users on this board.
Not sure with the sungold, but I believe both the 15k and 18k allow the generator port to be used for a critical load panel.

Multiple solar sites in Canada list both inverters, the EG4 18K is also luxpower
I did not realize that the EG4 was branded as Luxpower. This was a brand I saw that added to the confusion. Thanks for that bit of information. Does EG4 offer 200amps bypass? I the spec sheet said 90amps, which i am guessing is 90amps on each 120v phase? Where the Sol-Ark spec sheet straight up says 200amp.

I also did not realize about the gen port being used as a load output was an option.

Hello- I'm new to this forum as of today- I read your post and you mention you are in Canada as am I. I have been researching inverters and batteries for my grid tied new project and I have been learning you have to careful what you purchase. I will need to pass an electrical inspection for my project and I have learned all my components must be CSA & UL approved to start with. There are other certifications also. That goes right down to the racks that hold your solar panels, wiring etc.

I have been researching inverters and I have found so far the Sol-Ark 15K does meet Canadian requirements. The EG4 18KPV is made by Luxpower and there are different versions of essentially the same inverter with different badging. The Luxpower LXP-LB-12K is CSA & UL certified & has almost the same specs as the EG4 18KPV. I am currently researching to see if the EG4 18KPV is CSA approved. I think it is between the Sol-Ark and the Luxpower for me at this stage.

So far in my travels the best deal I have come across is https://solarpowerstore.ca/ They have sent me a 3% discount code on my first order and offer free shipping in Canada for orders over $5000. I am not associated with them nor do I have any idea how they are to work with as I am waiting for my research to conclude before I order.

Also note if you're adding batteries to your system they cannot be stored in your house. You can store batteries in your garage up to 20Kwh. Any more and then you need a separate shed/building so many feet away from your house as per the Canadian fire code.

Battery Canadian electrical code rule:

64-918 Location and separation requirements for energy storage systems

4) Energy storage systems with a storage capacity greater than 1kWh or utilizing lithium-ion batteries shall not be installed in
a) dwelling units; and
b)any living space of a residential occupancy including clothes closets, storage rooms.

5) Energy storage systems installed outside of a dwelling unit shall not be installed within 1m of any window, door, or ventilation opening.

6) Notwithstanding subrule 4), residential use energy storage systems shall be permitted to be installed in garages of dwelling units, provided that the
a) storage capacity of any single energy storage system does not exceed 20 kWh; or
b) aggregate storage capacity of multiple energy storage systems does not exceed 40 kWh and the energy storage systems are spaced not less than 1m apart.

7) Energy storage systems
a) directly mounted to a building surface shall have
ii) for multiple energy storage systems, a spacing of not less than 1m apart and an aggregate storage capacity not exceeding 40 kWh; or

b) installed in or on a detached garage, storage building, or free standing structure, shall have
ii) for multiple energy storage systems, a spacing of not less than 1m from a dwelling unit and an aggregated storage capacity not exceeding 80 kWh.

https://solarpowerstore.ca/ is something I have also run across in my travels and is pretty much the site that prompted me to write this question because it started talking about the Luxpower and Maple Leaf power walls and i thought to my self "oh great is this real? I haven't seen these brands talked about before"

Talking about the Canadian certifications is something too consider as well, luckily I am in an unorganized township so I can get away with some stuff not being ULC / CSA but obviously the closer I am to being 100% compliant the happier I will be.

I believe we have a distributor based in Ontario if you wanted to check here: https://eg4electronics.com/distributors

Back