diy solar

diy solar

Why do I want to add more solar panels when I don't need them?

Mine bitcoin with the excess power.

Is this not a waste of time now? How much is actually being generated? is it worth it? I need excuses to go down this path, please enlighten me?

Is this not a waste of time now? How much is actually being generated? is it worth it? I need excuses to go down this path, please enlighten me?
Depends on your electricity rate or how much excess solar you have.

I've been mining for the last 3 years and have never not turned a profit. But it is a pretty involved process and takes a lot of my time away.

Depends on your electricity rate or how much excess solar you have.

I've been mining for the last 3 years and have never not turned a profit. But it is a pretty involved process and takes a lot of my time away.
Can you share, to the level of precision you're comfortable with, how much money / profit we're talking about? Is it like $200 a month or something trivial?

I've gone well past "sensible" at this point and have plenty of power and want for nothing. I don't even know what I'd do with more power, but sort of like finding ways to add more HP to a car, I still feel the need to hot rod my house further. Is this normal, or are these signs of a problematic addiction?

with your user name and the problem you are describing, i think you must be one of Rickover's homies....

Not that this has anything to do with the thread but the question about a totally electric home revived my memory.
In 1960 my parents bought a new home that was 100% electric with General Electric Company devices.
The living room, hallway and bathroom had GE electric baseboard heating. Each bedroom had it's own GE thermostat controlled wall mounted heater with a textured glass heating element. The electric range, electric clothes dryer and 50 gallon electric water heater in the basement were GE. The steel kitchen cabinets had General Electric labels and there was even a small General Electric AM radio in one of the cabinets.
The good old days.
What color were the appliances? Harvest gold, Avocado, brown?

I am not even sure where that "I don't need them" spot would be. As being pretty new, and not as much in the know as most here, I don't understand this statement.

Batteries I have always thought as the gas tank, how far you can go before you run empty. The solar panels as the hose filling them up, more panels bigger hose, slower to empty when the sun shines. More batteries longer to run when the sun does not shine. Sitting here in snow and -6F temps makes me happy I have a good supply of power should the lines have an issue. I know one thing however, it would never be enough.

Can you share, to the level of precision you're comfortable with, how much money / profit we're talking about? Is it like $200 a month or something trivial?
It's been very up and down, especially the last 12 months. Profitability is on the rise, but I have seen $10 days, I've seen $100 days. This all depends wildly on the hardware you have, and how much effort you put into it. It's not like 2 years ago where you set it to mine ETH or BTC and walked away for a year.

House roof is covered. Was going to cover the garage next. But it would only help in summer. So now I am going to clear some trees and put in a few ground mount arrays. They will be oriented for winter production. Then maybe the garage last. As I don't need more summer production. Until I have somewhere to put it.
What's your ROI on that?

I haven't even put up all my 5kw of panels I got in December and I'm trying very hard not to order that 6kw palet on sale for $2000. I don't even know where/how I would mount it. My ground mount area has half a day shaded. The only reason to buy now would be if solar will get more expensive because of inflation

Back