diy solar

diy solar

18kpv w/two PowerPro Startup & Communication - HELP (resolved)

Alarm always on? short circuit. Manual says disconnect the power cables, and check

Gave a little more thought to this post as I drove back down to the valley. The Alarm light isn't always on. I can turn on the BMS and the battery's breaker and there is no alarm. When I do that, I test 52 volts on the inverter's battery lugs which shows that the battery is sending power up to them. There is no continuity between positive and negative, nor is there continuity with anything else. There are no shorts, faults or alarms on the battery until I turn on the inverter's battery breaker. The instant I switch on the inverter's breaker, I hear a "click" from each battery and the red alarm lights come on.

Whelp. Just my luck... Just got off the phone with EG4 and was told that it sounds like my inverter is dead. Now waiting for a call back from Solar Sovereign to see what needs to be done.

Wish me (better) luck.

The gray cables are for battery to inverter and inverter to inverter. The green cables are the communication cables between the batteries. I doubt that will fix the problem but worth a try.

Attachments

• IMG_6570.jpeg
    IMG_6570.jpeg
    1,007.3 KB · Views: 14
What ended up being the solution?
Dead inverter.

Took a couple of weeks of back and forth with Solar Sovereign to get an RMA and return label.

Received my replacement last week and installed it and so far everything is working well. Been playing with different settings to get things just right. The eg4 techs here on this board have been a great help.

Dead inverter.

Took a couple of weeks of back and forth with Solar Sovereign to get an RMA and return label.

Received my replacement last week and installed it and so far everything is working well. Been playing with different settings to get things just right. The eg4 techs here on this board have been a great help.
Wow. This is one of the few duds I've read about. Did they say what the failure was?
Glad to hear everything is working.

Wow. This is one of the few duds I've read about. Did they say what the failure was?
Glad to hear everything is working.
No, they never gave me a final diagnosis but I assume that one of the internal components gave out. It was working initially, but after a couple of times turning it off and back on to try and get the battery communication working, it wouldn't restart.

No, they never gave me a final diagnosis but I assume that one of the internal components gave out. It was working initially, but after a couple of times turning it off and back on to try and get the battery communication working, it wouldn't restart.
Can I see your battery bank?

Can I see your battery bank?
My battery bank is 2 PowerPros. Pictures of all connections were posted earlier in the thread.

With the first inverter (the one that died), initially everything started up fine. Then I had to turn the breakers off and back on a few times to try and get the communication settings working. No wiring changes were made. No settings were changed except for battery coms. After 3 or 4 times turning the inverter off, it didn't come back on via battery power. It WOULD come on still via PV power though.

The new inverter is working WONDERFULLY save for a couple of minor software hiccups that Jarret has helped me with.

Attachments

• 18kpv.jpg
    18kpv.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 10
Back