diy solar

diy solar

400w 4 in 1 panels.

Mattb4

Solar Wizard
Happened to run across something new in the way of solar panels as I was researching possible buys at Ebay on 200w panels to add to my second array. There are kits that allow you to bolt together 100w panels either as a 2 in 1 for a 200w panel or 4 in 1 for a 400w panel. Yesterday I offered to buy a 4 in 1 that was listed at $278.99 for $265.00 and the offer was accepted. Should be interesting how it (they) work out adding to my array. The present setup is all 200w panels in a 2S2P arrangement. Since the voltage of the 100w when in parallel equals the voltage of a 200w and the added amperage of two 100w in parallel equals one 200w the math all works out. I likely will run 2 of the new 100w in parallel and than in series with 2-200w panels and than in parallel with the other 2-200w + 2-100w. Sorta blows up the simple array of XSYP designation.

Heck, I am not sure how I should refer to it other than as total array wattage of 1200w at Voc of 65v and 22a.

If anyone else is interested the panels are listed at: https://www.ebay.com/itm/404204938041?hash=item5e1c7de339:g:4MkAAOSwCOJkEW28&autorefresh=true

Attachments

• 1682515736168.png
    1682515736168.png
    344.1 KB · Views: 14
Received these panels yesterday. Packaging was fairly good but one of the panels diode and MC4 connector box was lose from its glue. Stuck it back on with some silicone glue I had on hand. No other damage was observe. These are the smallest mono 100w panels I have with being only 58cm X 76cm outer dimensions giving .44sq-m (my oldest poly 100w panel is 68cm X 102cm with .69sq-m as a comparison). They could only barely reach 100w if 23% efficient so I take the rating with a grain of salt until I have a chance to test them. These are Pfctart brand and they come with no specification label on the back for volts or current. That is not a great thing for knowing Voc and the other specs other than getting it from the sales listing for this setup.

Voltage testing out at 22.3v in the afternoon sun yesterday. I have not done a current test yet

ETA: Grabbed a short circuit current test off the re-glued diode panel just after 9am. The reading was 4.2a which is not much below spec and likely would reach spec once the sun is higher in the sky. So far so good.

After looking at these a bit I am going to assume they are more like ~75w if fairly spec'd out. Should be interesting when wired into the array later this year on how they produce.

Last edited:
Being the brilliant* individual that I am I decided to mount these panels this morning after the heavy rains last night. I figured being gray and overcast (plus having my MC4 extension cable due to show up in the afternoon mail) made for a great time. So I took down the 2- 200w panels that were occupying where these new 4 in 1 ones were slated to go. I reinforced with vertical 2x4 runners since the method of connecting these 100w panels into one 400w leaves a bit to desire for sturdiness. The aluminum frame is not all that rigid no matter how strong the connecting plates are.

* The brilliant part began when I attempted to mount the old large 200w panels onto the ground mount where they would reside. Since I had to hold the panels with both hands, hold the wrench in my mouth, hold another wrench in my third hand, and use my knee to brace the bottom part of the panel as it got fastened into place, it was simple. That is until lightning flashed, thunder rolled and the heavens opened up with a deluge of water.

I managed to get everything up and firmly mounted. Than after a shower and change of clothes a few hours later the rain had stopped again so I wired up 2-100w in parallel and than in series with 2-200w. This makes half of the array since the other half needs the extension cable. Output was 66v which is just what it should be. So far so good as I watch the wattage rise and fall with momentary sun appearances between the clouds. I was pleased to reach 500w at one point which gives a 83% of rated output. Much better than I expected from these small panels. Should be interesting to see how they do when I get a day with regular sunshine. I might have to admit that my previous estimate of how much wattage they would deliver was wrong.

Attachments

• P1010005.JPG
    P1010005.JPG
    263.7 KB · Views: 10
  • P1010006.JPG
    P1010006.JPG
    271.2 KB · Views: 10
I thought you were done with solar?!

EDIT:

Nevermind, as you prepare to mount your last panels.. so now you're done. :cry:

Between the pop up deluge downpours of the last couple of days and today I have been able to observe how these new panels being used in my #2 array are doing. My #1 array consists of 12 -100w panels 3S4P (1200w) configuration and #2 array with the 4 in 1 added to theh previous 4-200w panels in it (also1200w total). Both arrays track fairly close together in terms of output wattage (when the sun shines). Individual amp checks for the 100w panels both old and new are fairly close in value.

Since both arrays are equal wattage output and track close together as the sun comes and goes this means the new 4 in 1 panels in array #2 are working just fine.

Back