diy solar

diy solar

Do I need a Victron Shunt if I have a server rack battery?

solar_trees

I'm looking into purchasing a Victron Multiplus II along with a Victron MPPT and Lynx distrubutor. If I pair these with a server rack battery, like the EG4 LifePower4, do I still need to add a Victron shunt to the system (e.g Lynx Shunt or Smart Shunt)? Or do server rack batteries already provide the same functionality as the shunt?

I don't think you need a shunt. But no, the lifpo4 doesn't have a display to retrieve info. They just work.
You can spend a little more and get the LL battery that has a display.
I get all the info I need from the inverter. But some people like to keep track of all ins and outs of there system.

What if I want to configure the Multiplus II to switch to grid power once the battery reaches a certain state of chage? Does the Multiplus need the battery (or a shunt) to communicate the battery charge state, or can the Multiplus detect charge state on its own?

I have not worked on a multiplus but most inverters do exactly what you are saying. In the settings (usually) you can set the parameters for this. Something like 20-30% switch to grid and than back to inverter at, say 50-60%. That shows the inverter that charging is underway, as not switch back and forth too much because incoming solar is minimal.
Did I explain that ok?

It is more complicated than that but, without communications from inverter to batteries you will have to use voltage, and sometimes that's less than ideal.

Back