diy solar

diy solar

Does this schematic look right?

xavpil

For my sailboat, 800 W (2x400w)
I don't worry yet about the specs of each item.
Thx friends!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-12-02 at 7.06.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-12-02 at 7.06.36 PM.png
    535 KB · Views: 72
It looks accurate to me. Only question I might have is the disconnect for the mppt to the +/- block might be unnecessary, unless you’re thinking you need a way to de energize them on both sides so you could replace them without turning off the system.

I would also suggest to connect your smart shunt to your cerbo so you can see you batteries SOC remotely instead of only with the guage.

I would also say you don’t need 2 charge controllers, you’re under 150v and 45amps either in a series or parallel wiring of your panels.

It looks accurate to me. Only question I might have is the disconnect for the mppt to the +/- block might be unnecessary, unless you’re thinking you need a way to de energize them on both sides so you could replace them without turning off the system.

I would also suggest to connect your smart shunt to your cerbo so you can see you batteries SOC remotely instead of only with the guage.
Thanks so much for the feedback. I’ll fix as you mentioned

I would also say you don’t need 2 charge controllers, you’re under 150v and 45amps either in a series or parallel wiring of your panels.
Some people say that if one MPPT goes down at least I am still able to create some energy… I’ll be on a boat, offshore. What do you think

Some people say that if one MPPT goes down at least I am still able to create some energy… I’ll be on a boat, offshore. What do you think

If using 2 MPPT (for redundancy) suggest wire each MPPT directly to bus bars and not daisy chain them. Also suggest using same bus bars for batteries.

If using 2 MPPT (for redundancy) suggest wire each MPPT directly to bus bars and not daisy chain them. Also suggest using same bus bars for batteries.
firs off thx!
what do you mean by "same bus bar for batteries"? Isn't it what I have already?

sorry, what do you mean exactly? the switch between panels and MPPT?
Those DC switches are high amperage low voltage.
Screenshot_20231204_124837_Edge.jpg

They don't have the travel range, speed or arc suppression to safely disconnect higher voltage. (I see that the panels are only 50v but it would be better to use a PV isolation switch)

Those DC switches are high amperage low voltage.
View attachment 181150

They don't have the travel range, speed or arc suppression to safely disconnect higher voltage. (I see that the panels are only 50v but it would be better to use a PV isolation switch)
wow.... thx...
What do you think about not using any switch as the recommendation I received previously?
Maybe I should have them closer to the batteries?

wow.... thx...
What do you think about not using any switch as the recommendation I received previously?
You're on a boat. I would add a 12 amp inline fuse and keep the isolation switch.

firs off thx!
what do you mean by "same bus bar for batteries"? Isn't it what I have already?
Sorry, let me rephrase so it makes more sense.

Edited:
Use another set of bus bars for the batteries. The Wide RED and BLACK LINES between the batteries in the picture replace with a set of Positive and Negative bus bars. Then run equal length wires from each battery Pos & Neg to the corresponding battery bus bars. Finally run wires from the Battery bus bars to Pos bus bar already shown in the picture and the neg to the Victron battery monitor.

You could also run two equal length wires from both batteries to the Victron Battery Monitor for the negative and run two equal length wires from both batteries to the Positive of pictured Bus bar and that will work, but a dedicated set of bus bars for the batteries will be cleaner and allow additional batteries to be added in the future.

Hope that helps

Last edited:
wow.... thx...

Agree with @Zapper77.

A switch is a good ideal. If there are problems it is nice to have a quick way to disconnect the solar panels from the Solar Charge Controller.

The link below should work.

Sorry, let me rephrase so it makes more sense.

Use another set of bus bars for the batteries. The Wide RED and BLACK LINES between the batteries in the picture replace with a set of Positive and Negative bus bars. Then run equal length wires from each battery Pos & Neg to the corresponding battery bus bars. Finally run wires from the Battery bus bars to Pos & Neg bus bars already shown in the picture.

You could also run two equal length wires from both batteries to the Victron Battery Monitor for the negative and run two equal length wires from both batteries to the Positive of pictured Bus bar and that will work, but a dedicated set of bus bars for the batteries will be cleaner and allow additional batteries to be added in the future.

Hope that helps
Closer?....

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-12-04 at 12.43.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-12-04 at 12.43.45 PM.png
    142 KB · Views: 17
Closer?....

Yes closer, but sorry I had it worded incorrectly in my first response. Look at the edited response.

Finally run wires from the Battery bus bars to Pos bus bar already shown in the picture and the neg to the Victron battery monitor.

So just one wire from the positive battery bus bar to the existing pictured bus bar and one wire from the negative battery bus bar to the Victron Battery Monitor.

Attachments

• Bat Bus Bars1.png
    Bat Bus Bars1.png
    147.1 KB · Views: 12
Yes closer, but sorry I had it worded incorrectly in my first response. Look at the edited response.

Finally run wires from the Battery bus bars to Pos bus bar already shown in the picture and the neg to the Victron battery monitor.

So just one wire from the positive battery bus bar to the existing pictured bus bar and one wire from the negative battery bus bar to the Victron Battery Monitor.
oh man.... last shot and I'll leave you alone :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-12-04 at 1.20.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-12-04 at 1.20.41 PM.png
    165.6 KB · Views: 14
Back