diy solar

diy solar

EV Network issues and a possible fix? A thought experiment...

The only thing that is holding back on EV sales is the " non Tesla, public" charging experience.
Not enough chargers.
Unreliable chargers.
And the time required to charge.

When charging is as easy and reliable as filling up the tank. EV's will be the preferred option.

Last edited:
The only thing that is holding back on EV sales is the charging experience.
Not enough chargers.
Unreliable chargers.
And the time required to charge.

When charging is as easy and reliable as filling up the tank. EV's will be the preferred option.
"The charging experience" was one of the top factors that went into my decision to purchase an electric vehicle. I never have to go to a gas station again. Charging is far easier and more pleasant than stopping at a gas station, standing outside in 110 degree heat, breathing gas fumes. Now I just plug in a cable every few days.

Maybe I'll have to wait at a public charging station some day, but I'll gladly trade all those trips to the gas station for that time spent.

I have no personal experience with public charging stations, so anything I could say about that would just be parroting what I see on the internet, but I do know that every new generation of EVs seems to have longer range and faster charging, which can only reduce the need to use them and therefore reduce demand.

I might have a slightly different opinion as most. I've had my Tesla Model 3 for about 6 months now, and have taken a few long-ish distance trips (greater than 1200 miles). I have NEVER had range anxiety, and I trust the Teslas battery percentage FAR more than I trust a gas gauge in any other vehicle I've owned. Hell it even tells you if you arent going to make it, and to slow down to a specific speed to make it there with little reserve. Its damn hard to actually run out of charge. It does happen though, with unforeseen traffic etc.

As far as charging, I don't think our charging network is as bad as some people put it out to be. FOR NOW. I have never gotten to a charging station and it be full and no where to plug into. I never had a problem finding one. I've never even shown up to a broken one. I have had reduced charging on a couple (80-120kw instead of the advertised 250kw), but I just move over 1 spot and it works fine. As the EV adoption increases, that might change, but again, most people are going to be charging at home.

Having level 2 chargers at gas stations everywhere I feel is very useless. To charge at level 2 would take far far too long. If I needed to put 50% battery in my Model 3 LR, it would take 3.5hrs, maybe more. I love @timselectric idea of having 14-50a outlets that you can plug your own charger into, for emergencies, and then pay by the hour for the parking. But the big thing about the EV is charging at home! Even on 110v, overnight its a non-issue for MOST of the population, even myself. I work from 7am-4pm, so I can charge at 1kw for an easy 12-14 hrs and get 48 miles of range, more if my voltage is stable and close to 120v. Now there is the possibility of putting level 2 chargers at places where you will already be spending a good amount of time at. Malls, Restaurants, Hospitals, etc. There is already a Mexican Restaurant in my town with 2x free level 2 chargers in the parking lot, if you are dining with them. They can turn it on from inside when you request it.

But as painfully stated in this thread a few times, it's not for everybody, but it is for the majority.

I also see it another way. I installed solar on my home (enough to cover my house, the car, and then some), for $23k (after tax credits), which is a minimum payment of $250/mo with a Solar Loan. This made my electric bill $0 (compared to $500-600 in the summer). It also pays for all my fuel, which at the time was getting to $300-500/mo depending on my schedule. So for $250/mo, I cover my electric bill and all my fuel costs. I also calculate a 6 year ROI on my Solar Loan, so after 6 years I have free power and free fuel. It was a no-brainer in my position.

Adding in what is mentioned above, I LOVE not going to a gas station. The type of people they attract... etc. I don't want to have charging stations turn into what so many gas stations are.

"The charging experience" was one of the top factors that went into my decision to purchase an electric vehicle. I never have to go to a gas station again. Charging is far easier and more pleasant than stopping at a gas station, standing outside in 110 degree heat, breathing gas fumes. Now I just plug in a cable every few days.

Maybe I'll have to wait at a public charging station some day, but I'll gladly trade all those trips to the gas station for that time spent.

I have no personal experience with public charging stations, so anything I could say about that would just be parroting what I see on the internet, but I do know that every new generation of EVs seems to have longer range and faster charging, which can only reduce the need to use them and therefore reduce demand.
With limited driving and a place to charge at home. An EV's charging experience is much different than for most people.
I drive a lot, and would require the use of public charging quite often. Which is the charging experience I was referring to.
I will edit my post to say "public charging experience".

As far as charging, I don't think our charging network is as bad as some people put it out to be.
Ok, it appears that I need one more edit to my post.
"Non Tesla public charging experience" lol
Tesla charging stations are plentiful and reliable.

With limited driving and a place to charge at home.
The point is that EV owners currently make up a very small percentage of those in that segment of the population, and that is a large segment of the population. Certainly there are those that EVs currently don't make sense for, but if the public charging infrastructure is the primary reason that most are not buying EVs, than I believe it's due more to a misperception than reality.

One thing that isn't mentioned here is there are tons of public EV chargers all around and usually those are in the best parking spots too. Malls are a great example as they'll have chargers right in front. Also most seem to be free which is just icing on the cake. Whenever I fly somewhere we try to get an EV, usually on Turo so its someone's. We've never had an issue finding a place to charge in public.

I plan on getting EV plugs for my RV and just charging up my lithium with it at night in those free spots if we're ever boondocking :) Biggest issue is most free ones are in parking garages and Shorty won't fit :(

The point is that EV owners currently make up a very small percentage of those in that segment of the population, and that is a large segment of the population. Certainly there are those that EVs currently don't make sense for, but if the public charging infrastructure is the primary reason that most are not buying EVs, than I believe it's due more to a misperception than reality.
Not a misconception, but a reality.
Ev public charging (other than Tesla) sucks.
Until it's fixed, adoption will be held back.
A very large part of the population live in multi family dwellings. Or only have street parking.
Which means that they don't have the ability to charge at home.

Not a misconception, but a reality.
Ev public charging (other than Tesla) sucks.
Until it's fixed, adoption will be held back.
A very large part of the population live in multi family dwellings. Or only have street parking.
Which means that they don't have the ability to charge at home.
17 percent live in apartments/condos and a decent percent of them have garages or EV chargers already at the site or don't even have a car.

I thought all EVs can use Tesla charging stations so isn't that solved?

Even if we eliminate half the population in the US, that leaves around 150 million potential EV owners.

Also, let's not forget that level-1 charging is also an option for those that don't have a large commute.

IMO, the effort should be placed in putting chargers where we live, work, and spend time, not in dedicated charging facilities. Electricity is everywhere, we just need to be able to plug in when we park, wherever we park if necessary.

17 percent live in apartments/condos and a decent percent of them have garages or EV chargers already at the site or don't even have a car.
Maybe in California.
but that's not the case for everywhere.
The 5 cities that I mostly work in. Have very limited access to public charging. And all would require me to go out of my way to get to them.

Even if we eliminate half the population in the US, that leaves around 150 million potential EV owners.

Also, let's not forget that level-1 charging is also an option for those that don't have a large commute.

IMO, the effort should be placed in putting chargers where we live, work, and spend time, not in dedicated charging facilities. Electricity is everywhere, we just need to be able to plug in when we park, wherever we park if necessary.
Agreed
But that's a major undertaking.

Maybe in California.
but that's not the case for everywhere.
The 5 cities that I mostly work in. Have very limited access to public charging. And all would require me to go out of my way to get to them.
Seems there's certain states that's purposefully not wanting EV chargers but the most have adopted. WV and PA seem to be the worst I've seen.

There's chargers all over where I'm from and anywhere I travel too. Every mall or major shopping center seems to have them and Telsa chargers are all over strategically placed.

Idk of a major city that doesn't have a charging station within 30 miles of eachother.

Seems there's certain states that's purposefully not wanting EV chargers but the most have adopted. WV and PA seem to be the worst I've seen.

There's chargers all over where I'm from and anywhere I travel too. Every mall or major shopping center seems to have them and Telsa chargers are all over strategically placed.

Idk of a major city that doesn't have a charging station within 30 miles of eachother.
I only know of one Tesla super charging station. And it's on the other side of town.
I work mostly in Kentucky and Indiana.

I only know of one Tesla super charging station. And it's on the other side of town.
I work mostly in Kentucky and Indiana.
Idk man looks like a ton everywhere. My daughter is just starting at UK and I'm trying to convince her to let me get her a model3

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230811_192031_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230811_192031_Chrome.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20230811_192001_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230811_192001_Chrome.jpg
    318 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20230811_191950_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230811_191950_Chrome.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20230811_191938_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230811_191938_Chrome.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 3
Idk man looks like a ton everywhere. My daughter is just starting at UK and I'm trying to convince her to let me get her a model3
Are those all super charger stations?
Because they don't show up on Google maps.
And I haven't seen any while driving around.
They must be well hidden.

Are those all super charger stations?
Because they don't show up on Google maps.
And I haven't seen any while driving around.
They must be well hidden.
Nope all kinds of types. Typically they are hidden or at least not blatantly obvious. Like by my office they're building another supercharger behind a strip in some spare parking lot area.

Check out plugshare.com and look around your area

Nope all kinds of types. Typically they are hidden or at least not blatantly obvious. Like by my office they're building another supercharger behind a strip in some spare parking lot area.

Check out plugshare.com and look around your area
If they were all super charger stations, it could change my mind.
I will admit that I wasn't aware of any of them. And I was actively searching. Hopefully things will improve, soon.

If they were all super charger stations, it could change my mind.
I will admit that I wasn't aware of any of them. And I was actively searching. Hopefully things will improve, soon.
Superchargers don't really matter much and most EVs can't handle any crazy fast charging. Run to the store or the mall and get a charge. Not 0-100% but 60-90%

Superchargers don't really matter much and most EVs can't handle any crazy fast charging. Run to the store or the mall and get a charge. Not 0-100% but 60-90%
The problem is that other than super charging stations, everything else is unreliable.
And if I only charged from 60 to 90%, I would have to charge twice daily.

Back