diy solar

diy solar

EV Network issues and a possible fix? A thought experiment...

It will happen.
Soon, depends on your definition of "soon".
I think that 50% is possible in 10 years.
They should have the charging situation handled by then.

They should have the charging situation handled by then.
I don't know what the "charging situation" is that needs to be handled? I assume you do not own an EV and this is just conjecture? I have been driving EVs for eleven years and have no problem charging on road trips or at home. As far as the fix suggested in the title of this thread, a typical DC fast charging solution is a totally different infrastructure issue than found at most gas stations. It typically takes a fairly large transformer.

Last edited:
I don't know what the "charging situation" is that needs to be handled? I assume you do not own an EV and this is just conjecture? I have been driving EVs for eleven years and have no problem charging on road trips or at home. As far as the fix suggested in the title of this thread, a typical DC fast charging solution is a totally different infrastructure issue than found at most gas stations. It typically takes a fairly large transformer.
The lack of enough available and reliable chargers is the problem.
I'm guessing that since you live in California, probably drive a Tesla, and own your own home.
You don't see the problem for the rest of the country.
I agree that more reliable DC fast chargers are the solution.

I did not have a problem when I drove across the country in my Tesla three years ago. Now that almost all the manufactures are adopting the NACS connector that Tesla uses that means any problems which I did not see should be solved. Part of that is because Tesla can access Federal money to subsidize further build out of chargers.

I did not have a problem when I drove across the country in my Tesla three years ago. Now that almost all the manufactures are adopting the NACS connector that Tesla uses that means any problems which I did not see should be solved. Part of that is because Tesla can access Federal money to subsidize further build out of chargers.
Not sure how far across country you drove. But there are large gaps without chargers. And you have to pick a route that has them.
It will definitely get better. Tesla is always expanding. The new automakers alliance for charger deployment. And the adoption of NACS. Will all play a role in it.
But, we aren't there yet. It will still take some time.

But there are large gaps without chargers. And you have to pick a route that has them.
I obviously picked an Interstate. I did have to detour South to miss the flooding in Iowa. The motel we stayed at in Nashville had a Level 2 charger which we used a few nights. The return trip though New Orleans and Texas, New Mexico and Arizona.

To my knowledge one of the issues are the multiple charging standards, but that is changing. In the last couple of months both Ford and GM have announced that they would be converting to Tesla's system. I have a feeling Stellantis (Chrysler) will soon follow.

For billing there is work being done on each vehicle have an individual electronic ID that will be linked to a credit card when you purchase an EV. You plug in, your vehicle provides your ID and you get billed.

For practicality EVs are currently practical for roughly half the population, and then probably not as their only vehicle. I know for both myself and my wife an EV wouldn't work, maybe for my son. But I live in a rural area. We are also a long way from them being practical for any sustained high power use situation.

For practicality EVs are currently practical for roughly half the population, and then probably not as their only vehicle.
Why do you think it would not work as an only vehicle for most? I can imagine maybe having issues if you like camping in the middle of nowhere, but I live in Arizona, where there is alot of nowhere, and couldn't find a place that I had been that was outside of EV range from a charger. That's obviously going to improve as well.

I suppose the types of EVs available today might not fill all niches, but there are large SUVs coming out, and more choices of trucks, etc.

Yes, I don't see the problem in the US, since it does not seem to be a problem for the rest of the world. China has worse elecctrical infrastructure than the US and last year 24% of new car sales in China were BEVs. Norway is even larger as a percentage of sales. I have always thought of this great country of ours as leading in technological innovation and change but that is not the case with EV adoption.

It becomes a challenge if you are off grid and also drive the vehicle during the day. One could say to ramp up PV production, but that requires another massive bank because the vehicle is not on property.
Then I get home and it’s nearly dark. Puts one in a bit of a pickle.
No public charging station for 130 miles
I could easily make it day to day. But the “just plug into your dryer plug” doesn’t really work for me

Yes, I don't see the problem in the US, since it does not seem to be a problem for the rest of the world. China has worse elecctrical infrastructure than the US and last year 24% of new car sales in China were BEVs. Norway is even larger as a percentage of sales. I have always thought of this great country of ours as leading in technological innovation and change but that is not the case with EV adoption.
Too much bureaucracy here.

Back