diy solar

diy solar

ExpertPower 12v 3000W Pure Sine Wave Inverter Charger

Next made up a suicide cord and tested the buit in charger.
A suicide cord has two male ends.
The name comes from the fact that if you plug one end into a live receptacle, the other end can kill you.
I'm guessing that you meant a standard power cord.

No, the type I refer to is wall plug one end with bare wires on the other. Just as bad as the one you refer to.
That is a standard power cord.
But yes, I can be dangerous. If you plug it in, without having the other end wired to anything.

I've been using the 2000w version for 6 months or so as a simple UPS for my media server. I replaced an APC smart UPS 2200 when the batteries fail. For my purposes it works really well. I have it set to prefer DC so it cycles the battery down. And I have the AC cord on a wall timer so it can't charge during my work hours as the fan is pretty loud.

The switch from AC to DC says 5ms and the computers don't even notice.

As mentioned the AC input could use a cover. Ill have to put a scope on it to see about ripple from the charge circuit. This thing is super heavy duty and specs say it should handle a large inductive load if I ever need it for power tolls in a remote area.

The Expert Power 3000 watt inverter came Monday in the rain.
Got it hooked up today to test out. It arrived double boxed with closed cell foam packing in the inner box. It comes with a remote on/off/ Power save switch, mounting brackets, a 30 ohm 25 watt pre charge resistor, 2 cables about 6 feet long and manual. The cables are about 1/0 and the ring lugs are crimped and @Will Prowse, soldered. Manual calls for 3/0.
Initial test data 0.28 amp spike through pre charge resistor. Power save mode 0.3 amp and on mode 7.8 amps . Batteries started at 13.33 volts. Floor fan on low 9.96 amps/31watts. All values reported by Victron 500 amp smartshunt.
For higher wattage values I used a heat gun and small electric heater. 1840 watts for the heat gun, 815 watts on low for the heater and 1293 watts on high. Again wattage reported by the smart shunt. By varying settings of the heat gun and space heater I ran the inverter at 3420 watts, 270.4 amps for 5 minutes. Positive inverter cable was hot enough to burn you. Put the heat gun and space heater on fan only and let the unit cool down. 1.7kWh used during the test.
Next made up a suicide cord and tested the buit in charger. Charge ran between 58.6 and 59.3 amps. There was some kind of noise on the DC out. No scope so don't know what it looked like. 1.4kWh brought the batteries back to 99%.
Battery charging was a little uneven but that was due to mismatched cables.
Over all not a bad inverter for $619. One thing I don't like is no way to turn it on without the remote switch and no cover over the ac input/output terminals.
It will work fine with 400 aH Battery bank for a few hours to run a 15000 BTU roof air on the RV.
Sounds like nice inverter-charger. I typically see 135-140 amp discharge when running our 15,000 btu rooftop air. That includes everything else in the camper, including the 12-volt fridge.
I'm using 24" long double 2/0 cables between the batteries and the inverter-charger.

Sounds like nice inverter-charger. I typically see 135-140 amp discharge when running our 15,000 btu rooftop air. That includes everything else in the camper, including the 12-volt fridge.
I'm using 24" long double 2/0 cables between the batteries and the inverter-charger.
That is what I estimated for current. The cables that came with the inverter are to small. I have 2 pair of 3 ft 2/0 I can use.

Back