diy solar

diy solar

Pure Sine Wave Inverter (CE EMC RoHS FCC) Alarm

kcross888

Good day all, new to solar -- bought an off grid skoolie here and having my first issues with the solar. Worked great through the fall, now that winter is here I don't know if it's the shorter days or colder temperatures, but the batteries won't charge. Honestly it doesn't even matter, I run an extension cord and I don't even use the off-grid system. The only devices I had on the system were the fridge and water pump and hot water heater (propane). But starting like a week ago the Pure Sine Wave Inverter (2000w 24v) has started a high pitched alarm. Turning it off and on fixed it for a few days then it came back. Now it's alarming constantly and it alarms within a few seconds of coming back on.

The manual shows nothing about an audible alarm. It has some troubleshooting based on the lights, but the only light is the solid blue which indicates everything is working as expected.

Anyone have any idea what might be going on here? And is there any kind of issue if I just leave the thing off? I'm not sure which parts of the solar system are safe to remove/turn off.

Low voltage on batteries alarm?
Very, very likely. Which is a little weird because I use the batteries for so few things. But it is certainly winter and colder than it has been, with less sun. But it's like they aren't charging at all. Can I just turn off the inverter so the alarm stops? I know the inverter is used to bring power from the batteries to the wall outlets, etc. But I don't know if it provides any kind of safety stuff like ensuring the batteries charge correctly or dont overcharge... I know that's what the charge controller is for but... Just really very new to all this and don't want to do anything unsafe...

Is my understanding if this device correct? It's just converting the electrical signal for "actual use" and it's safe to turn it off and the battery charge controller will (maybe) continue to allow the batteries to charge, and not overcharge (if they actually charge at all)?

4 VMAX SLR155 AGM 12V 155ah Deep Cycle SLA Rechargeable Batteries. They worked in the fall. It's like they slowly discharged as the days got shorter, colder, and cloudier. They certainly haven't been able to fully charge in weeks, even with everything disconnected from the inverter.

Can I just turn off the inverter so the alarm stops? It's this high pitched squeal that has been going for days and it's driving me crazy.

Its not good for lead acid batteries to remain in a discharged state for long periods of time. Being as theyre sealed its not recommended to do an equalization charge to remove sulfation on the plates. Im still sticking with its a battery problem and not an inverter problem. Do you have a plug in battery charger?

Back