diy solar

diy solar

wzrelb pure sine wave 5000w 24v power inverte

Using a Kilowatt meter like seneysolar mentioned for the inverter output would be a great step.
You also could use a meter on your battery before the inverter. A Victron Smartshunt would be ideal and a wonderful long term investment for measuring exactly what is going into the battery and out of the battery.

A very cheap alternative that I have never used and not have any experience with or reason to recommend would be

Last edited:
Ok. I'll try getting one. Thank you. I'm also going to try leaving just the zapper plugged in to see what happens

Ok. I'll try getting one. Thank you. I'm also going to try leaving just the zapper plugged in to see what happens
The kilowatt meter is awesome and a lot of fun. I have tested just about everything in my house with the ones I have.
A battery shunt is the same information but on the DC side. And is very useful to find out if your batteries are performing how they should be.
You really do need to go full on geek with this type of stuff! :cool:

Last edited:
I would always recommend more solar. But there is absolutely a chance that that will not help resolve this.
This is what I am worried about. I figured that maybe getting a second panel and a bigger controller would fix this but I don't want to keep spending money if I am not certain that it will.

You absolutely need a 2nd solar panel if you expect to charge via solar at 24v . Only having 1 might as well be

This is what I am worried about. I figured that maybe getting a second panel and a bigger controller would fix this but I don't want to keep spending money if I am not certain that it will.
We started with a battery problem. I dont know if that problem is resolved.

I put them both on a car charger and they both read at 100% when finished. I'm wondering if the batteries just aren't getting charged enough during the day?
Typically car chargers are set for charging lead acid batteries. Your LiFePO4 work best when charged to their particular needs. Forget any charge indication that says 100%. It is not reliable. However at least your charging is giving hope that you may not have damaged the batteries with the mistake in wiring them previously.

Until you have your PV system built to properly charge 24vDC LiFePO4 batteries any battery capacity testing based on a car charger is rather worthless.

I will reiterate my comment that LiFePO4 batteries are best when they are built for the inverter voltage and not lower voltage used in series to get there.

I put them both on a car charger and they both read at 100% when finished. I'm wondering if the batteries just aren't getting charged enough during the day?

Of course they aren't. You have no means of charging a 24V battery. Your single panel absolutely, positively will not charge your 24V battery. Period. I thought you understood this.

Several times we've emphasized how important it is to define your loads/needs in a meaningful way. You response with "do you think this will work?"

Suck it up and buy a kill-a-watt or similar device. Commit to learning from your mistakes and Measure the actual energy you're using. Once you have that information, you can formulate a plan.

You already made multiple beginner mistakes, and you seem hell bent on continuing making them.
If you can't commit ~$20 to that effort. Give up. Sell/return everything you can, or give it away.

Summary of errors (off the top of my head):
  1. Failure to plan before procuring equipment.
  2. Buying an inverter likely 10X larger than needed.
  3. Choosing a 24V inverter where 12V is a better match.
  4. Wiring a charger to a 12V in a 24V system.

WE ARE SIX PAGES INTO THIS EXERCISE, AND YOU'RE STILL ASKING "DO YOU THINK THIS WILL WORK?" The answer is no. It won't. You can't keep making the same mistakes and expect this to resolve.

Cut your losses or commit to do it right. I'm tired of saying the same things to you over and over.

Bye.

Thank you for all the positive and some negative comments. I guess being a newbie and not understanding all the lingo used on here makes it that more difficult for me to understand and for you trying to get me to understand it. I did find something rather unusual. I charged the 1st battery to its capacity yesterday and when charging the 2nd one it was already at 100% which indicates to me that I must not have the system wired correctly from the controller. I had it wired the same way I have the inverter terminals wired. The positive to the 1st battery and the negative to the 2nd battery. Is that not correct?? What I was trying to ask by asking "if this will work" is to know how to proceed. In your all's opinion, would you just downgrade the inverter or upgrade the charging system??

Thank you for all the positive and some negative comments. I guess being a newbie and not understanding all the lingo used on here makes it that more difficult for me to understand and for you trying to get me to understand it. I did find something rather unusual. I charged the 1st battery to its capacity yesterday and when charging the 2nd one it was already at 100% which indicates to me that I must not have the system wired correctly from the controller. I had it wired the same way I have the inverter terminals wired. The positive to the 1st battery and the negative to the 2nd battery. Is that not correct?? What I was trying to ask by asking "if this will work" is to know how to proceed. In your all's opinion, would you just downgrade the inverter or upgrade the charging system??
None of this makes any sense. Details matter. We already established with you that you have insufficient PV voltage to charge your batteries when wired in series. We hopefully have established that any readings of capacity are meaningless until you have the correct equipment. We also should have corrected any mistakes in properly wiring your setup.

So how to proceed? Understand system requirements. Your inverter must have 24vDC. Your batteries must produce 24vDC, your SCC must charge 24vDC batteries, your Solar panels must produce sufficient PV voltage to operate the SCC.

Loads will determine if the system you build is adequate to supply them.

At this point you are set up for a small 12v system, just wrong inverter.

That inverter is too big for what you need anyhow from the sounds of it.

Maybe a cheap 12v inverter around 1000w would suffice for charging your tool batteries. Least expensive route rather than buying another battery and solar panel
This was on page 2.

This is still a viable path forward. You will spend about $100 on a cheap inverter.

When all is said and done you will have:
2 batteries parallel to remain at 12V but give you 100AH
single solar panel with controller capable of charging a 12V system
A 12V ~1000w inverter

___________When you get to this point you will have a functioning 12V system. How much you load it up by plugging in bug zappers will determine how long it will run before needing the sun to come up again for recharge.

This was on page 2.

This is still a viable path forward. You will spend about $100 on a cheap inverter.

When all is said and done you will have:
2 batteries parallel to remain at 12V but give you 100AH
single solar panel with controller capable of charging a 12V system
A 12V ~1000w inverter

___________When you get to this point you will have a functioning 12V system. How much you load it up by plugging in bug zappers will determine how long it will run before needing the sun to come up again for recharge.
Thank you very much to all those who have responded and again I apologize for my ignorance. I didn't know anything about anything when it comes to setting this up and all your help is greatly appreciated. I will try selling the 24v inverter and get me a 12v.

Back