diy solar

diy solar

few questions about solar power....

went out for a fag (smoke)
How many of them would you have to not smoke so you could buy some decent quality equipment?

I admire your persistence to make what you have work but I really think it's not worth the effort in the long run. The knowledge you are gaining through all of this is invaluable. Once you have a proper system you'll forget about your fags while you sit back and enjoy some air conditioning.

If the forum had a letsfundsolar feature you'd get my vote.

If your fridge pulls 300 watts steady state, and it's a standard compressor based cheap fridge, you'll need a 1200-1500 watt inverter to reliably start it. Starting surges are considerably higher than steady state.
you could very well be right.. but this fridge is like uber small.. smaller than an office fridge

and it is rated at 55watts on the purchase website....i mean i know that means OVERALL...

this is from another of your threads, if it isnt your fridge take a picture, not video, and post it. all fridges have it, usually inside someplace. mine is on the left near the front

1714057551008.png

If your fridge pulls 300 watts steady state, and it's a standard compressor based cheap fridge, you'll need a 1200-1500 watt inverter to reliably start it. Starting surges are considerably higher than steady state.
So the advertised 55 watts was bs ??? Damnit china....

How many of them would you have to not smoke so you could buy some decent quality equipment?

I admire your persistence to make what you have work but I really think it's not worth the effort in the long run. The knowledge you are gaining through all of this is invaluable. Once you have a proper system you'll forget about your fags while you sit back and enjoy some air conditioning.

If the forum had a letsfundsolar feature you'd get my vote.
I order my cigarettes online, so I assure you, at 2 pesos a stick, I'm not going bankrupt anytime soon... Not that local cigarettes are pricey to begin with, but regardless, the reason I'm delving into a small system to just power my PC monitor and modem is because I'm so close to China, and if you think china products are bad, imagine how much worse it gets coming to the Philippines...I got a small phone power bank to charge my phone on the go, any logical person knows those don't exceed 20,000 mAh however mine is advertised at 78,000 mAh... Magic 😉

I order my cigarettes online, so I assure you, at 2 pesos a stick, I'm not going bankrupt anytime soon... Not that local cigarettes are pricey to begin with, but regardless, the reason I'm delving into a small system to just power my PC monitor and modem is because I'm so close to China, and if you think china products are bad, imagine how much worse it gets coming to the Philippines...I got a small phone power bank to charge my phone on the go, any logical person knows those don't exceed 20,000 mAh however mine is advertised at 78,000 mAh... Magic 😉
Actually, mAh is a silly metric to use, since Ah is based on voltage, and they rarely provide it in the spec.

Often it is based on the 3.7V cell/pouch
20,000mAh is 20Ah x 3.7V is 74Wh
78Ah would be 288Wh if at same voltage...
A 100Ah 12.8v battery is...

345,945.94594595mAh... so...

You should buy a Victron Mppt and a lithium battery plus new panels. And switch to 48v.

You should buy a Victron Mppt and a lithium battery plus new panels. And switch to 48v.

he is in the Philipines and on a limited budget - read the whole thread. A whole voltage switch and new battery build isn't in the stars.

So the advertised 55 watts was bs ??? Damnit china....
It pulls 230watts running and probably 3~5 times that when the thing cycles the compressor.

We already decided that in spite of your inverter being marked as 1000w it is more likely 200~300w. So it will never run that fridge empty or full.

So stick to the computer for now.

he is in the Philipines and on a limited budget - read the whole thread. A whole voltage switch and new battery build isn't in the stars.

It pulls 230watts running and probably 3~5 times that when the thing cycles the compressor.

We already decided that in spite of your inverter being marked as 1000w it is more likely 200~300w. So it will never run that fridge empty or full.

So stick to the computer for now.
Thank you yes, computer monitor for now which should only be 150 watts, might as well get 1 electronic off my electric bill... Btw, wanted to ask are bigger solar panels more effective ?? I found 1 in a store nearby.. storekeep sais it is 320 watts but it is ginormeous...

Attachments

• IMG_20240422_100334_944.jpg
    IMG_20240422_100334_944.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 5
Thank you yes, computer monitor for now which should only be 150 watts, might as well get 1 electronic off my electric bill... Btw, wanted to ask are bigger solar panels more effective ?? I found 1 in a store nearby.. storekeep sais it is 320 watts but it is ginormeous...

They are newer tech generally and so are more efficient, BUT not everyone has the need to use the latest or the most efficent.

If that panel is 320w for real it would be something like 1170 x 705 x 35mm --- 46inches x 27inches x 1.5inches

This is why we originally doubted your label on the back of the panel.

(Not that I smoke.)

OK, what's the electric rate in Montreal?

In Oakland, I pay $0.60/kWh

For 320W (used) I've paid $90.
More recently, 370W (new) for $70

Ginormous is how you get watts. Figure 200W/m^2 for newer panels.
The ones I got 20 years ago were 130W/m^2

Last edited:
For $320W (used) I've paid $90.
More recently, 370W (new) for $70

Ginormous is how you get watts. Figure 200W/m^2 for newer panels.
The ones I got 20 years ago were 130W/m^2

where did you get $70 new? was that a pallet price?

Back