diy solar

diy solar

few questions about solar power....

That is another PWM controller. It will work, but it will not support anything but the 18v panels. Certainly not what I would have done. And, since it is deliberatly mis-marked as a MPPT I certainly would not trust any amperage rating on it.

If you can cancel the order or have not yet placed the order, please do yourself a favor and order what I linked in the 40amp version.

It does NOT exceed 12v.

You should be running out of toes by now. Shooting yourself in the foot to save a buck and buying junk.

Save up and buy something that works right the first time and is expandable for the future.

Another option would be this - it would replace the inverter and PWM you currently run. You can parallel your current battery with another identical.

dunno how to say this but the one you linked is fake too, i looked at the reviews.. and it is half the size you think it is...ive been here long enough to catch onto these Chinese scams.. they are comedic at best...

But wouldn't this actually save you money in the long run to spend more on the things you enjoy? Just don't use to much of one before the other...
are you trying to steal my poutine ??? you obviously dont watch GSP in UFC...nobody touches our poutine....... Usa tried once 200 years ago and they are still traumatized

Last edited:
i loooked it up and all i see is a city in Iowa
Try this

Your PWM will handle your 3 largest panles at once.

The smaller panels I am saying to sell are so small any output they will cause you issues if you try to use them. If you choose to hook thrm up against advice you are on your own with them.

this is how they should be.

wires from three biggest panels all hooked to the PWM.

on the output from the positive post of the battery a fuse

on the other end of the fuse has the inverter and the positve out from the PWM.

negative of the battery has the inverter and the negative from the PWM

once you have it hooked up take a picture of the front of the PWM and post it. not a video, just a clear picture. see that all 3 large panels are in full sun.

once you have that posted we are done until you save up 25000p to 30000p and find a local solar shop so you dont get ripped off again

View attachment 210473
FYI fuse received and installed.. thank you for helping me take this percaution...

Try this

i never used alibaba but apperantly i need to order 2 minimum.. and price is over 100$cad....

got the 2nd battery and linked it to the other battery using 6 gauge wire... i calcullated 200 watts max going between the 2 batteries but i forgot to factor in the power flowing between the 2 to even out.. but one was at 12.8v and the other at 12.94v.. so.. eveverything seems okay.. nothing is hot to the touch except the inverter some of you have winessed the previous setup so you all know it is a mess of wires.....at this moment only the pc tower is connected to the inverter.. battery voltage dropped from 12.8 to 12.7v... nothing alarming just yet....im beginning to suspect that some of you were correct that each solar panel is only outputting 50watts each... regardless i should still be in the green if im only pulling 100-120 watts for the tower alone.... everything going INTO the batteries is pos on battery 1 and neg of battery 2....everything going OUT is connected to those exact terminals....

wow.. do i qualify to be an electrical engineer yet ?? kidding naturally but i feel quite successful here....

no answer so i will just keep updating for bits and giggles... i am somewhat uncomfortable with the 6 gauge cable linking the batteries.. so i ordered 1/0 gauge so that i can sleep better...

no answer so i will just keep updating for bits and giggles... i am somewhat uncomfortable with the 6 gauge cable linking the batteries.. so i ordered 1/0 gauge so that i can sleep better...

Bigger wire is better, buy some with lugs already on them.

okay.. so here is what i am planning to do.. so bear (bare?) with me.. i ordered a "smart" charger.. i will plug this into my 2 batteries(power bank) at night.. pump it full of happy watts.. unplug when i wake up.. and connect that to the mppt to the same 2 batteries.. so i will my use 3 electronics (pc monitor, modem) on the same power bank.. .. and whatever the solar panels actually get.. i kinda use..kinda made my own UPS... this way.. the power bank wont have 2 separate power sources at the same time... AND.. i built in a cut of switch on negative side from mppt to power bank to break the solar charging circuit to safely plug in the smart charger...im no elon musk or Stephen Hawking.. but i SHOULD get 10 hours of use out of this during the daytime... and yes i used billionaire genius Elon Musk first, he is after all half Cannuck...

quick question though.. for my occasional insomnia nights.. can i use my crappy inverter with the power bank while the "smart" charger is charging the power bank ?

AND additional percaution, i ordered a table fan.. with dc clamps to blow on anything that gets too hot.. like the inverter for example.. i did mention that my inverter that has 1000 watts on it and mandarin written on it gets super hot when ONLY the computer tower is plugged in...

by the way.. i did get a clamp meter to masure the flow of watts from mppt to battery, i simply dont know how to use it... o have 2A on top.. and 20A.. but when i switch to that the screen says AC.. which i think means alternating current.. i tried putting any cable inside the circle of the clamp.. but no reading... am i doing something wrong ???438245726_396484970029138_6626933820059617014_n.jpg

Last edited:
so as it stands my only option is to work with i know already works...... i have 2 inverters.. 1 is 300 watts.. scary chernobyl looking thing... the other is 1000.. BOTH.. will not keep my 23 inch lcd monitor on(brand name chiworld).. so ill just coonnect my power bank to the ups.. i figure.. if it i plug it into my gigantic 2x 12v 50ah battery bank while it is fully charged.. the charging portion of the ups will not be overtaxed... and it will function as always.. i will draw 200 watts and the ups inverter will provide 200 watts.. no different than it is doing at this very moment... and if i have a power outage.. i will just unhook the ups from the grid and charge it with the rapid "smart" charger that is on its way here... and somehow i will impliment my solar system to this power bank and save money on my electric bill
i mean i COULD just order a beefier bigger inverter.. but .. im poor as F***

friday night.. 2351.. discovered a magical fluid called gin, i suspect that i am intoxicated so i will keep my Quebec yap shut or risk offending the republicans.. or the umm liberals ???
that is all bonne nuit, and goodnight..

but to RE-explain myself, i want to replace the 12v 7ah battery with my power bank which is 2x 12v 50ah batteries.. and there IS a rapid "smart charger on its way to yours truly... AND a 1/0 gauge cable to solidify the parallel link with something "buick strong"... and should there be a power outage.. i will just unplug the ups from the wall and safely charge the 2 parallel linked batteries with this cool looking smart charger.. if any of you super smart nerds see any issues with this.. im all ears.. the solar panel integration into this can wait for a later date.. im sure with diodes it can be done... i will stop here before i confess my addiction to Celine Dion... goodnight.. take care and FFS dont eat spam...

Last edited:
Connect the charger with lugs to the inverter. Connect the power plug from that to a plugin wall timer set to run only at night. Leave the mppt Connected. This way you will charge from mppt in the day and charger at night.

No fuss no muss.

Connect the charger with lugs to the inverter. Connect the power plug from that to a plugin wall timer set to run only at night. Leave the mppt Connected. This way you will charge from mppt in the day and charger at night.

No fuss no muss.
pardon ??? im sorry, i dont follow.. the rapid charger is only to safely top up my power bank without taxing the charging portion of my ups... both my dc to ac inberters fail to turn on my lcd monitor so i am forced to use my ups in the end...

Back