diy solar

diy solar

Finally found a UL9540 DC ESS - SimpliPHI 6.6

zanydroid

Solar Wizard
Every couple of months I do another round of Googling to see what the progress is on UL9540 Edition 3. I finally found a 48V DC ESS:

Haven't had a chance yet to look through the manuals / listing certificate. Here is a screenshot of the press release. (Hot off the press - less than 2 weeks old)

1715460942965.png/

Last edited:
This is an interesting battery. It will give HomeGrid competition. I don't know what other inverters it may be compatible with. The literature says No Dip Switches. And yes, it's interesting to see a battery listed to UL9540 3rd edition.

Pytes is also introducing a stackable battery. I don't know what edition of UL9540.

This is an interesting battery. It will give HomeGrid competition. I don't know what other inverters it may be compatible with. The literature says No Dip Switches. And yes, it's interesting to see a battery listed to UL9540 3rd edition.

Pytes is also introducing a stackable battery. I don't know what edition of UL9540.
DC ESS is supposed to allow it to be used with inverters that weren't explicitly listed with it, as long as the installation instructions are compatible.

I don't see a manual yet on their website.

It's still early days of DC ESS, so I'm hoping there are some people willing to get the experience and report back.

I think there are a few AC ESS batteries listed to UL9540 3rd edition.

Last edited:
Edition 3 is the latest one. Apart from cleanup it added DC ESS. See couple posts above for why DC ESS is theoretically good (basically much more flexibility in mixing and matching inverters and batteries while retaining UL9540 certification for the system as a whole). An AC ESS listing is for the combination of inverter and battery, IE both are required to be tested together.

That said this battery costs 2x more per kWh than a 14kWh wall battery and a little under 2x more than a 5kWh rack mount. So suppose you went for this 6.6kWh instead of a EG4 rack mount because you didn’t think EG4 would be around to provide a compatible UL9540 inverter in the future to go with the battery. That would be a questionable financial investment since you could just junk the server rack battery if that happens and buy a new one for the same cost

Early April, I had 4 Pytes V5 batteries installed in their outside cabinet. That's about $8500. Three Simpliph 6.6 with base and controller is only slightly more. The solar installer I contracted with is a Briggs and Stratton dealer. I'm sure he would have proposed the 6.6 if it was available at that time.

Early April, I had 4 Pytes V5 batteries installed in their outside cabinet. That's about $8500. Three Simpliph 6.6 with base and controller is only slightly more. The solar installer I contracted with is a Briggs and Stratton dealer. I'm sure he would have proposed the 6.6 if it was available at that time.
Makes sense to compare this battery against others in the same segment, which I was not doing necessarily.

Though aren’t Pytes just slightly dressed up server rack batteries, that happen to be UL9540 tested with SolArks?

Makes sense to compare this battery against others in the same segment, which I was not doing necessarily.

Though aren’t Pytes just slightly dressed up server rack batteries, that happen to be UL9540 tested with SolArks?
Yup, they are server rack batteries. I chose them because they had UL9540 with Sol-Ark.

Simpliphi posted a video introduction to the new 6.6 battery:

https://youtu.be/JHeNpSzSKG4
I've watched two webinars on this battery. I'm not sure if it was this video, but one of them described a gateway that is required for BMS updates. It's about $1,000. :rolleyes: That makes this battery uncompetitive with Pytes. The Pytes V5 battery has a $37 Wi-Fi dongle.

Pytes is also introducing a stackable battery, but I don't know how it will compare $$$.

Back