diy solar

diy solar

Generator/Inverter Deal: Champion 6250 240v

ChrisG

Solar Addict
Got a hell of a deal on Amazon last night. New inverter generator for $267.00. Any recommendations on a propane kit for this?

IMG_9057.jpeg

How did you get it this cheap? It's listed for $955 on Amazon.
I've been looking for one and I randomly looked at the Amazon champion store last night it had a HUGE discount...didn't hesitate and bought it. Smoking deal. They had the 8750 inverter for $499 I think.

Last edited:
Funny you should ask. I posted a YT video comparing 2 different Nat Gas conversion kits. Hope it helps.

@BentleyJ Thanks for the video. Very informative. Seems like motor snorkel for the WIN. Do you happen to have the link to the kit you ordered? I"m looking for propane which would also include the regulator for tank.

Ordered it directly from the company.

Nash was from ebay
Based on your video I'm going to definitely buy the motor snorkel. I can't find the 6250 generator in the list under either Champion listing. Going to give them a call.

@BentleyJ received 100519 generator and it’s awesome. Killer deal, surprised it actually showed up from Amazon for that price. Trying to make floating neutral but after removing the control panel it looks completely different from the videos on champions site for this model. There is no screw behind panel where neutral and ground are screwed together like in video. Any thoughts. The below screenshot is from champions video.

Update: Resolved. The G/N bond is in the center of the control panel, not the end like the video and picture. Ready for Transfer Switch or inverter hook up.
IMG_4284.png

Last edited:
Funny you should ask. I posted a YT video comparing 2 different Nat Gas conversion kits. Hope it helps.

@BentleyJ got the motor snorkel on and at 6.5 turns out on the load regulator damn thing ran like a champ on eco, high idle and under 3000w (all I could do at the moment).
Need to still mount the demand regulator.

Question: I reused the metal/rubber gasket between the carb and snokel. No gasket came with kit. Want to confirm that is correct. Without it I could not get the choke to close enough for gas start/run.

IMG_4392.jpegIMG_4391.jpeg

Ya, the choke is a bit of an issue with the snorkel which is another reason I just left the Nash device installed. To be fair to the Motor Snorkel, it is rubber and the choke can be closed enough so that cold starts with gasoline are possible. At least in So. Cal. where it doesn't get that cold. I wonder though if the rubber on the snorkel will get stiff over time and impair choke function even more.
Honestly, I don't remember if I tried the snorkel with the factory gasket, I'm thinking no. Just forced the choke closed as far as possible without using too much force and the gen did start with gasoline.

Good job, you got it running on propane.

Ya, the choke is a bit of an issue with the snorkel which is another reason I just left the Nash device installed. To be fair to the Motor Snorkel, it is rubber and the choke can be closed enough so that cold starts with gasoline are possible. At least in So. Cal. where it doesn't get that cold. I wonder though if the rubber on the snorkel will get stiff over time and impair choke function even more.
Honestly, I don't remember if I tried the snorkel with the factory gasket, I'm thinking no. Just forced the choke closed as far as possible without using too much force and the gen did start with gasoline.

Good job, you got it running on propane.
Thanks for your video and feedback. I’m just going to leave that stock metal gasket and let it ride. I just messed with it again. Without the stock, the snorkel seems to go too deep in and the hard plastic part touches the choke plate. Think the stock gasket pulls snorkel back enough where it can collapse as intended.

Nashfuel is who I went with on my pulsar generator. It already ran on gas or propane when I bought it but I needed to be able to run it on natural gas.

I went with this kit :

Nashfuel is who I went with on my pulsar generator. It already ran on gas or propane when I bought it but I needed to be able to run it on natural gas.

I went with this kit :

Yeah the new champion inverter generator deal I got for 267 was only gas. Now I can run tri-fuel but most important for me is propane.

Testing this on propane since we finally have nice weather in NC. Just charged my batteries at 3kw (60% load) for one hour on propane and it used 2 lbs of propane. So in theory I should be able to get 8 hrs run time on a 20lb tank, assuming 16lbs of propane based on 80% fill which means 24kw out of one tank. Please check my math.
20lb tank X 80% fill = 16lbs of propane.
1hr run at 3kw = 2lbs per hr
16lbs / 2lbs per hour = 8 hrs run time
8 hours run X 3kw/hr = 24kwh out of a tank

Just charged my batteries at 3kw (60% load) for one hour on propane and it used 2 lbs of propane
1 lb of propane = 6.34 kWht. 2 lbs = 12.7 kWht. 3kWhe / 12.7 = 23.6% efficiency. Seems pretty good, almost too good. I though LPG fueled power generators were 11% efficient.

1 lb of propane = 6.34 kWht. 2 lbs = 12.7 kWht. 3kWhe / 12.7 = 23.6% efficiency. Seems pretty good, almost too good. I though LPG fueled power generators were 11% efficient.
I'll reproduce this at least 2 more times to verify my results but pretty happy with the motor snorkel kit in this cheap champion so far.

Back