diy solar

diy solar

got fined 1k for an off-grid, 500 dollar, 9 panel system i lay on the roof

Nope, just an assumption. I've done it many times as well.

Agree. If nothing else, it's impossible to argue the arrangement is not "temporary" in nature.
I've seen reference to rooftop solar requiring RSD. I've looked at the code but still wonder about panels mounted on a vertical wall.

A few miles from here a fella mounted panels on the south slope of the roof. Acreage is on the south side of the highway. You can only tell there is an array up there from the conduit running down the north slope. I'll wager there are side doors and that is why it doesn't run down the south slope. I doubt it has any RSD.

I've seen reference to rooftop solar requiring RSD. I've looked at the code but still wonder about panels mounted on a vertical wall.

Rooftop installation requirements are driven largely by firefighter safety. If the code doesn't expressly state otherwise, I would argue a wall mount is a ground mount as it's connected to the ground, and a firefighter can't walk on a wall... yet.

Except that all DC circuits on the house have to comply with voltage requirements.
Wall mount, that would need RSD
Ground mount but inverter on house, a disconnect switch in the right place would take care of it.
I would rather inside metal conduit was another way to comply, but I don't read that.

A few miles from here a fella mounted panels on the south slope of the roof. Acreage is on the south side of the highway. You can only tell there is an array up there from the conduit running down the north slope. I'll wager there are side doors and that is why it doesn't run down the south slope. I doubt it has any RSD.
I have a feeling the "vertical wall" would depend on how high up it is on the wall and how angry the inspector is that day.

Just had a solar contractor come to my door asking about my off grid system. He said they did a drone inspection of the neighborhood. I told him it was running a small off grid system in my shed powered a 12v light. He was selling lease systems.

Just had a solar contractor come to my door asking about my off grid system. He said they did a drone inspection of the neighborhood. I told him it was running a small off grid system in my shed powered a 12v light. He was selling lease systems.
Did he have a permit and flight plan for that drone inspection? The FAA gets really mad about those things.

Did he have a permit and flight plan for that drone inspection? The FAA gets really mad about those things.
Likely they had a part 107 pilot do it. He was telling me how they sold a 9kw power plan system to some elderly people to knock off $50 from their bill a month. He told me give me $250 to get a neighbor to buy solar from him. I told him I always tell people to get 3 bids never from a door to door salesmen. Later I saw him in a Tesla model S and his friend was driving a newer Charger with pipes on it. I shouldn’t have talked to him at all couldn’t help myself they are so scummy.

Likely they had a part 107 pilot do it. He was telling me how they sold a 9kw power plan system to some elderly people to knock off $50 from their bill a month. He told me give me $250 to get a neighbor to buy solar from him. I told him I always tell people to get 3 bids never from a door to door salesmen. Later I saw him in a Tesla model S and his friend was driving a newer Charger with pipes on it. I shouldn’t have talked to him at all couldn’t help myself they are so scummy.
Not often, but sometimes I like playing along with these door to door salesmen/women...like bible thumpers at your door...

Hi everyone, I recently got dinged a 1000usd fine for what I believe to be a no-mount, off-grid system I put up a few weeks ago.

I bought 10x used 250 watt trina panels off facebook marketplace for 50 dollars each, and got a 5k growatt off-grid inverter and hooked it up to exclusively power my outdoor AC unit. I decided to be ambitious and throw them up on the roof, and planned to remove them before the rainy/windy season when it cools down. (I also added some spacers so theres a 1-inch gap above the roof, this is not in the photo attached)

maybe I was incredibly unlucky, but within 2 weeks the neighbor on my back side that is in view on the roof happened to have solar installers over on their roof, and I saw one of the guys take a picture. a few weeks later a "code enforcer" showed up and they fined me 1000 usd for an unpermitted solar install.

I happily removed the panels from the roof, restored everything and paid the fine, but I can now confirm the "no-mount, off-grid = no permit" is totally up to the inspector here in san jose, california. I dont plan to try and fight it, but the violation states that it was an "unpermitted solar install, installed on the roof, and hooked up to house electrical system".

I definitely dont want to fight the inspectors, since they are the ones that have the final say, but I do wonder if it was a correct interpretation of the code.
I'm in San Diego county. I have 2 permitted solar systems. One is grid tied and signed off by the utility. The second is off grid. The off-grid system required the same planning, inspecting, permitting and approvals as the grid tied system, the only exception being that the utility company was not involved in the project.

Also, question: I know San Jose property values are even higher than in San Diego. So why not just have some plans drawn, pull the permit, install the system yourself, have it inspected and run with the 30% Federal tax credit?

NFPA NEC 2017+ requires panel mounted on a roof to have module level disconnects, i.e., a disconnect at every panel. This is for the protection of fire fighters engaging in roof operations. Your panels, while not permanently mounted, were still present and represented a potential high voltage hazard for firefighters. Not allowed.

Presumably the "Module level disconnect" is either the built-in MC4 connectors (which can be disconnected at the panel level) and/or a PV disconnect box outside the house before the PV wires get inside the house??? or a PV disconnect box next to the array on the roof???

Presumably the "Module level disconnect" is either the built-in MC4 connectors (which can be disconnected at the panel level) and/or a PV disconnect box outside the house before the PV wires get inside the house??? or a PV disconnect box next to the array on the roof???

Nope. It has to be automatic and per module. Basically, you must have either micro-inverters that shut down each panel automatically, or a shutdown box that isolates the panel when the master PV disconnect is cut off.

Some models of Tigo optimizers add shutdown function. Costs about $50/panel.

This unit looks like it can handle 2S 60 cell panels:

Hi everyone, I recently got dinged a 1000usd fine for what I believe to be a no-mount, off-grid system I put up a few weeks ago.

I bought 10x used 250 watt trina panels off facebook marketplace for 50 dollars each, and got a 5k growatt off-grid inverter and hooked it up to exclusively power my outdoor AC unit. I decided to be ambitious and throw them up on the roof, and planned to remove them before the rainy/windy season when it cools down. (I also added some spacers so theres a 1-inch gap above the roof, this is not in the photo attached)

maybe I was incredibly unlucky, but within 2 weeks the neighbor on my back side that is in view on the roof happened to have solar installers over on their roof, and I saw one of the guys take a picture. a few weeks later a "code enforcer" showed up and they fined me 1000 usd for an unpermitted solar install.

I happily removed the panels from the roof, restored everything and paid the fine, but I can now confirm the "no-mount, off-grid = no permit" is totally up to the inspector here in san jose, california. I dont plan to try and fight it, but the violation states that it was an "unpermitted solar install, installed on the roof, and hooked up to house electrical system".

I definitely dont want to fight the inspectors, since they are the ones that have the final say, but I do wonder if it was a correct interpretation of the code.
Well your first mistake is living in california, the second mistake was moving to the roof (as you mentioned), I would pay fine and leave the panels offline for 2 months. When I felt like the inspector is done with a potential follow up I'd go back to your ground mounts (out of sight), and attach to your system you want to power.

I would also put up a camera and pay attention to anyone entering your property illegally.
I would also make a point to be very very friendly with all your surrounding neighbors.
Being on excellent terms with your neighbors is a MUST if you're doing any unpermitted work.

If it happens again, FOIA your county/state permit office for who cited the violation. Was it spotted by an inspector (accidently?) I doubt it.. Some neighbor thinks panels are tacky and didn't want to see them on your roof, and called... that's 90% of violations, it's a complaint and a follow up.

Be sure to keep that neighbor out of sight of anything you do

I know the weathers nice but Cali sucks bro

freedom is sweet

Good luck buddy,

Nope. It has to be automatic and per module. Basically, you must have either micro-inverters that shut down each panel automatically, or a shutdown box that isolates the panel when the master PV disconnect is cut off.

Some models of Tigo optimizers add shutdown function. Costs about $50/panel.

This unit looks like it can handle 2S 60 cell panels:

Really!?!?!?
$50/panel? That is ... well, ridiculous, insane... I'd have to think of other negative attribute to describe my feelings toward such requirements LOL

BTW: Do you (or anyone reading this) have a link to an online version (or PDF) of the NEC 2017 and/or 2020 ??

Rapid Shutdown Code – Part 2 (Effective after January 1, 2019)

<snip>

What this means to you:

This “inside the array boundary” part is all new and doesn’t resemble the previous requirements. Sub-item 1 requires a UL standard that isn't out yet, and sub-item 3 is intended for BIPV, so we will skip both.

Sub-item 2 is the big one that changes the rooftop solar industry. Simply put, it's limiting the string voltage to 80Vdc. The days of 600V or 1000V strings are over… unless you use optimizers or MLPE that can throttle the voltage down to 80V when rapid shutdown is initiated.

https://www.purepower.com/blog/2017-nec-690.12-rapid-shutdown-important-changes

VERY interesting and clarifying article....
An interesting tidbit for me is the part that says:

"Controlled conductors located inside the boundary or not more than 1 m (3 ft) from the point of penetration of the surface of the building shall be limited to not more than 80 volts ...."

With my lowly 24V system (MPP LV2424), the operating voltage of the inverter is 30-80V and my strings 6 strings are running at just 62V. The interesting part above is the "OR not more than 1m from the point of penetration of the surface of the building... no more than 80V."

Soooooo, if I just enter the building within 3' of my array and I'm compliant (with THAT part of the requirements).... Of course there is the part about getting a permit and be a licensed installer..... what BS! But I can do my part in embracing the safety requirements w/o running to the county for a permit. For the sake of the safety of the firemen... not the county bureaucrats :)

And if you need higher voltage string (or you truly want to be compliant, get a permit and all that), then TIGO now has a 2 panel module that goes (as of Feb 2024) for about $50 on Amazon:

Tigo Energy Tigo TS4-A-2F PV Module-Level Rapid Shutdown for Two Modules
https://www.amazon.com/Tigo-Energy-Module-Level-Shutdown-Modules/dp/B09CN2XL9D

Other useful videos that explain Solar Rapid Shutdown:

@cmarcotte

Select edition and click Select Edition

click "Free Access" button.

Note that the shutdown module you linked (after I linked it :p ) is only good to 80V, so it won't work on anything larger than 60 cell panels, which tend to have 40Voc or less. If you use 72 cell panels, you'd need one per panel.

If shading is an issue, you can also get optimizers combined with rapid shutdown:

Note that the shutdown module you linked (after I linked it :p ) is only good to 80V, so it won't work on anything larger than 60 cell panels, which tend to have 40Voc or less. If you use 72 cell panels, you'd need one per panel.
Ahhh yes, good point.
The module you listed below (which also takes care of shading) seems interesting and the cost is more affordable ($26).
Adding $26/panel is not that big a deal when you install new 400w+ panels.
But when you create a setup with smaller used panels, it makes a big difference.
Fortunately, like I pointed out above, if you use a smaller inverter and stay below 80V, it remains below the threshold requiring those active components.

@cmarcotte
Your missing the point of the NEC. Has it become a money maker for some sure.
It exists to protect you from destroying your property or killing your family!

Partimewages,​

I do appreciate the NEC specifications to help keep us safe.
But not so much the bureaucracy that comes with it.
Basic things like the NEC not being readily available for download in PDF (laws and regulations imposed on the citizenry should always be available for free (and I don't mean their convoluted water marked online copy). The process to obtain a permit and what is expected and required should be made. plain.... not so in most places. And my comment regarding my system running at 60V affording me to bypass some of that tedious and expensive hardware is not bypassing the NEC. It is understanding that there is a way to do something safe which does not require as much overhead.
But your words are not lost. NEC is a good thing.
Bureaucrats at my local city hall.... not so much in its current form :-(

I didn't spot that 80V limit. Oh, the data sheet which says 15A 90V or 25A 80?

I'm not sure why it cares about voltage vs. current, unless it is operating on the hairy edge. Isn't it going to either be open circuit or carrying full current with near zero voltage drop? Plus a small buck converter to power electronics and deliver some 0.6V or 1.0V. Only the transition from carrying current to open circuit should deposit energy in its FET, and that is one time, not periodic like an SMPS.

I also don't understand why a wattage limit, e.g. 700W. The device doesn't process watts, just volts (across its terminals & FET when off) and amps (through a FET turned on hard.)

I've seen a variety of voltages mentioned for various RSD boxes, but I think the "issue" is that they produce about 0.6V or so apiece (to wake up inverter), and code says no two wires can be more than 80V apart. So they have to tell you to limit PV Voc to around 75V. Even if the electronics is good to 90V.

Back