diy solar

diy solar

Growatt MIN11400TL-XH-US without batteries

Solar DYI

Looking at using the Growatt MIN11400TL-XH-US for a grid-tied application, in the US, "without" batteries.
Installing a 43.6kW DC solar array and was planning to use these inverters for a regular grid-tied system with the APSystems RSD'S.
Has anyone had any problems with this inverter? Need to know if this inverter will give me problems in the future?
It is imperative that no issues arise subsequent to completion.

I’ve been using 2 since Spring 2022, no problems whatsoever ever with the inverters. Expect to have to upgrade firmware “out of the box”, but I’ve not had problems with Growatt support for that. The only other issues I had were poor wiring connections- I’m no electrician and not careful enough. I’m not using the RSDs. The first 14 or so months was gridtied then went off grid.

Thanks for the reply.
I've been using the SPF5000 inverters for about a year now.

I'm designing a 43.6kw system and wanted to use four 11.4kw hybrid inverters for a standard grid-tied system without any batteries, or optimizers.
The array consists of 80, 545-watt bifacial panels, all on the same plane and facing true south.
I could get away with using only three inverters, but didn't want any clipping during peak production.
The RSD's are only for first responders in need to safely shut down the roof-mounted array.

Not too many, trustworthy brands to choose from for this application.

Thanks for the reply.
I've been using the SPF5000 inverters for about a year now.

I'm designing a 43.6kw system and wanted to use four 11.4kw hybrid inverters for a standard grid-tied system without any batteries, or optimizers.
The array consists of 80, 545-watt bifacial panels, all on the same plane and facing true south.
I could get away with using only three inverters, but didn't want any clipping during peak production.
The RSD's are only for first responders in need to safely shut down the roof-mounted array.

Not too many, trustworthy brands to choose from for this application.
How much power would you lose power use from clipping? Would the 4th growatt pay for itself in captured power?

I am about to install an 11.4kw and if I go from 11.2kw to 16.7 I only lose about 300kwh a year, about $36 a year

The 11.4 efficiency is around 98%.
With the inverter MPPT clipping at 0.0%, because I'm only pumping in about 95% of the inverter rating of 11.4kw AC, not counting efficiency losses from the DC, the inverter will produce all available production at peak day.
If I were to oversize the DC against the inverter size, the inverter MPPT would clip the excess power and the inverter would invert the maximum
power it was designed for.

11,400 watts AC out, 22,800 watts DC in (max). 2 to 1,
The 11.4 can be installed with two times the DC input (22,800 watts max) but is only rated for 11,400 watts AC, thus clipping about half of the DC fed into it. Something like feeding more gas to a motor than it can use. Might as well pour it on the ground.

For the affordable price of the Growatt, I prefer to offer my customers the ability to convert all their solar energy into usable energy without wasting any excess DC power (clipping).

I don't claim to be an expert, My own theory.

The 11.4 efficiency is around 98%.
With the inverter MPPT clipping at 0.0%, because I'm only pumping in about 95% of the inverter rating of 11.4kw AC, not counting efficiency losses from the DC, the inverter will produce all available production at peak day.
If I were to oversize the DC against the inverter size, the inverter MPPT would clip the excess power and the inverter would invert the maximum
power it was designed for.

11,400 watts AC out, 22,800 watts DC in (max). 2 to 1,
The 11.4 can be installed with two times the DC input (22,800 watts max) but is only rated for 11,400 watts AC, thus clipping about half of the DC fed into it. Something like feeding more gas to a motor than it can use. Might as well pour it on the ground.

For the affordable price of the Growatt, I prefer to offer my customers the ability to convert all their solar energy into usable energy without wasting any excess DC power (clipping).

I don't claim to be an expert, My own theory.
I don't know where you live and they had to be factored in. I'm my area of North Texas, Putting 14.5kw pv on an 11.4kw inverter (43.6kw into 3 inverters) results in a loss of only 11kwh per year! That's only a 1.27 ratio. This is per pvwatts.

Another benefit is it’s an installed spare. That’s the primary reason I’m using two, I almost never actually need both. Also have a spare in the box, it was installed for a period to make sure it works then back in box. Spare auto transformer too. If something fails want to be quickly back up.

I would buy it from a company that has good support. Just bought this Growatt 7.6 xh-US grid tie and it says it factory defaults is IEEE1547-240, glad I checked it because the value are way off.

Attachments

• IMG_4289.png
    IMG_4289.png
    60.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4288.png
    IMG_4288.png
    151.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4287.png
    IMG_4287.png
    96.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4286.png
    IMG_4286.png
    108.9 KB · Views: 14
I would buy it from a company that has good support. Just bought this Growatt 7.6 xh-US grid tie and it says it factory defaults is IEEE1547-240, glad I checked it because the value are way off.
Where are those settings from? The app?

Yeah under grid code, I tried to do a firmware update, but can’t figure out how to do that. If you have the correct values can you please post them.

I have Schneider electric 6048, sma sonny boy grid tie, and EG4 18Kpv. And I have found that The Growatt is the most difficult to find information for.

Yeah under grid code, I tried to do a firmware update, but can’t figure out how to do that. If you have the correct values can you please post them.
Call the support number on the website for firmware upgrade, if needed. I’ve always gotten call back within an hour or so. All of those numbers in your screen captures you can change your self. Of those the only thing I changed was the connection and reconnection time. I left the others alone. Not grid tied anymore so it does not matter. If I were you I would leave everything but the connection times alone, what’s there works and any changes would be for the utility’s benefit, not you, and they would never notice. If anyone sees something contrary to that I’d like to hear explanation.

Did you leave the hz range 40 to 50hz. I am scared I will tear something up doing that.

Ok, looked closer at your screenshots, all your settings are for 50hz, my inverter firmware is shown in the first attachment. Every one of mine I had to have them upgrade firmware before I even got to the point of looking at grid settings.
It Other settings are also attached

Attachments

• IMG_4259.jpeg
    IMG_4259.jpeg
    773.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4265.jpeg
    IMG_4265.jpeg
    825.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4264.jpeg
    IMG_4264.jpeg
    723.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4263.jpeg
    IMG_4263.jpeg
    724.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4262.jpeg
    IMG_4262.jpeg
    740.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4261.jpeg
    IMG_4261.jpeg
    728.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4260.jpeg
    IMG_4260.jpeg
    782.9 KB · Views: 8
Okay I see, thank you so much. Yeah mines ZACA-0008

Last edited:
Please upload screenshot when your firmware is upgraded, would like to be aware if I still have latest
I looked at the online shine server operation and the app. Where is the firmware update section? Thanks

Where is the firmware update section?
You have to call the Growatt tech support line, see link below. The number is there and I’ve typed it also. 1-866-686-0298

I have the files for the version mine are using- but with how quickly things change in this world I’d hesitate to give them to you to use. If you get nowhere with them I will but my experience is if you call them they will get back to you within an hour just be patient with the language barrier (I’ve only spoken to one who was a native English speaker) and they will start from step one and ask a lot of questions- as would I n their shoes.

Back