diy solar

diy solar

Growatt MIN11400TL-XH-US without batteries

They called me back, and said they don’t recommend a firmware update. They told me to go to quick settings and change the grid code. There is no such thing on my app named grid code. He said the supplier or installer needs to update the firmware. I might just give this away to a friend. Lol

Yes, it appears to have disappeared from the phone app as well as the website, the only way I see is changing each individual parameter- not good. Suggest calling them back and don’t let them off till they fix it.

Yes, it appears to have disappeared from the phone app as well as the website, the only way I see is changing each individual parameter- not good. Suggest calling them back and don’t let them off till they fix it.
MajicDiver what are your thoughts on this? SS wants me to call Growatt back and force their hand on doing a firmware update. Growatt said that I needed the AC and solar power on when the update happened. My concerns are that if I don’t manually change the settings the dirty power will go into my $5400 18Kpv and burn it up. Growatt is AC coupled. What do you think? Maybe I could hook the Growatt up to an old generator I have for power, but that might turn out nasty also. Lol

MajicDiver what are your thoughts on this? SS wants me to call Growatt back and force their hand on doing a firmware update. Growatt said that I needed the AC and solar power on when the update happened. My concerns are that if I don’t manually change the settings the dirty power will go into my $5400 18Kpv and burn it up. Growatt is AC coupled. What do you think? Maybe I could hook the Growatt up to an old generator I have for power, but that might turn out nasty also. Lol
Can you temporarily uncouple the growatt and have it tied directly to grid?

Has the growatt ever been directly connected to the grid? If so it should have noticed the 60hz signal and switched to that

First, you have never indicated what version firmware you have. Just because I had to have all of mine upgraded out of box does not mean you will have to. All of my upgrades occurred with ac and PV connected and lots of errors. If you have a way to connect to grid separate from other inverters that would seem best. If power meter is disconnected there should be no export, but with your settings the inverter should not sync anyway, your settings would seem to prevent operating at 60 hz so it will never match frequency and shut its output breaker, but I expect it will draw power from grid to power itself. Remember, the inverter will power itself from grid connection reguardless of wether it’s output breaker is shut - you can’t see those circuits and of course no manufacturer gives us those types of drawings.

I would follow Growatt’s instructions makes sure to explain the setup to them each step of the way. As best I can tell you don’t know if you have latest firmware or not, and if that is needed they’ll sort it out along the way

This is what Marcus from EG4 said, just posting it in case someone has the same issue.

“So I would turn off your load break to the 18k. hook up the growatt power it up and let them do the update. The 18k can do 50 or 60 hz you will not damage it trust me that thing is a tank”

Sorry Solar DYI for interrupting your thread. But I guess this was a real world example of Growatt issues resolved . Thanks to everyone for the reply, Just got off the phone with Growatt, they said it was set to 50hz. So he said he had to go in and turn off the ability for it to produce so it would not hurt anything. Once he got that done he moved to power the unit off Solar power. Then he was able to do a firmware update. He said there is 3 firmware updates in one. Also he said only installers can access the Grid code in quick settings in the app. So it would not hurt for buyers to check these settings before they finalize grid connection. Thanks

That's a massive system. What do you need so much electricity for? Commercial?

Sorry Solar DYI for interrupting your thread. But I guess this was a real world example of Growatt issues resolved . Thanks to everyone for the reply, Just got off the phone with Growatt, they said it was set to 50hz. So he said he had to go in and turn off the ability for it to produce so it would not hurt anything. Once he got that done he moved to power the unit off Solar power. Then he was able to do a firmware update. He said there is 3 firmware updates in one. Also he said only installers can access the Grid code in quick settings in the app. So it would not hurt for buyers to check these settings before they finalize grid connection. Thanks
Ive looked in the app and I don't see where to change the grid code, only individual settings, like 50 different settings that can be changed

I thought about posting the process to open the full app, but I got concerned someone would mess something up. And get mad at me, or worse case hold me liable. There is a few others on the forum that can do it also, maybe they will throw caution to the wind and post it.

I thought about posting the process to open the full app, but I got concerned someone would mess something up. And get mad at me, or worse case hold me liable. There is a few others on the forum that can do it also, maybe they will throw caution to the wind and post it.

Do you mean shinetools? Or something else?

Do you mean shinetools? Or something else?
There is a higher level installer version of the app. It lets you change the grid code and some other things. You can sign up for an installer account- it’s easy, BYK2003 showed me how, I am traveling and don’t have the instructions handy.

I suggest you go ahead and tell him privately BYK - there is not really anything you can break. Or he can just call Growatt tech support. It is true that someone who does not understand frequency interaction between a small source and the grid could mess up, but worse case they just get their inverter set where it won’t stay sync’s or feeds the grid and costs them some $. Can’t really break anything unless repeatedly trip hundreds of times.

Back