diy solar

diy solar

Half price electric cars

What doesn't make sense is the EV is a lot more simple to build and should be cheaper than it's ICE counterpart.
The battery is a major cost component. A declining cost but a significant factor.

Get an F150!
In Australia we have imported the magna vehiculum virus from America. Yes they have their legitimate use case but 90% of those sold here are propping up egos, not building materials.

The battery is a major cost component. A declining cost but a significant factor.

In Australia we have imported the vehiculum magna virus from America. Yes they have their legitimate use case but 90% of those sold here are propping up egos, not building materials.
yea that's the same here. 75% of truck owners tow once or less per year

It was on purpose to make it look like they were innovating knowing they'd be rejected. Resubmitting the same thing over and over.
well so you were told at least, but yea that doesn't surprise me. I'm sure that isn't that rare for companies to do.

Wait till the EV owners start getting a little letter from the IRS and the state wanting to know the mileage on the car or the KWH charge history on it so that you can pay a tax to help take care of the roads.
No waiting for me. In California I already pay an extra fee of a couple of hundred dollars.

No waiting for me. In California I already pay an extra fee of a couple of hundred dollars.
I'm sure if and when all ICE vehicles are gone, then the tax will just keep climbing. Probably be a few thousand per electric vehicle by then, or they will just throw in a few grand of "future road use tax" on the purchase price in the future. Govt never met a tax they didn't like.:)

Also, what happens with the roads once all the ICE vehicles are dead and gone? The fuel tax is what funds most highway infrastructure. Wait till the EV owners start getting a little letter from the IRS and the state wanting to know the mileage on the car or the KWH charge history on it so that you can pay a tax to help take care of the roads.
Don't know about there but road construction and maintenance spend here is not covered by nor tied to fuel excise. Fuel excise just adds to the consolidated revenue of governments which then decide fund allocations.

One state here (Victoria) tried to bring in an EV usage charge and it was thrown out by the High Court last year as it breached the State's constitutional powers for levying taxes. They had to refund all monies collected. Other states then abandoned plans to introduce the same.

I guess we'll just need to manage with lower levels of respiratory disease levels in our cities reducing health costs instead.

Heck by the time the entire country is using EVs the govt will decide that the batteries are so hazardous that we don't know what to do with all the waste. Then they will say we need a Hydrogen powered car, but then wait that produces way too much H2O on the road and that leaked into the ditch endangering some lizard. Ha...can't win!!

Oh for sure it won't be for everyone, and no one is forcing anyone to buy one. ICEVs will be around for decades.

At the moment I would not recommend an EV to my brother due to his vehicle use case. That will probably change in a couple of years but not right now. He got to drive mine and was mightily impressed though.

I'm in rural Australia and the highway charge network wasn't the best but in the last few months significant improvements have been made, mostly due to more Tesla Supercharger sites opening and allowing non-Teslas to use them. They are the most reliable network here and also have the most charge stations. Charger network density is continually getting better and getting some govt support at Federal and State level. Long highway trips are now little issue.

Most of our driving is either <5 km (local town) or <100 km trips (local regional centre). Every so often a 220 km trip to my brother's place (no issue with a 350+ km range) and one or two 1000 km trips a year. I have no need to tow but I may put a tow bar on for small trailer use to collect garden stuff or a trip to the tip / take mower in for service. Bloody mower uses more fuel than anything now, about $850/year!

But there is so much made up nonsense and falsehoods about EVs it's like playing a game of EV FUD bingo.
This suggests differently

I find that very interesting. I research most everything I get involved in to have a basic understanding of what is and isn't right for me. I don't have to own or have owned an EV to know if it's the right type of vehicle for me. I don't have to experience the negative aspect of an EV to understand those negative aspects.
There's a difference between what I was referring to and doing research and validating the quality of information sources in order to make a sound decision for yourself. I'm talking about those who:
- just parrot nonsense
- tell EV owners they are wrong about their experience

There's a difference between what I was referring to and doing research and validating the quality of information sources in order to make a sound decision for yourself. I'm talking about those who:
- just parrot nonsense
- tell EV owners they are wrong about their experience
Oh, I agree with that. I don't know anything about anyone's experience except what they share.
I believe EVs are right for a lot of people, maybe even me in a few years.

Don't know about there but road construction and maintenance spend here is not covered by nor tied to fuel excise. Fuel excise just adds to the consolidated revenue of governments which then decide fund allocations.

One state here (Victoria) tried to bring in an EV usage charge and it was thrown out by the High Court last year as it breached the State's constitutional powers for levying taxes. They had to refund all monies collected. Other states then abandoned plans to introduce the same.

I guess we'll just need to manage with lower levels of respiratory disease levels in our cities reducing health costs instead.
For texas 2016-2017,
1711671429608.png
Texas has a ton of toll roads, only comparable to the upper east coast

but you are saying cali doesn't pay fuel tax that goes to road? yes it does, like 50% of fuel cost seems to go to roads

Get a used one. And does a person need a v8 pickup just to get groceries? Many v8 vehicles are $80k + anyway.
Not for groceries but great for hauling solar panels and coal from the breaker.

I do really want / need an inexpensive bare bones EV for the simple stuff but I don't ever see myself going without a V8 truck.

Buying a fiskar seems like a terrible idea, fiskar selling off components to the diy crowd to retrofit components seems like a brilliant idea. You could even use your fiskars loppers as a cable cutter in a pinch.

Attachments

• IMG_20221128_125742__01__01.jpg
    IMG_20221128_125742__01__01.jpg
    403.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20230703_202716.jpg
    IMG_20230703_202716.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 7
Not for groceries but great for hauling solar panels and coal from the breaker.

I do really want / need an inexpensive bare bones EV for the simple stuff but I don't ever see myself going without a V8 truck.

Buying a fiskar seems like a terrible idea, fiskar selling off components to the diy crowd to retrofit components seems like a brilliant idea. You could even use your fiskars loppers as a cable cutter in a pinch.
I got a $400 trailer on craigslist to do that hauling

Yep that's what I posted
the 1978 GM and dodges had them (dodge partnered with Mitsubishi)

chevy AND ford came out with them in 1982 so something of those previous years must have gotten people excited and made them push them out a few years later. (no idea what it was like in the car area back then)
I'm sure whoever started first, knew the other one was making them so they started too
The diesel engines of the 1970s were a result of the energy crisis. The government was pushing car manufacturers to reduce fuel consumption because we thought we were going to run out. The manufacturers rushed to make changes to conserve fuel. Some thought that small diesel engines would meet the goals because of improved fuel economy with diesel. The design engineers were not given realistic time for development. The early diesels were very poor and unreliable. They also suffered from a lack of cold starting ability for a variety of reasons, and coincidentally, the winters of 1976-1978 were some of the coldest in modern history for much of North America. At this time consumers did not think much of diesel engines.

I was driving pickups trucks on a farm in 1978. The first diesel pickup truck I was ever around was a Chevy 1500 my friend's dad bought on a neighboring farm around 1983. He got rid of that truck after only a few years. His biggest complaint was the engine. Diesel engines certainly were made in the 1970s, by US auto makers, but there were very few on the road. If I saw a diesel on the road back then it was probably Mercedes Benz. US auto makers just did not get diesels on the road in any meaningful numbers until about a decade later.

The diesel engines of the 1970s were a result of the energy crisis. The government was pushing car manufacturers to reduce fuel consumption because we thought we were going to run out. The manufacturers rushed to make changes to conserve fuel. Some thought that small diesel engines would meet the goals because of improved fuel economy with diesel. The design engineers were not given realistic time for development. The early diesels were very poor and unreliable. They also suffered from a lack of cold starting ability for a variety of reasons, and coincidentally, the winters of 1976-1978 were some of the coldest in modern history for much of North America. At this time consumers did not think much of diesel engines.

I was driving pickups trucks on a farm in 1978. The first diesel pickup truck I was ever around was a Chevy 1500 my friend's dad bought on a neighboring farm around 1983. He got rid of that truck after only a few years. His biggest complaint was the engine. Diesel engines certainly were made in the 1970s, by US auto makers, but there were very few on the road. If I saw a diesel on the road back then it was probably Mercedes Benz. US auto makers just did not get diesels on the road in any meaningful numbers until about a decade later.
Damn I wish that took over. I love the small engine diesel cars..

I can drive from Northern California to LA with one thirty minute stop to charge. I have seen a lot of average looking people at rest stops in no rush to get back in their cars so I don't think there is a simple answer.
Only people I have seen lounging around rest stops are people with Animals, or people that aren’t in a hurry to get anywhere.

What do you consider NorCal?
I’m not talking about driving in California anyway.
Talking about the rest of the country.

Every video shows it takes much longer to do a long trip across country in an EV vs ICE.
Most of the videos I have seen always show them arriving at a charger with 5-20 miles left.
Can you say range anxiety?

For local stuff I’m sure the EV is fine.
Long distance not so much.

Last edited:
Back