diy solar

diy solar

How do wire ratings work? Found hot wires

The first step is torquing properly including hopefully reading up on the nuances of torquing (using a torquing driver is a good start and probably enough, even better to read up on it beyond that. Unfortunately i don't have bibliography ready to go)

Most people use thermal cameras, there are also thermistors on multimeter (dunno how I feel about telling people to stuck those into a live system).

If you have OCPD like breakers in there hopefully the combination of overheat and high current will cause the OCPD to trip. Since the current rating is derated with higher heat. However the heating has to be close to the breaker to get this effect.

NOTE - when retorquing something the proper way to do it is to loosen it off then torque it to the correct value once. You cannot retorque or check by putting the screwdriver or socket on then turning until it hits value. That will over tighten it. This means to do it right you need to shut everything down first or there will be sparks and nasty stuff.

Spent a few years in a calibration lab repairing torque wrenches and pressure gauges.

Last edited:
Your temps aren't that hot though, keep in mind what is hot to our hands is barely warm for most electronics.
I don't have a thermal camera so I use the "touch it method" with my hands. I am not sure how most people without the extra equipment would test for temp, but if you use the proper size wires, make sure the wires are tight and it doesn't feel hot to your hand it should be good.
If there is something else I should be doing please let me know, I'm old but new at this.
Why are you quoting me and saying that? I posted identically the same text a week before you lmao:
Your temps aren't that hot though, keep in mind what is hot to our hands is barely warm for most electronics.
are you replying to it or something? idgi

Why are you quoting me and saying that? I posted identically the same text a week before you lmao:

are you replying to it or something? idgi
Yes, I was referring to your quote, I am new to posting and didn't know how to show your quote at the time. I now know how to reply, but not yet sure how to post in general showing someone else's quote. I apologize for any confusion.

Has anyone suggested checking voltage drop (Vd) across the total system and then each component? That's always my first step. At the max amps of course. Vd x Amps = Watts lost across that connection = Heat

Back