diy solar

diy solar

Inverter to External Socket or ATS?

RichBenn

I have a 2200 watt pure sine wave inverter that I want to hook up to several circuits. Originally I was going to route the output to an ATS. But it’ll be quite a bit of work to route the 120 volt inverter output. So I am looking at wiring a 15 or 20A waterproof receptacle, either through the wall or under the trailer. Then I could just plug it in to the shore power input(with an adapter), turning off the A/C and converter breakers.

So are there any advantages to an ATS vs manual connection? I suppose with an ATS I could make it more foolproof, but…

Ther is no advantage other than ATS is easier and yes, foolproof if wired right. Neither will give you better electricity though.

I have an old-skoo breaker panel that flips generator breaker off when I flip Shore power on, so it is kind of an automatic switch, The shore power is wired to exterior wall male receptacle, and the generator power is literally a female plug that dangles from under the trailer at the tongue that just gets literally plugged into ext cored from generator. Replace the word generator with inverter and you have similar setup.

You could literally run your whole rig using a male electric plug. It either plugs into your inverter or into your shore power wires - foolproof and not too much work. I assume you will not run roof AC or other high-load appliances off this electrical system, otherwise you need to isolate the AC and high-loads away from the inverter system.

Ther is no advantage other than ATS is easier and yes, foolproof if wired right. Neither will give you better electricity though.

I have an old-skoo breaker panel that flips generator breaker off when I flip Shore power on, so it is kind of an automatic switch, The shore power is wired to exterior wall male receptacle, and the generator power is literally a female plug that dangles from under the trailer at the tongue that just gets literally plugged into ext cored from generator. Replace the word generator with inverter and you have similar setup.

You could literally run your whole rig using a male electric plug. It either plugs into your inverter or into your shore power wires - foolproof and not too much work. I assume you will not run roof AC or other high-load appliances off this electrical system, otherwise you need to isolate the AC and high-loads away from the inverter system.
ATS for me means some conduit under the rig with a couple 90 degree bends, and working in a tight, hard to access place near the load center. Way easier to run a socket from the batteries/inverter which are inside on the shore power side of the rig behind a hatch. i’ve already been plugging in by opening the hatch and running a cord out of the hatch to the shore power inlet. But it’s not secure or rain proof, so a place to plug in there would be easy.

I have one of these

socket.png
as the main 120v connection to shore. it is on the side of the camper and any extension cord plugs into it. Is not exactly rain proof, but stay dry enough and millions are in use in all weather. I do not need 30amp connections or anything complicated, just one phase power to run AC unit and other small things inside.
My cord coming out the bottom is not a hatch, it goes through a hole just big enough for the cord to fit through so requires assembling the plug once through. or to cut the female end, poke it through from the outside then hard wire it to your panel or box, or assemble a female plug end on the inside. I then caulk around the hole so it is a snug secure fit. COrd hangs out the bottom so is waterproof when in use and when traveling it tucks up in the storage dry box.
Dont get cord wet, but it happens all the time, the plugs get rained on, wet and do not short out. Keep it off the ground.

Back