diy solar

diy solar

Justifying new tools for the solar Off Gridder.

Mattb4

Solar Wizard
OK, it might not really do anything solar related but I am pleased to announce the arrival of my new Baby Ex. It arrived yesterday afternoon after a short gestation period of less than a week. Weighing in a 2200#s (1000kg) and healthy from the look of things. I hope if I feed and care for it that some day it might grow up into a full size Excavator. Justifying it might be a bit hard until I see what work it can do. But as they say, "What good is a newborn baby?"

What it is a B&S 13.5hp gasoline powered mini excavator with attachments of a hydraulic Thumb and quick connect for buckets and other things. Some photos below.

My first plans for the little thing is to redo my septic field drain lines. The ones I put in 25 years ago are failing as evidenced by the slow draining of things like my shower and clothes washer. So while not PV it definitely is off grid living.

Attachments

• P4110004.JPG
    P4110004.JPG
    283.6 KB · Views: 60
  • P4110002.JPG
    P4110002.JPG
    274.7 KB · Views: 60
  • P4110005.JPG
    P4110005.JPG
    279.6 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Lovely! I could have done with one of those instead of us having to hand-dig our ground mount ducting!

Edited to add: how do those arrows on the track work?

Lovely! I could have done with one of those instead of us having to hand-dig our ground mount ducting!

Edited to add: how do those arrows on the track work?
They point to the front. I guess that helps some one that might not know the push blade is the front. These little ex's like their big relatives having a 360 degree revolving work platform. Just like the boom has a red warning label saying, "Forbid people to be near". Always been my preference in life.

They point to the front. I guess that helps some one that might not know the push blade is the front. These little ex's like their big relatives having a 360 degree revolving work platform. Just like the boom has a red warning label saying, "Forbid people to be near". Always been my preference in life.
Doh! I was having a blonde moment - it looked like they magically changed direction depending which way you are going! When in fact it's you that magically changes direction and the arrows stay pointing the same way = need more :coffee:

My neighbor had an excavator for a while. Helped to level an area next to the shed which houses some gardens and will house a couple portable solar carts in the future.

The area was filled with tree roots. He saved my shoulders and weeks of time.

There are benefits of bartering for resources.

Here's a final baby pic. I got the canopy up and hydraulic thumb with hoses mounted. Floor cover installed on deck. Checked all bolts and fluids and it is about ready for its first few steps.

Attachments

• P4120009.JPG
    P4120009.JPG
    273.5 KB · Views: 33
Here's a final baby pic
My wife and I have a running joke about my tractor, dump trailer, pole barn, etc. Property is too small. I was able to get a splitter though after sharing the cost with a neighbor.

Love the photo. Nice looking unit!

A friend of mine bought a cheap generic brand excavator for about $20,000aud. The controls had no feel. It would snap back and forth, it was horrible to operate

1691526910441.png

Reminds me of this, one of which I got while in Japan.
It roars, then egg breaks open and it walks out.
Can't find a video, unfortunately.

1691526942887.png

A friend of mine bought a cheap generic brand excavator for about $20,000aud. The controls had no feel. It would snap back and forth, it was horrible to operate
This cost me $6000 USD pus $420 tax. They shipped it 1600 miles from California (after being imported from China) to me for free. Was pretty amazed to buy it last Thursday and have it show up to my place here Monday. That is from California to NW Arkansas in just a few days.

It is pretty basic machine but a test run of the controls does not seem that it will be impossible to manage. But I have had a fair amount of experience with operating equipment through the years. Due to the simple hydraulics on a unit like this you have to watch when you attempt more than one function at a time because it does not smoothly divide the hydraulic flow. This can lead to being jerky. It is very noticeable for instance when you are shuttling along and release one track control and the resulting high flow to the other track causes a jerk towards it. One thing I would advice anyone running a unit like this is to not run full throttle and to take your time. It is not a production level commercial machine.

Awesome.
I have a subcompact tractor, LS, with a loader, mmm and hoe.
I've been eyeing these mini ex's for a while now. I really think a mini, skid loader and zero turn (I've been keeping my eye open for a ryobi to convert to LiFePo4) would be the best trio... Then I'd need a bigger garage with a steep roof facing S to hold more panels and house the equipment... Yup that's my plan whenever I find land...

Attachments

• IMG_20190914_162223.jpg
    IMG_20190914_162223.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 21
If you run out of projects give me a holler?

Seriously though enjoy your new toy, ahem I mean tool.

My wife is sitting here saying "Its ADORABLE ! It's a baby backhoe !"

The she asked me if that was what ours would have if it had a litter :)

Having a small one sure would be handy since large one I have usually ends up making even the smallest jobs a mess to clean up from.

Though it has its upsides too.

My wife asked me to dig her a garden with it after I first bought it. I was like sure. Thinking I would impress her I got out there and dug a 10 x 20 spot for her to have a garden !

I was so proud. She walked out into the spot to survey my work and sank up to her hips. Apparently your not supposed to dig down 6 foot tilling up a garden spot :) I honestly didn't think it would be a problem. According to her I was sooooooo wrong......

I’m saving up for a Kubota KX057.

I have a 1970s International Backhoe. Probably a sweet unit when it was new. I’ll end up keeping the engine and scrapping the rest (might hook it to a pump for irrigation/fire prevention). Finding any parts is a choose your own adventure as International was split up, resold, split up again. One of the hydraulic filters is unobtanium.

I could put a hoe in my tractor but mounting and dismounting would be work. And not nearly as productive.

Back