diy solar

diy solar

Justifying new tools for the solar Off Gridder.

Sweet!

Have you tried rid-x on the septic?
Rid-X is pretty much snake oil. Adding a few million bacteria to a tank with trillions of bacteria in it is like spitting in the ocean. Typically in the life span of a septic tank and field you need to periodically pump out indigestible solids from the tank to maintain fluid volume level. If they get too high than untreated sewage can enter your drain (leach) field due to lack of space to process stuff. Eventually the solids can get high enough to block effluent flow. I had my tank pumped just 3 years back and the solid level from 22 years was about 1/2 the tank. At that time the tank was inspected and it was in great condition.

Slow draining can occur when the drain field piping gets clogged up by septic overflow and the slow process of roots growing in the pipe as well as soil intrusion. Many places have gone to different drain field designs than the old standby of crushed rock fill and perforated pipe. Earlier requirements always mandated a reserve area set aside to install new drain field if the original failed. For mine to have lasted 25 years is actually pretty good. 15 years is not untypical depending on surrounding vegetation and soil type.

Maybe. I’ve had friends use it and it did the trick. I think it may contain different bacteria. Cheap to find out.

Maybe. I’ve had friends use it and it did the trick. I think it may contain different bacteria. Cheap to find out.
Just a couple of quotes,
"According to the EPA and the Ohio Department of Health, not only are additives like Rid-X not recommended, but they actually have a detrimental and potentially hazardous effect on your septic system's waste treatment process."

"RID-X septic tank treatments are made from bacteria that is said to effectively break down the waste in your tank.
However, studies have shown that RID-X and similar additives are no more effective than the naturally-occurring bacteria in the tank."

-
"We contacted various plumbing and maintenance experts in several different states to find out if professionals would recommend RID-X; none of the experts we spoke to would recommend using it. The experts told us that while it is safe to use and won’t damage your plumbing system, in most cases, the enzymes that naturally occur in the tank are just as effective as long as the system isn’t overloaded. Additives are unnecessary, the plumbing professionals told us."
-https://firstquarterfinance.com/does-rid-x-work/

ETA: Actually there is one time that I have recommended using Rid -X. This is just after a new empty tank and field is put into service. My thoughts on it were it would help get the process started. Entirely a case of it can't hurt.

Last edited:
There is some stuff I bought that is amazing at cleaning out the septic tank, the lines to it and field lines from it. Sad part is I can't remember the name of it. The other bad thing it doesn't work with a city water system since the chlorine kills the critters. I had a bunch from the old house and wanted to use it on the new house but that didn't do so hot.

Suit yourself. I thought the system was going tango uniform anyway.
Sorry. I am not trying to be confrontational to your suggestion. I just know that I have to install new lines and field. As somebody once said, "Stuff wears out".

It is always just a matter of time before all septic tanks and fields need replacement. The folks that leave old failing ones in place contribute to the contaminated ground water problems.

Rid-X is pretty much snake oil. Adding a few million bacteria to a tank with trillions of bacteria in it is like spitting in the ocean. Typically in the life span of a septic tank and field you need to periodically pump out indigestible solids from the tank to maintain fluid volume level. If they get too high than untreated sewage can enter your drain (leach) field due to lack of space to process stuff. Eventually the solids can get high enough to block effluent flow. I had my tank pumped just 3 years back and the solid level from 22 years was about 1/2 the tank. At that time the tank was inspected and it was in great condition.
I just love all the things one learns about on a DIY solar forum ?‍?

Did an exploratory dig to fine the septic effluent piping. Once I did I found a lot of roots growing alongside the lateral line and at the junction of between the tank 's outflow pipe and the second lateral line I found a nice root ball. I imaging that it continues along the lateral line if I was to dig it all up. Which is why a new lines have to be put in. Image of the piece I pulled out of pipe below.

Attachments

• P4130015.JPG
    P4130015.JPG
    275 KB · Views: 20
  • P4130017.JPG
    P4130017.JPG
    663.8 KB · Views: 20
Hows it doing power wise? Is it breaking up the dirt on its own without having to breaker it up with a pick or anything?

Hows it doing power wise? Is it breaking up the dirt on its own without having to breaker it up with a pick or anything?
Also, how is the weight?
I easily easily move my tractor around with the hoe (when I don't want to).
Do you feel it's heavy enough or would more weight make it better?

Power wise it is OK. It does require finesse digging rather than raw power grab and go. The soil here is filled with large rocks and is not easy digging. I don't need to break it up with a ripper as much as it needs to work around those rocks.

My big problem at the moment is getting used to the controls since it has a different pattern than I used for running my last backhoe. My instincts cause me to move the wrong hand when I attempt a pull, curl or raise. It is something that should come with more run time. One comment about teh amchine for anyone thinking about ahving it. It does not come with a hydraulic oil cooler or filter and it does get hot quickly operating it. Several folks that have bought these machines have modded them by adding fans and coolers.

Also, how is the weight?
I easily easily move my tractor around with the hoe (when I don't want to).
Do you feel it's heavy enough or would more weight make it better?
Not bad.The hydraulics are powerful enough to move you about if you push them but I don't feel like it is uncontrollable. As I mentioned earlier it is pretty simple hydraulic pump where you have to basically use one function at a time. Those folks acustomed to running an excavator like a symphony could get discouraged. For me at this point I am in no hurry to get things done. if I spend a week it just gives me things to do.

Not bad.The hydraulics are powerful enough to move you about if you push them but I don't feel like it is uncontrollable. As I mentioned earlier it is pretty simple hydraulic pump where you have to basically use one function at a time. Those folks acustomed to running an excavator like a symphony could get discouraged. For me at this point I am in no hurry to get things done. if I spend a week it just gives me things to do.
I didn't even think about that to start with since I have to deploy the outriggers on mine to make it stay put and I have had it drag them too including having the front bucket pointed down and into the ground. I imagine the narrow buckets helps though. Mine has a 3 foot wide bucket best I remember and grabbing that much and pulling it towards you is a bunch of leverage.

Power wise it is OK. It does require finesse digging rather than raw power grab and go. The soil here is filled with large rocks and is not easy digging. I don't need to break it up with a ripper as much as it needs to work around those rocks.

My big problem at the moment is getting used to the controls since it has a different pattern than I used for running my last backhoe. My instincts cause me to move the wrong hand when I attempt a pull, curl or raise. It is something that should come with more run time. One comment about teh amchine for anyone thinking about ahving it. It does not come with a hydraulic oil cooler or filter and it does get hot quickly operating it. Several folks that have bought these machines have modded them by adding fans and coolers.
Can you redo the control's lines? I know several people I have talked to that were used to different machines re-plumbing the lines to make it behave like they were used to. The one I have was the first one I ever had so no issues for me on that part.

I had no idea that machine was available in that price range.

Do you mind letting us know where you got it?

And any idea what it can lift at the bucket? I’ve tried to find that spec but came up empty.

And any idea what it can lift at the bucket? I’ve tried to find that spec but came up empty.
I was going to ask him about that but I wasn't sure how to ask since the way we test the backhoes around here (they are all front end loader tractors) is to put the front bucket down and start picking up the tractor and then put the backhoe down too.

We rate them on how much "effort" it takes to pickup the tractor itself. What impressed me with my old 580ck is it being able to pick itself completely off the ground like that at idle. None of the new ones around here can do it unless the auto throttle is on.

Kind of hard to test that on the type he has :)

Can you redo the control's lines? I know several people I have talked to that were used to different machines re-plumbing the lines to make it behave like they were used to. The one I have was the first one I ever had so no issues for me on that part.
It is possible. I have a similar issue with my tractors loader and my skid steer with the controls working different. Unfortunately it is not easily fixed with a hose reroute due to the float function of the tractors joy stick. That is a bit harder to adapt to since if I use the one machine more frequently it screws me up on the other. With this new baby ex I can just spend enough time and to get accustomed to it since I am not running another excavator or hoe.

It was listed on Ebay for $6,199 with thumb and quick hitch. (ad now changed to only give quick hitch) But they take offers and I noticed another brand of the same type machine (Agrotk) selling for $5899. Figured I would offer on the Typhon based on the extras and it was accepted. Several of those on Ebay if you give it a look.

I offered the $6000. Here is a link to it. https://www.ebay.com/itm/265913174625

As to what it can lift at the bucket. I have seen various demonstrations of fairly heavy things lifted on review videos on the 'net. I do not know of a rating though.

ETA: Incidentally with this humid weather after a few hours of outdoors work I just had to shower as I was wringing wet. With my effluent pipe now open I noticed the shower drained really good. Looks like once I get the new field in I will have fixed my problem.

Back