diy solar

diy solar

Looking for a replacement BMS for an EG4 LifePower4 48 volt battery

AxH

Can anyone suggest a replacement BMS for a EG4 LifePower4 48 volt battery ?

Ideally it needs to be pin compatible so there is minimal rewiring.
Some decent monitoring / configuring software included with the BMS would be good.
Bluetooth isn't essential, but nice to have

I'm more interested in getting a good quality BMS than trying to save a few dollars.

Thanks
Andy

Load amps?
Good question.
According to the battery documentation the LifePower4 has a max charge / discharge current of 100A and recommended continuous discharge of 30A. I never charge at more than 30A and I would estimate the maximum discharge is never more than 30A also. I have 2 of the packs in parallel so the load is shared.

Thanks.

Are you familiar with the JBD BMS? It will allow 100A and trip somewhere above that. It has a phone app so you can look at it in real time, but not really great for logging.

I'll take a look, thanks.
I can't say I'm familiar with any BMS, having to replace one is a whole new experience for me.
If the JDB is a good quality plug-in replacement I'll probably go for it.

I'll take a look, thanks.
I can't say I'm familiar with any BMS, having to replace one is a whole new experience for me.
If the JDB is a good quality plug-in replacement I'll probably go for it.
I doubt you will find a BMS that you can plug in because of the way the power conductors often attach. Does your current BMS have heavy ring terminals where the power comes to the BMS?

I'll have take the battery out of the rack and open it up. It will probably be this coming weekend, these things are heavy and I need to ask one of my neighbors for assistance.
Anyway thanks for your suggestions, much appreciated.

I've contacted them, Its Signature Solar.
I'm expecting them to say I have to return the battery to get it installed. Warranty repair or not.
Sending it back isn't an option if I have to pay the shipping. I live on an island in the Caribbean and last time I checked it would be at least $1,500 to ship it with Fedex.

I'm expecting them to say I have to return the battery to get it installed. Warranty repair or not.
Sending it back isn't an option if I have to pay the shipping. I live on an island in the Caribbean and last time I checked it would be at least $1,500 to ship it with Fedex.
They are working on sending out a replacement BMS to me for a faulty one in a new Lifepower4 48v 100 amp battery.
I have been told that they will walk you through replacing one.

I recently found a helpful teardown video of this battery which shows the front panel removed and the attached BMS. Replacement may not be that bad.

Thanks for that. I've submitted a fault ticket to Signature Solar and am waiting for a reply.
Who knows, I might get lucky.

Yes. A replacement was shipped out to me free of charge under the warranty.
It's a fairly simple job to install.

I just replaced two BMSs from signaturesolar. It wasn't hard. I bought a static band to make sure I didn't fry anything by touching it.

There is a Mac version, but I'm not aware of an iOS version. The MAC/Windows app is currently so hacktastic I'd be surprised if they could get it into the iOS app store unless the developers suddenly wrote more intuitive and better-designed applications.

Last edited:
Back