diy solar

diy solar

Luyuan battery case

It also should be pretty apparent, not as many companies have Steel Cases for 24V and high quality ones are even tougher.
Juts like PC Cases from days gone by, there are good one, bad ones and everything in between and of course various styles to suit needs/wants.
this answers my question. So it’s the 24v form factor
I like cases in general, the options keep expanding, hence my initial question about this vs others

The case I purchased from Amy was extremely well built and solid. It has a plate that has 9 screws which allow user defined compression to the cells. A very nice feature.

1704286631509.jpeg

When my Luyuan battery boxes came, I assumed it would be simple to put them together!... But with no instructions, I had to trial and error which way round for mounting everything so it would work. I ended up playing hokey cokey with the cells a few times, as I was also trying to see how best to shimmy the epoxy separator panels around.

This might be useful for others looking at the Luyuan 8S boxes, mine were for Gotion 340Ah cells which are fatter than standard 280/304 size, but Amy had the boxes extended to fit them for me:

IMG-20231204-152235-689.jpg

I got the cells in!, Starting to look like batteries. :D

IMG-20231204-192647-376.jpg

I had pretty much put them together before realising the last box had half the cells the wrong way around :oops: lucky no sparks! but it was late and maybe a beer or two had been involved..

IMG-20231205-143309-216.jpg

The JK Bms mounts upside down for access to the connectors

IMG-20231205-162352-127.jpg

The back of the front panel

IMG-20231206-171948-202-1.jpg

Busbars on, and all torqued to 4Nm. With a nifty digital 2-30nm torque wrench adaptor.

IMG-20231205-163137-974.jpg

Balance wires all mounted and cut to length, tested then double checked before plugging in.

IMG-20231205-191529-562.jpg

Not really a compression plate, but it will keep some pressure on the cells and stop them moving or bulging much it I ever over charged them.

IMG-20231206-181321-105.jpg

Coming together, one done next two to do.

IMG-20231206-183333-041.jpg

Bit of spaghetti, and I did ask Amy if she had any other terminal posts they could supply, but she couldn't at the time :( Having said that I was happy they are dual M8 and fit 70mm2 (2/0 AWG) cable lugs

IMG-20231206-202346-957.jpg

Three almost done

IMG-20231207-102857-993.jpg

close up

IMG-20231207-104233-425.jpg

I didn't want the JK screens, as I've connected them all up to my Victron Cerbo for monitoring, and they'll be locked away anyway.

I weighed the finished boxes, 66kg each! Still better than 16S though. Three on the dolly board to get them out the workshop, then my partner helped me get them up the stairs, and into the main battery chest.. This is the house bank on our barge. My arms ached after that moving! I could have craned them out, but that would have been easy.

IMG-20231211-140529-044.jpg

Nice visuals. Thank you for sharing! I am going to craft a mounting plate for my BMS since it will be on a portable build. I will also be keeping my cells upright.

Thanks for weighing yours. There is a bit of weight to these.

1704298699628.jpeg

Last edited:
Another change being done that is going to all Luyuan's cases, is a more "universal" mounting panel to accommodate assorted BMS mounting points. That is an issue that was a PITA.

Sure is nice to see the packs being put together and so nice & tidy to boot.

Mine are similar... The Batt Terminals are M8 Singles, Face cut for JK 4.3" screen, flexible busbars for all...

Just finished another extended chat with Amy so she can finally goto bed... The worst part... been waiting over 6 weeks now (my pause request) and everything get's loaded next week and another 6? weeks to get here... Oi.... Patience Testing !!!

That which is worthwhile, is worth waiting for.

I didn't want a case 2 or 3 years ago when I started buying everything to make batteries. I wanted to see everything and I wanted easy access to everything. But now, I am trying to free up space in my shed. And I want my wife and others to be more comfortable. My batteries will be safer.
I don't need to see everything any more. If I do have a problem the BMS will tell me and I will have to pull out the battery.
This is just another step in the never ending process of setting up my solar system.
I expect to buy more batteries. There is a very good chance I will buy them from Amy.

Here is what I plan to use to stack unstack my batteries.
View attachment 186639

Ohh dude... good luck with that thing mine had a nasty leak the o-ring was undersized I replaced twice and it would just leak the hydraulic ram is not wide enough or the o-ring is undersized ?‍♂️ and finally said screw it. I have Xilin coming in now.

TBH though, for the small amount extra (£264 per box Incl' BMS etc), just having the metal boxes really helps make everything tidy, and hopefully a little safer too. I have loads of birch ply and a workshop, but for the hassle of wooden boxes vs purpose built steel boxes, it just seemed to make more sense buying them.

Those do look mighty tempting, I’ll prob have to go this route when adding onto my 24v system.

Ohh dude... good luck with that thing mine had a nasty leak the o-ring was undersized I replaced twice and it would just leak the hydraulic ram is not wide enough or the o-ring is undersized ?‍♂️ and finally said screw it. I have Xilin coming in now.
Sure gets a lot of good reviews. I can return it if I don't like it.

That Xilin looks cool. Thanks for the idea. I see them used on Ebay for $275
1704310933520.png

I have a long wait for my cases and cells. But other than that, Luyuan's prices seem pretty good to me. Especially since Steve helped Amy streamline the process of ordering good cells, BMSs and now cases and prebuilt batteries. I feel that any extra cost comes with extra value. I probably won't have any problems. If I do have problems, they will be dealt with as promptly as can be expected.

Have been more than satisfied with the service I have received. Amy has gone above and beyond in my book. Just placed another small order and will be ordering some more cases, batteries and BMS supplies in the future.

What comes with these cases? Was pinging with Amy Wan and looks like the 100ah case is $100 without BMS. Have l two packs already running with JBD, soon to be JK BMS I want to put into cases. For this price does it come with master switch, front connectors for battery, etc? I’ll pick up the thread with her next week but this seems like a hell of a deal.

This is what Luyuan Includes with all their steel cases....
Of course below is for 48V/16S box but 24V/8S is the same but with less bits obviously.
You can also choose to have a BMS added in and they will customize the front for the display if you want one. The displays vary between companies.

1704635854040.png

This is what Luyuan Includes with all their steel cases....
Of course below is for 48V/16S box but 24V/8S is the same but with less bits obviously.
You can also choose to have a BMS added in and they will customize the front for the display if you want one. The displays vary between companies.

View attachment 187368
Will pick up conversation with her tonight or tomorrow evening. If this price holds without BMS, this is incredible.

It is awesome that you can customize these things.

The wait is a little tough but it's not the first time I had to wait a couple months for the boat.

It is awesome that you can customize these things.

The wait is a little tough but it's not the first time I had to wait a couple months for the boat.
I’ve had two ‘naked’ 48v packs sitting on a cart for two years, lol. I can wait.

Back