diy solar

diy solar

More Severe Yet to Come... Solar Flares

North America took a Big Hit last Thursday and it affected "some" communications and a few minor electric grid "burps" but nothing severe this time.

Is anyone's solar power system affected by these solar flares?
Not yet, I'm more concerned with CMEs.
My limited understanding is they will have a much greater impact with less chance to prepare.
North America took a Big Hit last Thursday and it affected "some" communications and a few minor electric grid "burps" but nothing severe this time.
Correct.
Reportedly affected communications with aircraft.
Screenshot_20231216-092327.jpg

Coincidentally this happened the same day.
I wonder if any members were impacted.

'SOLAR FLARE AND RADIO BLACKOUT (UPDATED): Sunspot AR3511 erupted on Dec. 8th (2307 UT), producing an M5-class solar flare (movie) and a shortwave radio blackout over the South Pacific ocean' .

Ouch. That is almost the exact time as an unexplained RSD that I have been trying to figure out since. My optimizers reset themselves overnight and no sign of anything out of the ordinary.

Last edited:
So, I signed up for notifications and received this yesterday. I can't interpret the severity of this notice. There's a link to explain the different levels, but I don't see the severity/level called out in this email. Maybe I need to change my subscription. Or maybe I'm a dumb and just don't see it. Can anyone help me understand?

Screenshot_20231216-093542.png

As usual, Anton had a good video on that a few days ago:

From the data linked, seems soil conditions are an important factor - and it looks good where I am :)

'SOLAR FLARE AND RADIO BLACKOUT (UPDATED): Sunspot AR3511 erupted on Dec. 8th (2307 UT), producing an M5-class solar flare (movie) and a shortwave radio blackout over the South Pacific ocean' .

Ouch. That is almost the exact time as an unexplained RSD that I have been trying to figure out since. My optimizers reset themselves overnight and no sign of anything out of the ordinary.
Could very well be, I'm guessing you are up in Scotland somewhere.

Back