diy solar

diy solar

My Solar Shed Construction Starts in a Week

Very smart idea!

I wish I could go back and insulate my house before the drywall. I never considered where heat creeps in at the top of the drywall.

20190905-123836.jpg

I know I'm too late because Will says the shed is being installed as of 10/2 but I wonder if Tuff Shed makes a two story shed that Will could partially bury like a basement. Having the batteries in the ground would be cool in the summer and warm in the winter. I worry that half the electricity produced by the panels will get used up by the heating and a/c. Plus don't know the code restrictions for sheds in Vegas.

Cooling is not that big of an issue to be honest everyone. Just a super cheap walmart air conditioner and problem solved. The temp switch I am using to turn it on has been a pain though. It is 70 sq ft shed. I can easily cool it with the cheapest/smallest ac at walmart. I am not digging holes or doing anything crazy. Too complicated to solve such a simple issue

Oh wow they aren't actually forcing me to. Did I say that somewhere? I figured it would look nice and they would like it. I love having a HOA because all the other neighborhoods without them look horrible. My HOA actually only cares about the front yard aesthetics. I like that. And my HOA is 32 bucks a month. No parking restrictions either. It's great. My neighbors and I install stuff on out backyard all the time. I just had the inspector come by and I talked to him for an hour about all sorts of stuff. I'm fine. As long as I don't do something stupid

Not sure but grandfathered in HOA bylaws it’s written in the fine print all HOAs within a 150 mile radius of Las Vegas Nevada must install at least one operating slot machine in their home.?
BBB2A3D8-B970-48F2-99AE-289738E6C8AE.gif

Cooling is not that big of an issue to be honest everyone. Just a super cheap walmart air conditioner and problem solved. The temp switch I am using to turn it on has been a pain though. It is 70 sq ft shed. I can easily cool it with the cheapest/smallest ac at walmart. I am not digging holes or doing anything crazy. Too complicated to solve such a simple issue

Factor in 8 feet high and you have about 500 cubic feet. A 5000 BTU air conditioner will cool that to where you can keep vegetables in there and they won't spoil. That is about 1/3 the size of an average living room, and a 5000 BTU cools a living room well. My little trailer has AC in it as a STANDARD included item! It's 121 cubic feet and it has a 5000 BTU AC in it. As I am out there working on the trailer I have never had the Ac above 1 or 2!

He's fine for cooling. As smart as this kid is, he knows what he's doing.

William,
You can see how i mounted my panels on my shed with 2x4s and angle irons like a door that can be raised or lowered with a inergy kodiak for a year now with good results, but now I built my own solar generator using a 40amp mppt tracer ,and a xantrex prowatt 2000, and added 2ea. Battle born batteries because i wanted more efficiency and longer battery storage time.

Last edited:
I have some LiFePO4 cells coming in the mail, but man, 2x Tesla modules used with a 48v inverter would be lovely. I may have found a BMS that can manage the job nicely too.

Will, what's your BMS idea? Have you seen this:

The Model S modules have a built in BMS. You just have to talk to it over serial at a weird baud rate to make it work. I think it should work with a $20 Teensy pretty easily, which is my plan. (Not everything will work at that weird baud rate.)

Last edited:
If they are forcing him to paint his shed the same color as his house, they must be major pricks to deal with.
I used to live in an HOA here in the US. That's what you deal with when you live with a HOA. When you move in you sign a legal agreement to abide by the rules of the HOA. If you don't, you get sued. You might try to get a variance with the HOA but it can be hard to do, and has to be voted on by the officers, or maybe the whole group in the HOA, it depends on the rules.

And you can get assessed extra dues for a one-time improvement, like redoing the asphalt in the whole neighborhood, usually paid over 2-3 years.

It is a 6x10 Tuff Shed. Total cost was 2,500 bucks. It will have air conditioning to keep my LiFePO4 battery collection nice and happy. I will install a MASSIVE 48v 5kw system in it (this one). It will serve as a backup system for my house if the grid were to fail for prolonged duration. And as a super cool man cave:

View attachment 66
This is how I designed it to fit into my back yard and to match the color scheme of my house:
View attachment 65
I will have the front door facing north, and the south facing roof covered in solar panels. This MPP unit has 2x mppt's, so I will have 2x separate arrays on my property. Will talk about the solar panel array in another post.

The hardest part of this system is temperature regulation. It will be 110 degrees plus here in vegas. Luckily, we have lots of sunshine to run air conditioners off of solar power. If I can regulate the temperature of this shed with a couple of small ground mounted arrays, I will consider it a success.

What I love about sheds is that you can store/charge dangerous chemistries of batteries inside of them without the stress of having your house burned down. I do not use combustible batteries for solar (as many of you know haha) but I have some long range fpv drones I will be building in the following months. I have caught those batteries on fire too many times! And I am scared of them. I will charge them only in this shed.

I will also add lights, security cameras and so much more. I can't wait!

Let me know what you think or if I should add something :)
I think you've got a great plan and am sure youve thought about insulating it and maybe a high efficient mini split air conditioner. Projects are such a mans best friend , lol

I would never live in a HOA area. My house, my land, my rules. Too many problems with HOA communities telling everybody what they can, or can't do with your own property that you paid a lot of $$$ for.
I love my HOA. Keeps my neighbors in check and my area looks amazing (and no parking regulations or backyard rules). And its only 30 bucks a month. If I was paying 200-300 a month and had lots of rules, I would HATE hoa. So really depends on your hoa. And we never own our land. Its a lease by federal gov. We still have to follow a lot of rules. I had to read a real estate land law book some years back and you would be amazed at how much we can/cant do to our "own" land.

Will,
Good luck with the project.
If I was building it I would excavate a trench around my property and bury cooling lines instead of air conditioning. I try to keep my usage foot print as low as possible.
Rob

What is the issue with the temperature switch? Cycling too much? I've had good luck with external thermostatic controls that plug right in between the wall and the 110 plug. You can set the differential to anything you like to reduce cycling. I'm working on a solar powered swamp cooler that will be under $100 to build and easier to install than a window A/C unit. I'll post it up here when I'm done. In the meantime I have a spare control I'd be happy to send you if you want to try it out.

Will,
Good luck with the project.
If I was building it I would excavate a trench around my property and bury cooling lines instead of air conditioning. I try to keep my usage foot print as low as possible.
Rob

How would this work exactly? You run water through the pipes into a radiator of some type? Those pipes would have to be pretty deep I suppose?

Back