diy solar

diy solar

My Solar Shed Construction Starts in a Week

Unfortunately, politics creeps into everything...
It's like my budget, what I want to do, and what I can afford are two different things.

As far as someone off grid is concerned, a 'Shed' is insurance and I pretty much find it a requirement.
I went with 'Weather Proof' boxes, for equipment, for batteries, for wiring...
It gets costly and confused. (REALLY practical experience)

Dedicated SPACE is a HUGE issue!
When a guy is working and trying things, the space to do so is mandatory.
You just get 'Root Bound' and can't grow...

UV eats EVERYTHING, we get around 50-60 inches of rain a year, so moisture gets into everything, freeze/thaw cycle splits out everything the moisture can get into, temp swings condense moisture everywhere,
And limiting some of that can be a big deal over time.

Will won't have the moisture issues we have, but the UV will be unrelenting...
Any shade will help, and an enclosed building will be wonderful for his gear.

Under Trump, the EPA became the Environmental Pollution Agency, deregulating everything and allowing polluter's to pollute while harming the citizens, in the name of profit... damned ferenghi ! NOT Interested in the Political Bafflegab that has taken over from reality. They are ALL full of it and need to be "transported" (just like the brit's did for Australia) off planet though IMO.

ON TOPIC, a good solar shed should have a roof angled for the panels to get best coverage in Mar & Sep. A Shed roof can do that in most cases but when you get to 45 degrees, things get tricky. (that's 12/12 pitch for a gable roof). Using a "non-grounded" sea container actually acts like a faraday cage and does it quite well too, so if you had all your gear in there, your safe from solar emp's. If the EMP was nuclear, you would not be worried about your solar system ! A wooden framed shed that is wrapped with mesh and properly bonded together can also do the job quite nicely. BTW: Ever notice how you get poor or no signal in a building that has stucco on it (it's attached by wire mesh bonded to the walls).

ON TOPIC, a good solar shed should have a roof angled for the panels to get best coverage in Mar & Sep. A Shed roof can do that in most cases but when you get to 45 degrees, things get tricky. (that's 12/12 pitch for a gable roof). Using a "non-grounded" sea container actually acts like a faraday cage and does it quite well too, so if you had all your gear in there, your safe from solar emp's. If the EMP was nuclear, you would not be worried about your solar system ! A wooden framed shed that is wrapped with mesh and properly bonded together can also do the job quite nicely. BTW: Ever notice how you get poor or no signal in a building that has stucco on it (it's attached by wire mesh bonded to the walls).
I did bring up the Faraday cage above, but Will didn't respond.

I personally choose to avoid left vs right debates. It's an imposed polarization that just avoids objectively discussing real issues. Nearly all camps have humans, and thus corruption.

@JeepHammer I could not confirm Rick Perry saying that. Do you have a link to a quote? I could confirm that some viewed him as a threat to solar, though their claims end up being emotionally exaggerated too, making it hard to objectively view

Will, I'd love to see an update on your shed. Pretty cool. I admire your sunny location. I don't admire the heat waves you have to contend with... or the black widows, scorpions, rattle snakes, and things with long scientific names that I can never remember. You'll need to update us on critter invasions as well as how your energy inputs and outputs are working out. :)
OMG I lived in Hawaii for about 4 years. Those frickin milipedes were huge!

So I took the lv5048 down, and added the lv2424 grid tie that can parallel for split/single/3 phase!

And a update with the back up system. I love it! Tiny 48v system, but super powerful. Those are only 40Ah cells! But they pack a punch in this configuration. Lots of power for the size.

I will be adding the lv 5048 on the wall next to these systems. They will charge each other.

Attachments

• IMG_20200128_193342.jpg
    IMG_20200128_193342.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20200128_193404.jpg
    IMG_20200128_193404.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 19
This is the solar array in my back yard. The 3x 270W panels are connected in series. The 3x 100 watt panels in front are for testing equipment for videos. Just finished the array today

Attachments

• IMG_20200128_115130.jpg
    IMG_20200128_115130.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 37
It'll be cool if one day you do an entire off grid home from start to finish with solar plumbing, shower, heater, everything, you'll empower the world and free so many of the poor through your excellent videos.

This is the solar array in my back yard. The 3x 270W panels are connected in series. The 3x 100 watt panels in front are for testing equipment for videos. Just finished the array today
Awesome, @Will Prowse ! Can't wait to hear how you have the 24V and 48V MPP's charging each other.

Can you take picts or do a video of your mount? I'm imaging starting with a simple wood frame like what you have about the same height in my back yard in March, so am interested in your details.

I don't want to go all out with first mount because I want to learn from it and improve it over the years. I have 6x320Ws to mount. Planning to initially mount 2 in series first, then go from there.

And a update with the back up system. I love it! Tiny 48v system, but super powerful. Those are only 40Ah cells! But they pack a punch in this configuration. Lots of power for the size.

I see that you are still using the Smart BMS in your set-up (one of the earlier BMS's that you profiled in your 48v back-up system video with low temp cut-off). Still working ok? Wondering why you are preferring the newer app connected BMS over this one. Keep up the great work BTW

So I took the lv5048 down, and added the lv2424 grid tie that can parallel for split/single/3 phase!

I will be adding the lv 5048 on the wall next to these systems. They will charge each other.
nice

I see that you are still using the Smart BMS in your set-up (one of the earlier BMS's that you profiled in your 48v back-up system video with low temp cut-off). Still working ok? Wondering why you are preferring the newer app connected BMS over this one. Keep up the great work BTW
Oh I love it. I can't use it on a 4s configuration, that's all. It is my go to 48v bms. I actually messed up by balance cable and wired it incorrectly, and it didnt destroy it! Amazing bms. I love it so much actually. But I will make an update video about it. Its one of my favorites. I have tested it for multiple months now and it still runs flawlessly.

Is that the 123 Smart BMS your talking about, from the eastern block country? Looked at that one as my second choice, elected to go with Orion Jr 2 just because it was usa made. Not sure I made the correct decision, Orion requires a lot of effort and bits to make it function properly. Still in the learning mode on it. The 123 Smart looked much less complicated to operate though it did require some soldering. Is that true?

Will you be adding 'bonding' & 'grounding' and all that safety stuff people here talk about but us newbies bit clueless, maybe just me? If not, please do a video in the future to revist a simple setup but with safety stuff included. No YouTuber can simplify things like you do.

Alright! Great job! I love how simple and cheap AC is because it is so standardized.

What solar panels do you have on that? What gauge and length are the wires to your PV?

Can you share the PV side of that setup... DIN box? combiner? etc,...
All of that right here:

and its a single pv string array, so no ocpd needed.

Back