diy solar

diy solar

My Solar Shed Construction Starts in a Week

If you were doing this as a off grid system just for the shed and didn't have panels on the roof would you need permits to have your system? I live in New York and all the info I can find is about grid tied systems.

If you were doing this as a off grid system just for the shed and didn't have panels on the roof would you need permits to have your system? I live in New York and all the info I can find is about grid tied systems.

As regulations are wildly different from place to place I would call your local planning department. I would also take notes. date, time, who, and what.

Some areas require permits to change lightbulbs just about... some don’t care if you wire your house with extension cords...

I understand the need for permitting, but it more often than not is a county money making scheme... here in Charlotte, it has gotten crazy...

It is a 6x10 Tuff Shed. Total cost was 2,500 bucks. It will have air conditioning to keep my LiFePO4 battery collection nice and happy. I will install a MASSIVE 48v 5kw system in it (this one). It will serve as a backup system for my house if the grid were to fail for prolonged duration. And as a super cool man cave:

View attachment 66
This is how I designed it to fit into my back yard and to match the color scheme of my house:
View attachment 65
I will have the front door facing north, and the south facing roof covered in solar panels. This MPP unit has 2x mppt's, so I will have 2x separate arrays on my property. Will talk about the solar panel array in another post.

The hardest part of this system is temperature regulation. It will be 110 degrees plus here in vegas. Luckily, we have lots of sunshine to run air conditioners off of solar power. If I can regulate the temperature of this shed with a couple of small ground mounted arrays, I will consider it a success.

What I love about sheds is that you can store/charge dangerous chemistries of batteries inside of them without the stress of having your house burned down. I do not use combustible batteries for solar (as many of you know haha) but I have some long range fpv drones I will be building in the following months. I have caught those batteries on fire too many times! And I am scared of them. I will charge them only in this shed.

I will also add lights, security cameras and so much more. I can't wait!

Let me know what you think or if I should add something :)
You need to make it into a faraday shed, so you will be bullet-proof if the grid goes down! Will it be tied into the grid if there are blackouts? In CA people with solar also had blackouts, which really made me think! Cool shed Will!

Geez, you guys just have no clue. Down here the panels emit light instead of absorbing it.

The FAR Right Wing are actually pumping the 'Theory' the reason we have 'Climate Change' is Solar Panels DAMAGE THE SUN!

My sister actually called me to ask if it was true when then Governor Rick Perry said it out loud in Texas...
Rick Perry just resign from heading up the EPA.

After being asked why Texas isn't investing in Solar/Wind, Texas Governor Greg Abbott says, "No one knows what solar panels do to the sun and we don't get enough wind in Texas to make windmills work."

I can't remember the congressman's name that said solar panels damage the sun, but there are the three I know about for sure...

----------------

I'm pretty sure the folks in California wished they had gone to some kind of backup solar or wind generation!
I started my homestead Off Grid in '96, I learned some new cuss words and had to do all the early stuff twice, but I haven't paid an electric, water or sewer bill since...

That left room in the budget for expansion!
It costs $63 a month just to have the privilege of paying 35¢ kWh here, Rural Electric rates!
The 'Average' US Home sucks up 30 kWh a DAY!

Last edited:
The FAR Right Wing are actually pumping the 'Theory' the reason we have 'Climate Change' is Solar Panels DAMAGE THE SUN!

My sister actually called me to ask if it was true when then Governor Rick Perry said it out loud in Texas...

After being asked why Texas isn't investing in Solar/Wind, Texas Governor Greg Abbott says, "No one knows what solar panels do to the sun and we don't get enough wind in Texas to make windmills work."

I can't remember the congressman's name that said solar panels damage the sun, but there are the three I know about for sure...

----------------

I'm pretty sure the folks in California wished they had gone to some kind of backup solar or wind generation!
I started my homestead Off Grid in '96, I learned some new cuss words and had to do all the early stuff twice, but I haven't paid an electric, water or sewer bill since...

It costs $63 a month just to have the privilege of paying 35¢ kWh here, Rural Electric rates!
Yup... when I heard this I about fell over... I thought it was a SNL skit...

I would LOVE to see their logic about them damaging the sun... like... mebby ‘cause duh SON is only 3000miles away from our flat erf!

Funny how the private wind & solar farms can make money without the state tax breaks, free land, abatments, grants, etc,
There are several school districts using wind farms to generate income for the schools... Non-profits so the tax breaks/abatments/free land & services the fossil fuel companies get, being non-profit evens the field a little...
The fact that schools have to scrounge money might explain why there isn't an education in things like science, and people get duped into believing wind & solar don't work,
-And even solar panels damage the sun and cause global warming.

----------------

Are you sure they're not far left??

Are you sure they're not far left??
I personally choose to avoid left vs right debates. It's an imposed polarization that just avoids objectively discussing real issues. Nearly all camps have humans, and thus corruption.

@JeepHammer I could not confirm Rick Perry saying that. Do you have a link to a quote? I could confirm that some viewed him as a threat to solar, though their claims end up being emotionally exaggerated too, making it hard to objectively view.

Will, I'd love to see an update on your shed. Pretty cool. I admire your sunny location. I don't admire the heat waves you have to contend with... or the black widows, scorpions, rattle snakes, and things with long scientific names that I can never remember. You'll need to update us on critter invasions as well as how your energy inputs and outputs are working out. :)

I personally choose to avoid left vs right debates. It's an imposed polarization that just avoids objectively discussing real issues. Nearly all camps have humans, and thus corruption.

@JeepHammer I could not confirm Rick Perry saying that. Do you have a link to a quote? I could confirm that some viewed him as a threat to solar, though their claims end up being emotionally exaggerated too, making it hard to objectively view.

Will, I'd love to see an update on your shed. Pretty cool. I admire your sunny location. I don't admire the heat waves you have to contend with... or the black widows, scorpions, rattle snakes, and things with long scientific names that I can never remember. You'll need to update us on critter invasions as well as how your energy inputs and outputs are working out. :)
I couldn't agree more. It is all about divide and conquer. I TRY to stay out of politics all together. I have my opinions though and mostly keep them to myself. I live in a town with mostly far-left beliefs and political persuasions. Everyone I have ever heard who discusses "climate change" (actually climate manipulation), is far-left. OK, I'm out with the politics...would love to see an update on Will's shed, but he's probably been really busy with writing his new book and all. ;-)

You folks do know that there was serious conversation about installing solar reflectors either earth based or in space to reflect damaging sun back into space. I would think all the solar panels might be helping keep the earth cool.... :cool:
No wind in TEXAS!!!!! That idiuot has never been to West Texas! And there are tons of windmills in White Deer Texas and in the panhandle.

You folks do know that there was serious conversation about installing solar reflectors either earth based or in space to reflect damaging sun back into space. I would think all the solar panels might be helping keep the earth cool.... :cool:
No wind in TEXAS!!!!! That idiuot has never been to West Texas! And there are tons of windmills in White Deer Texas and in the panhandle.
Oh boy...they're already doing it with Geoengineering and weather manipulation, using chaf, aluminum, etc.

Back