diy solar

diy solar

New EG4 LL

Easy to access might also mean easy to access... with something conductive ;·)
-
Previous comments about the terminals were that the breaker and or screen didn't allow the cable to run vertically. With that being the only complaint about the terminals, why would you make it worse?

Hey, maybe no one complained, but they leaned a metal case or something across the terminals themselves at the warehouse... I don't know... some reason they must have had :·)
-

Hey, maybe no one complained, but they leaned a metal case or something across the terminals themselves at the warehouse... I don't know... some reason they must have had :·)
-
Maybe UL requirements, looks a bit like how a breaker terminal is recessed into a cavity in the plastic case.

Maybe UL requirements, looks a bit like how a breaker terminal is recessed into a cavity in the plastic case.
No it’s not a requirement.
The esthetics look better with the cables being low profile but looks should never trump the engineering requirements for safety.

Clearly, it's designed for a short takeoff to side mounted busbars with a heavier cable run... I suspect there's a plastic cover similar to the gyll/lifepower4. After all those other improvements, I find it interesting that the only thing you have to talk about is a relatively minor design feature.

These are definitely made to fit in the rack mount with the bus bar on the sides. It will work way better this way in that application. If you want to spread them out on a shelf, this is probably less ideal.

I kind of wish these were out a few months ago, I probably would have ended up with these over the Homegrid Stack'd that I got for $$$. I wanted something that would talk to my Sol-Ark directly and these would have done the trick. Oh well, what's another $5K?

Clearly, it's designed for a short takeoff to side mounted busbars with a heavier cable run... I suspect there's a plastic cover similar to the gyll/lifepower4. After all those other improvements, I find it interesting that the only thing you have to talk about is a relatively minor design feature.
Terminal connections most likely a manufacturing cost saving measure, but Dual On-board Fire Arrestors should be a great selling point. Many other improvements (if in released product) will also make some feel it is a product they can safely install in their home. With more flexibility with different inverters available. Wait and see is all we can do.

Clearly, it's designed for a short takeoff to side mounted busbars with a heavier cable run...
Looks like a pain, with the small cable. Would be worse with a larger cable.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220917-081448_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20220917-081448_Gmail.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 37
I find it interesting that the only thing you have to talk about is a relatively minor design feature.
The first priority should be usability.
If you limit how and where it can be used, it doesn't matter if it's made of gold and gives back massages.

Terminal connections most likely a manufacturing cost saving measure, but Dual On-board Fire Arrestors should be a great selling point. Many other improvements (if in released product) will also make some feel it is a product they can safely install in their home. With more flexibility with different inverters available. Wait and see is all we can do.
This is the production model. It's available, now.

Makes me wonder if EG4 will come out with a custom "joiner" to connect the battery terminals to the rack busbars.

I notice the Chint breaker got left in the dust.

Makes me wonder if EG4 will come out with a custom "joiner" to connect the battery terminals to the rack busbars.

I notice the Chint breaker got left in the dust.
An "L" shaped bus bar, would work. But shorting to the folding handle would be a concern. This bus bar would need a protective cover.

It looks like a 48V telco/network battery design.
I cannot recall who originated the design, I think it was Eaton or someone Eaton acquired, but they were/are built to drop into a rack with 48V bus bars. You just use a jumper to connect them to the string and supply the rack.

I don't know who is still using this design, but it's a really compact form factor. I think most of the larger players moved to anderson style connectors since it's easier to connect and must less chance of personal or equipment damage when connecting things up in a live state.

At the time, it was a hot idea because of the efficiency gained by staying DC in the rack. The Hyperscalers have moved away from in-rack UPS to battery rooms after a couple of notable fires, so I haven't seen this application recently, but maybe it's still preferred for Cell Tower cabinets, etc.

The front panel display is not something I recall, especially in color, so it must have a decent BMS to drive the screen and offer all of the connectivity options.

Looks like SS spent some time refining the manual and focused on the information rather than the appearance for this one. I'd bet Richard has had some late nights as a result.

Back